Dual Batteries

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 19:57
ThreadID: 4412 Views:1339 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Need to put a second battery in my GQ for a trip to Cape York in June. I will be using a century deep cycle/cranking battery and I just want to put in a solenoid type set up instead of the expensive auto arrangements. Can anyone specify a solenoid or do I just make sure it is a quality unit?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB vic - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:08

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:08
make sure it is a continuos solenoid not a starting type as i believe the starting type burn out with power on all the time mnot sure of exact names but auto elec will know also hook up onto accessories so it doesnt
drag power when starting you can put apush button bypass in so that if you get flat battery you feed power back to start car if you have enough in 2nd battery89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
AnswerID: 17712

Follow Up By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:48

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:48
i bought a startertype solonoid mainly coz it was cheap $25 been in 12 mths.no problems yet aux batt always charged and has been in 12mths this easter.
looking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 11123

Reply By: Shane - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:17

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:17
Boyco,
Go to any reputable Auto Elec, and ask for a continuos rating SILVER contact solenoid. The Silver contacts last much longer left held in than copper. Wire up the system so your accessorys are running of your Auxilary, so you utilise your normal battery for starting. that way when you are driving you can recharge by engaging solenoid, minimising time contacts are engaged.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 17713

Reply By: rors101 - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:31

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:31
GQ should be less suseptable than the newer computer everything cars for spike damage - either way if you only switch the solinoid while the engine is off, you can save a lot of trouble - I zapped my boats Alt regulator with a similar set up - the house batts were very low at the time though.
I am planning to hard wire one of those anti-zap devices like used on the expensive jumper leads just as soon as someone can confirm they dont have a constant power draw.
AnswerID: 17744

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 14:11

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 14:11
Hi Boyco,

Here's a tip I picked up recently on another forum from a very knowledgable person (he writes articles and books on electrics)...

"Vehicle electrics are designed to cope with surges (they are developed anyway as windscreen wiper motors are switched on/off etc) - but high current solenoids can develop exceptionally big spikes.

A diode only costs $1.50 or so and it's well worth including as insurance. It should be wired across the solenoid activating coil and as close to it as
feasible. It absorbs the spikes."

We had our GU back the the auto sparky yesterday to put in the diode. Very cheap insurance considering he didn't even charge us.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 17774

Reply By: boyco - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 21:14

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 21:14
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will see the auto elec in a couple of weeks.

Boyco
AnswerID: 17862

Sponsored Links