Spot light regulations

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:08
ThreadID: 4432 Views:6858 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have been told by mates that my Bull light spottie is not legal.

1. It is too high from the ground.......135cm
2. You may only fit two spotlights

So I have been searching through the South Australian Road Transport Act and.......found nothing relating to spotlights. Then I went in to the Commonwealth Gov. Vehicle Standards Act but got tired of looking as these websites are made to confuse you.

Anyone out there with knowledge of where to search for the TRUTH !Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:47

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:47
Funny you should say that. I was told similar, but my car was engineered with 2 x Rally 2000s on top of the bar.(pics on my site)

I asked him about it, he didnt seem fussed biut them quoted a few regs to me

"Driver must be able to see an item 11mtrs infront of the car from normal drivers seat seated position..."

I could, but was lookin at a coke tin, he didnt mention what the item has to be, could be a matchbox if they wanna be anal about it..

Call your local, or go into your local RTA/South Aussie Roads office and ask for a print out on the ruling.

anyone in Vic that wants to know for sure, ask

Kevin Williams. (VicRoads Engineer)
9434 7687.
0417 383 349

Thats who engineered my car.
AnswerID: 17804

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:16

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 22:16
Thanks Truckster.

I can see the road 5 metres directly in front of me and 10 metres sideways over the spottie and about 8 metres over the spare tyre. My seat sits me up high. It is quite weird as when I pass late model 4x4's I can see over their roof or what they are playing with in their lap unless they have a lift kit fitted. Only a Troopie comes close to my level. My old dear is stock standard but I do have new HD springs under her.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 11162

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 19:10

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 19:10
Have seen Cop cars with spotties on top of the bullbar here (Taz).
Had my bull light on top for 5 years in 3 different states never even got a sideways look!
Brian
FollowupID: 11198

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:51

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:51
In NSW it is illegal , Nothing protruding past front of bull bar or on top , ie fishing rod holders , spotties .Incase you hurt a roo as it passes over your bar:) :) :)Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 17835

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 13:03

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 13:03
What if they dont go past the front edge of the bar ?? Is it on top or just things protruding?
FollowupID: 11181

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 14:02

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 14:02
Just checked NSW regs and basically say - no sharp object shall protrude forward or above the bull bar that may cause injury such as rod holders or spot light brackets. No bull bar shall have any sharp protrusions facing forward and nothing shall be mounted on the bull bar that will limit or inhibit the drivers vision in any direction.
Talking about roos, I once had a mate who worried about a roo coming over the bullbar and through the windscreen. I told him it was all in the timing, you gotta hit them on the down bounce so they go under not on the up bounce - he thought it was a fair answer. Guess waht he hit a year later - a wild horse in the NT - gee it did some damage, crunched the whole bull bar and radiator to bits.
Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 17846

Reply By: Robjo - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 15:43

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 15:43
I went through this trying to see if I could fit lights on the roll/sports bar onthe hilux, 1st of got anegative answer, then I asked again after the jeep came out wth the lights on the roof, here is the email I received from Trasport SA:

Dear Sir,
> In reply to your email received 21/01/2003 in regards to fitting
> driving lights to the roll bar of your dual cab utility. The following
> information should assist you.
> The maximum amount of high beam lights allowed fitted to vehicle (a
> vehicle with four wheels) shall be no more than three pairs (6),
> driving lights where possible shall be fitted in pairs.
>
> Road Traffic (vehicle standards) Rules 1999
> 81. (1) When on, a headlight, or additional headlight, fitted to a
> vehicle
> must:
>
> (a) show only white light; and
> (b) project its main beam of light ahead of the vehicle.
> (2) Headlights must be fitted to a vehicle so their light does
> not reflect off the vehicle into the driver's eyes.
>
> 82. (3) A high-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the
> vehicle for at least 50 metres.
>
> 83. (a) A vehicle must be fitted with a dipping device enabling the
> driver in the normal driving position:
> (I) to change the headlights from high-beam position to the low-beam
> position or
>
> (ii) simultaneously to switch off a high-beam headlight and
> switch on a low-beam headlight; and
>
> (b) for a vehicle built after June 1953-a device to indicate to
> the driver that the headlights are in the high-beam position.
>
> (3) When a headlight fitted to a vehicle is switched to the low-beam position, any other headlight on the vehicle must operate only in the low-beam position or be off.
>
>
AnswerID: 17847

Reply By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 19:18

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 19:18
Thanks all for your replies. Basically there is nothing wrong with my spottie as it does not impede my vision and it is not a sharp object and it does not protrude from the bullbar. It would seem to be a matter of conjecture as to the absolute regulation. I just need to be sure so if I get pulled up I may have some knowledge up my sleeve.

A couple of weeks ago we had our bi-ennial 'Show and Shine' in our town and I had the Nissan on display. The local constabulary had a good look at it and said nothing. So!!!

Don't worry...be happy .....Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 17853

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 20:42

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 20:42
Willem,
It look's loke you got the good oil but if you were heading interstate, I'd take a copy of the SA regs with you as your vehicle complies with our Regs, an interstate copper may need some convincing that it compies here where it is registered.
Happy travels
AlpacaAlpaca
FollowupID: 11200

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 07:15

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 07:15
Thanks Alpaca. That is a good idea. Have done so.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 11212

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 16:32

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 16:32
Carrying the SA regs wont do you any good if your in Queensland!! Would they? its like trucks in NSW they have one Max weight limit, then you cross into Vic, and its all different, you get done for over limit.... Or was for years...

This is the fine line..

In Vic, you DONT have to register some box trailers that are considered "Garden" trailers I think they are (anyone able to help here?)..

Now if I towed this to NSW, with no plate on it, or the cars # plate painted on it like people do here in Sunny Victoria, I KNOW what would happen...
FollowupID: 11268

Reply By: Dick Holland - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:23

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:23
In so far as NSW is concerned, or it was the last time I looked, driving lights were not permitted above the normal headlamps of the vehicle, and that they must turn off when the headlamps are on low beam.

An odd bit of legislation is that they must be turned off when a vehicle is approaching, it does not say from front or rear.

Anyway, I wouldn't get too excited about this, I have never heard of the cops worrying about lights, cripes look at some of their vehicles. They have HF aerials hanging off bull-bars, tow-bars and all other manner of paraphernalia. So does the RTA. So if it is good enough for them, then??????

Dick
AnswerID: 17885

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 16:34

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 16:34
All I want is someone to tell me how Jeep got the new Wrangler is it with spotties on the roof passed thru ADR's if its illegal..

$$?
AnswerID: 17964

Reply By: Matt M - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:46

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:46
Willem, if you have the SA regs in writing and there is no reference directly stating your lights are illegal then go for it, just keep a copy!

If you travel interstate and get an officer in the wrong mood, most states ADR's stipulate the height of any additional light above groung level. From memory its 120 cm maximum!! I had to remove my roll cage light a few years ago in NSW to pass a Roadworthy, they were connected correctly and dipped with the high beam! Then in Queensland same story with the height!
I have had the pleasure of working as a mechanic in nearly every state in Aust and I also remember the NAtional Regs came into effect a few years ago!! So Im not sure if the "its legal in SA" excuse would work!
But as most have said, even if it is written, it would all depend on the copper and what mood he/she was in!

Hope the info helps and happy travels!
Matt.
AnswerID: 17978

Sponsored Links