Trans. Railway Line access road.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:12
ThreadID: 4446 Views:6429 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We are coming back east from WA in mid-July and have decided to use the access track along the Trans Australia Railway line. Other than it is not well maintained can anyone shed any further information. For example fuel, things to see or do (I know there won't be much) and any other tips.

I am travelling with others who I'll probably have to assist as they drive Toyota's, I own a Td5 Landy, and we have off road camper trailers.

Also what is this country like if it is wet, do we move slowly, stop or really stop?

Dick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Neil & Lynne(Bunbury) - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:11

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:11
For your info, this comment is from the "track conditions" page on this site:............

The only section of the Trans Continental Railway access track that is open to the public is between Kalgoorlie and Rawlinna (WA).
The remainder of the access line is private property and they have specifically requested that we advise the 4WD community that no requests for access will be considered. No permit system available. On the spot fines can be issued by train personnel - the fine is hefty, however we know that many people ignore the regulation and travel the route illegally. Consider yourself officially advised!

I can't help with any more than this.

Neil.Life's too short to say .. I can't do that
AnswerID: 17887

Reply By: DesF - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:21

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:21
Hi. Have to agree with Neil. In SA the line is patroled by security in a 4WD. We have always used the line road to get about on our bikes ( just to keep off the highway for safety). And last month got stopped by them and they said it is a $500.00 fine. Because it is owned by a private company. Cheers "Des"
AnswerID: 17907

Reply By: Alan H - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:14

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:14
Dick, I'm a Defender Td5 owner as well, and have made my Toyota bully boy acquantaincies (couldn't possibly call them friends) make their own arrangements for breakdowns as they hold me up too much!
Seriously, has everybody noticed how many places have notices up banning off road vehicles from bush and beach with large fines for non compliance. Apart from the obvious dangers from the few trains on that line, what harm can you do with a bit of commonsense use?
The lock it up mentallity is getting out of hand now, and close to where I live in the far northern suburbs of Perth, signs have recently been erected banning all vehicles from proceeding past the top of Marmion Avenue to access the beach or just do a bit of off road driving.
$1000 fine for disobediance! The thing is this land is going to be under the tracks of the dozers in the not too distant future for development for housing. so what possible damage can be done by us which they're not going to do but a thousand times worse.
Silly me, maybe it's because the council "owe us a duty of care" and are protecting us from ourselves!
AnswerID: 18081

Sponsored Links