Transfers on Terrano doors

Submitted: Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 18:47
ThreadID: 4452 Views:1471 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have transfers on the doors of my Nissan Terrano that spell out TERRANO in big letters. I would like to remove them so I may add a couple of grey strips instead. Tried to remove them and they will not peel off evenly, breaking off in small 2x2 cm bits.
Anyone taken off these stick on transfers succesfully ??
Or is there any compound orfluid that helps to soften the glue, without wrecking the paint work? Shall be trying metho then petrol in a few days but if someone can enlighten me I shall be able to overcome a trial & error sequence. Many thanks......... Derric.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 19:12

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 19:12
Been down this road before, ended up taking it to a panelbeater who used some special rubber wheel on a real slow air tool that takes them off very easily.

It was cheaper for me to get it done than to buy the wheel.

AnswerID: 17902

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:29

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:29
DERRIC,

Try a hair dryer or hot air gun, works for me, and same advice was given to me by local sign writer. Use metho to clean up remnants of glue. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 17908

Reply By: Dave - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 21:00

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 21:00
Derric,
As mentioned above, a hairdyer or hot air gun works a treat. Just tickle up the end of the transfer as you heat it and then gently pull up while holding the heat on as you go.

Just be carefull not to stop in one place with the heat too long as the transfer will get too soft and break off.

Cheers,

Dave.
AnswerID: 17911

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 20:54

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 20:54
My wife and son run a signwriting shop here in Cairns http://www.cairns.net.au/~signs/ and do this type of work constantly. Heat is the simplest and best method followed by eucalypyus oil to remove remaining adhesive. Be very careful using metho on 2\pak paints as it will disolve many of them. Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 17972

Sponsored Links