Optima Battery

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 03, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 447 Views:2089 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody had any experience with the Optima Battery in their Diesel 4WD? I know they are a little more expensive than comparable conventional battery, however I am a big believer in you get what you pay for. The application I would specifically like to know about is in the 1998 model 3.0L Diesel Jackaroo's. But willing to listen to any comments about this battery in any application. Cheers, Dion.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeremy - Friday, Oct 05, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 05, 2001 at 00:00
Optima Batteries are very good !, Maybe slightly over priced but you are right you get what you pay for !
I have been setting up battery management systems in 4wd's and running them my self now for some
years and gained all my training from a Auto Electrical based 4wd shop in Vic, First thing we found was that all modern voltage sensed alternators,
which are on all cars today over charge and kill standard deep cycle batteries !!, they like charge in slow and current out slow !
So if you want to use lead acid batteries use a standard n70zz battery (in most 4wd's) they will not run you fride as long but
will take charge much easier and not give many probs !!!!. Now the best batteries we found were for the
price Delkor deep cycle calcium batteries, Dc24 or DC27, being calcium love the high output alternators
and run your fride for long periods of time !!!!.......and as a added bonus calcum does not sulphate as mush and therefor
last up to 10 times longer ! They are sealed and compleatly maintence free, and also still have enough cranking amps to start
your vehicle if need be !!! Not bad !!!.........But its a good idea to flatten and charge with a good output charger half
a doz times when new !!, breaks the resistance and gets them taking charge better ! Optima are good !!!! But for the Money
I would buy Delkor ! Also If money is not a option ??? Find out some details on Soneshen (i think thats how you spell it ?)
They are a german battery and are UNBELEVIABLE !!!...... ben around for years and years ! made in Germany and will
last for over 10 years !, i have some going now in a houseboats for there 14th Year and they have more poke than you
would ever need ! I hope i have been some help ???.... Email me for any other info jeremy@murraytrek.com.au
AnswerID: 1179

Follow Up By: Nigel - Saturday, Oct 06, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 06, 2001 at 00:00
I had lots of trouble with a calcium battery in my 95 Patrol. If it was moer than half flat the alternator would not recharge it. Even on 6-8 hour trips. The only way I could keep it servicable was to put it on a 4 amp mains charger once a month. I was later told that calcium batteries work better down south than up in the tropics.
FollowupID: 344

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Oct 06, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 06, 2001 at 00:00
Have an Optima in my troopy with no worries. I have a Pirahna dual battery system. Charges AMAZINGLY fast. They are quite a small battery for the power so you can often squeeze a couple in where you would only get one lead acid type - if you need the grunt
AnswerID: 1180

Reply By: Dion - Thursday, Oct 11, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 11, 2001 at 00:00
Fella's, thanks for the replies. Cheers, Dion.
AnswerID: 1202

Sponsored Links