80 series diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 20:01
ThreadID: 4472 Views:1480 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i have an 80 series diesel [1hz motor] LC. Lately i have noticed i get a small puf of blue smoke from the exhaust when i put my foot down mainly when i first take off. The motor has been completely rebuilt approx 30000 kms ago. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, it doesn,t lack any power. Any help would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 23:00

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 23:00
Sometimes they get a bit of oil come down the crankcase ventilation pipe although this seemed to be more common on the factory turbos.
AnswerID: 17987

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 07:34

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 07:34
Scott,

Our 97 80 series turbo, smokes blue when cold, at idle. Once it warms up, no sign of anything. Uses no oil at 205,000km.

Does yours use an abnormal amount of oil? If not, I wouldn't worry. If the rebuild was well done, you've got lots of life in it . Hooroo...
AnswerID: 17994

Reply By: Wil - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 20:46

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 20:46
G'day Scott

I have a 97-80 Series TD which I bought last year. Does a puff of bluish smoke when taking off from morning start up. After that it's good as gold. It's done 80000Km according to records. Feels really tight, so no reason to doubt it. I checked the oil after running 3500Km from service and it's still good.

If yours is the same then you should not worry too much.

Regards
AnswerID: 18037

Follow Up By: scott - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:49

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:49
thanks to all that have answered. have spoke to a mechanic he said keep an eye on oil level, could be valve stem seals. but it doesnt blow smoke when i start it in the mornings. the smoke seems to be when you first accelerate then it will go . it doesnt matter if it the engine is cold or hot. have checked oil level it has dropped about 3mm on the dipstick in approx 1200kms. is there any test i can do to tell me exactly why it is blowing smoke? thanks again in advance
FollowupID: 11440

Reply By: Wil - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:48

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:48
Scott

Have at look at the archive. I have raised the question sometime around Christmas & got heaps of reply regarding this. Mind you, your motor has been done up so there is no indication of whether it's workmanship or the likes.

The only thing I suspect "may" be the Turbo unit. When underload hard, I see more smoke when first take off. If I let her crawl away, then the cloud is less significant. I did noticed another 80 series doing the same thing while pulling up a hill on a camp site in the early hours.

If the leak is valve stem, why does it only do it on the very 1st underload take off? After that, I can leave it till late afternoon & drive her up without any trace of smoke. Bearing in mind, it is a very big motor and mechanical clearances etc for normal operation. But mine is not drinking oil, so be it.

Let me know if you find out something of interest. Rgds :)

AnswerID: 18273

Sponsored Links