non-touristy campsites in qld

Submitted: Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 18:59
ThreadID: 4490 Views:2950 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
First of all I'd like to say what an imformative site this is. I just discovered it and am hooked totally!

We are looking for a campsite that's very quiet and quite secluded, preferably near water, river, lake, or ocean. Somewhere inland would be good, but within 3 hours drive of Toowoomba. We want to take a long weekend and get away with my sister and her partner. Not fussed about facilities, quite willing to go feral for a few days.
Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance,

Oh, we don't have a 4wd so needs to be accessable.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 19:07

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 19:07
Hoew about Girraween NAtional Park, great spot.
AnswerID: 18024

Follow Up By: Kylie&Tony - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 19:11

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 19:11
Thanks for your reply.
I did think about Girraween, went there on a school camp but I don't remember much about it. Is there a river there? Is there just the one main camping ground?
thanks again
FollowupID: 11310

Follow Up By: chopper - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 19:20

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 19:20
Two main camp grounds, one down by the creek and the other a little higher up.
hopefully this link will take you somewhere

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/w3-msql/environment/park/discover/resultframe.html?id=216

You may need to cut and paste in two sections
FollowupID: 11312

Reply By: haze - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 19:51

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 19:51
Totally agree with Chopper, and just a little to the west is Sundown np, both absolutely tops for a quiet weekend. However, a little bit further south and over the border is the tiny (and historic) tin mining village of Torrington. Great for bush camping and a very friendly pub. Also only 3hrs. from Twmba!
Cheers, & aagw! Haze
AnswerID: 18032

Reply By: dougie - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 20:48

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 20:48
is the hinterland on the gold coast 2 far??/
if not near Kunungra army base is a top spot fresh water and tons of the eel tale cat fish.( use worms and fish on dusk. Were gloves and watch out for the 3 spikes on there head!! Dead tastie!!!) has a dunny and is totally freeeee.
about 2 ks past the army main gate you cross a little bridge the camp site is on the right
AnswerID: 18038

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:16

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:16
Head inland..... we travelled oz with a couple of friends. After the middle and outback we hit the coast. Yuk! Golden yuppies everywhere. Our friends went to beach resorts while we headed for the hills. As we made our way south we met up several times and enjoyed the beach. The campsites in national parks and forestry areas were far superior [non touristy.... and cheap]. That was a dozen years ago. Maybe the disease has headed inland. Cheers RoyceRoyce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 18043

Reply By: tristjo - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:34

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:34
Try Peach Trees, near Jimna, which is about 2hrs from T'ba, and has heaps of room, open grassy campsites, on the banks of a creek. Hot showers, flush toilets, very quiet during the week, but heaps of room for weekends as well. Also Booloumba Creek, which is down the Jimna range via the Sunday creek road, there are 3 different campgrounds, but two require bookings, but are alongside a creek, amongst rainforest, and this ground has more secluded campsites than Peach Trees. Try www.epa.qld.gov.au, and go to National parks and forests. Have camped at these spots many times, and every time think how lucky we are to have such excellent spots so close to town, that don't get overcrowded. Enjoy yourself! Tristjo.
AnswerID: 18045

Reply By: relaxed (Fraser Coast QLD) - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 23:14

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 23:14
If you like the ocean, you might like to think about Inskip Point (southern end of Fraser Island). Its a National Park run camp area, their is tiolets and thats it.Rainbow beach is only about 15km away from it and you will need to get your water at Rainbow. Word of warning, leave going there until at least a couple of weeks. I was there on Sunday and it was tent city, but there are times when you just about have the place to yourself.
Relaxed
AnswerID: 18053

Follow Up By: Kylie&Tony - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:15

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:15
Wow! Thanks everyone. Thats given us heaps to think about.
FollowupID: 11324

Reply By: Damian M - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 19:31

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 19:31
Have you thought about Nanango? Especially the "7 Mile Diggings".

It is an excellent spot and Not many people go there. It is well set up though. The only thing is, You Need A 4WD. If you don't, forget the 7 Mile Diggings. I'd say the reason for not many people visiting is the fact it's only accessable by 4WD or foot.
AnswerID: 18618

Sponsored Links