hoons.... tread lightly

Submitted: Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:34
ThreadID: 4496 Views:1967 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
So ... we had a great day yesterday. Paddled down the Thomson River. Son and daughter accompanied. Great particularly because son [20] has left home and we don't get out together so much.
He brought his 4wd for the pick up at the other end. They should make circular rivers!

So...... a bunch of 4wder were at the other end. Nice enough people I think. They were just having fun. There were about 8 or ten of them. They assembled in the middle of the ford and up the river a bit. They took photos as everyone demonstrated how good they were at crossing rivers. Well sitting in middle of rivers. ......

Then they took it in turns to 'burn' up the river bank ripping the exit and spectacularly bouncing and sliding as they did. They had great fun.

They also did a fair bit of damage to the exit. A couple eased their way up using just enough revs to keep moving with minimal wheel slip.

This gets worse. ... My son headed off down into the river and made a show of shooting up the bank, mud and rock flying. They all gave him an appreciative cheer too.

I love four wheel driving.... At least I love going places that need four wheel driving to get to. I can also see the fun of playing in the mud and seeing what you can do. I don't like to do it much... but I do understand.

My problem is... I hated seeing the damage and the influence these people had on my son. I am not stupid. If I had gotten stuck into him other than a minor comment... I would have not really achieved much. I am only his Dad.

I guess that this is just one section of 4wdrivers and we can't really change them.

My son and his mates love racing through the bush with their dirt bikes. Yep great fun. I don't like what it does. All the other kids in the bush do this too. I just hope he [and they] grow out of it.

Not a question... just a sad commentry.

Oh yeah!.. Last year, the exit to the river was really ripped out and I had to get up it myself. It took a fair run at it and a couple of goes. I felt the thrill and was pretty proud of my effort. It probably looked pretty spectacular, 'specially with my rig. I had to do it.... yes I did.

Still .... I didn't like what I saw yesterday.......
Royce www.funshow.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 23:51

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 23:51
I understand - totalyCarpe Diem
AnswerID: 18056

Reply By: mich - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 08:39

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 08:39
WE WENT TO THE DARGO AREA DURING JANUARY FOR A QUITE WEEKEND JUST TO SIT NEAR A RIVER AND WATCH THE DAYS GO BY. AND TO LET OUR 3 KIDS UNDER 10 PLAY IN THE RIVER .
BUT 20-30 BLOKES OFF ALL AGES (MINDLESS MEN IN 4X4S AND MOTOR BIKES STUFFED THAT UP. THEY REVED, RACED UP AND DOWN THE HILLS DURING THE NIGHT AND ALL DAY. THEY TORE UP AND DOWN NOT GIVING A STUFF ABOUT US , WE WERE SITTING IN THE DUST ALL DAY AND NIGHT. THESE BOYS WE FROM THE A LARGE COUNTRY TOWN.
ITS GREAT TO SEE DUNNY PAPER, BEER CANS, RUBBISH LEFT AFTER THEY LEAVE THE CAMP.CAMP FIRES STILL LIT AND NOT PUT OUT. BUT THESE BOYS ARE HAVEING A GOOD WEEKEND AWAY , BOYS HAVING FUN.
IT IS ALWAYS A SMALL MINDLESS GROUP THAT STUFFS IT UP FOR EVERY ONE. IT WONT BE LONG BEFORE THE GOVERMENT CLOSES THINGS DOWN, PUTS SIGNS UP NO CAMPING, NO DRIVING ACROSS HERE. NO DOING THIS AND THAT. PEOPLE HAVE TO START THINKING FOR THEM SELVES. WHEN THIS HAPPENS THEY WILL BLAME THE GREENIES, FOR THE CLOSURE. I AM NOT A GREENIE BUT I ENJOY CAMPING FREE, WHERE I LIKE, FISHING AND ENJOY LOOKING AROUND WITH OUR 4X4 AND TENT AND VAN. I ENJOY LIFE AND WHAT THIS GREAT COUNTRY HAS TO OFFER.
AnswerID: 18063

Reply By: David N. - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:09

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:09
I can only agree with the comments here totally- I too have a 20 year old son (and an 18 and a 16 and an 11yr old!!) and as you say- good time together is precious.
Only problem is I don't really even have the beginning of a solution!
Best I can offer is to pick your time and try to discuss it all- not easy I know.
Every time my wife and I try to discuss something slightly touchy he jumps down our throats! What do you do- I dunno!
AnswerID: 18066

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:33

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:33
And we wonder why 4wd's get so much negative attention. We spent Easter at Bendeella Picnic and Camping Area just out of Kangaroo Valley for what we thought would be a relaxing break with our 3 year old daughter. It's a beautiful spot maintained by the Water Catchment Authority on the Kangaroo River. It's free and resembles a golf course by a river. The WCA also went to the trouble of locating portable toilets around the campsite as well as cleaning the amenities twice a day and emptying bins daily. There is also private security guards there to maintain order. Well, on Good Friday it started, large groups of young blokes, loud music (i mean real loud), tearing up the wet grass in the 4x4's, abuse to all other campers, smashed beer bottles on the roads, portable toilets upended, firecrackers (or home made copper bombs). It was absolutely disgusting. There was zero consideration for anyone else in the area. My wife even had to endure explicit sexual inuendo on the way to the toilets with our three year old daughter. In the end we came home a day early as my duaghter was absolutely terrified of the noise at night. Instead of being a peaceful relaxing holiday we spent our time reflecting on how inconsiderate and disgusting people can be. We had a group of elederly English caravaners next to us, what a great impression of Australia they can take home with them. I won't be surprised if the area is closed to the general public in the future, even if it is not, I won't be going back there. In the future we will use the 4wd to get as far away from popular camp grounds as possible. I hope those guys at Bendeella over Easter had a good time, cause no-one else did.Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
AnswerID: 18070

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 13:41

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 13:41
Moggs,

What were these security blokes doing through all this? Joining in, or conspicuous by their absence? Would have made a lousy weekend. Hooroo...

FollowupID: 11339

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 15:10

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 15:10
Bob,

The two security guards sat at the front gate and were only active in enforcing the 15km/h speed limit, well at least for the first 100 meters of the entry road. They did patrol, at around 7.00am and at about 4.00pm, but it looked like they were merely stretching their legs. We mentioned the fireworks to them and their response was "yeah we heard that....someone must have asked them to stop because we haven't heard one in a while". The Police also did a drive through and got heckled so much that they left. I suppose if they tried to do anything by themselves it would have just inflamed the situation - there was only one police vehicle present. It was a lousy weekend, not only due to the noise and lack of sleep, but also because of the damage to what was a pristine area. It is also a bit disappointing that you cannot approach these type of people to ask for a bit of consideration. You could tell by all the fellow campers' demenour that no one would be game - they were fighting amongst themselves, I'm sure they'd love the opportunity to prove their manliness by belting a stranger.Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
FollowupID: 11348

Reply By: bruce.h - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:54

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:54
Royce
i believe you have done the right thing by not getting into your son as ayoung bloke i have to admitt to being the hoon from hell,lots of booze ect & yes we went looking for the sort of fun you are talking about, but the people in the 4wd drive club that i belonged to rather than attack or lecture us they organised trips where we could cut up in places where the damage we did was easily repared or did not matter Ie farm properties ect,this allowed us to get it out of our system with minimal impact on others, by doing it this way there was no resentment towards the other club members & i was guided by the same people into positions with in the 4wd movement which helped deal with the isues of 4wding i believe now that ihave by far returned back to this recreation far more than any of my hooning ever took. so take heartout of that group may well come a future leader of our sport
Regards bruce
AnswerID: 18072

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:38

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:38
Perhaps we should start noting down number plates and letting the rangers/police know. Any discrete video evidence would probably help too. I admit we should not be confronting the perpetrators directly, but I would imagine the State Parks Services would welcome any assistance, if only to asses the damaged area and make any repairs that are necessary.
AnswerID: 18075

Reply By: Alan H - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:34

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:34
Royce, all the answers and sympathy from other teenager owning fathers says it all. There must be places set aside for the "hoons" amongst us (I was one as a lad) like Gnangara pine plantation north of Perth where the bikies especially can go and let off steam, and hopefully not kill themselves at the same time.
Another one was killed up at Lancelin just recently going full bore over a dune which had a drop off the other side.
Best not go anywhere near the bush sites on long weekends near the city, as they're out in force in their utes, four wheelers, and trail bikes all loaded with plenty of amber liquid to ensure they have a good time and bugger anyone else.
But it's not just those with copius amounts of testosterone raging through their veins who are at fault, check out the behaviour of some of the oafs to be seen on caravan sites, beaches, bush camps everywhere and the rubbish and detruction they cause.
And that I suppose is why everywhere is being locked up out of harms way.
AnswerID: 18083

Reply By: William - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:24

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:24
Typical actions of the majority of 4WD owners.
The majority of 4WD drivers are environmental vandals of the worst kind. I own and drive a 4WD responsibly and have to pay the price of tracks closed off due to the 4WD environmental vandals.

Don't you just love the videos they sell demonstrating what 4WD vandals do. These people should be prosecuted by state authorities.
AnswerID: 18201

Reply By: BAZZA - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:42

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:42
g'day Royce - take note if any vehicles have a 4WD club stickers showing and write to the Club concerned about THAT particular vehicles behavouir. We had a few complaints over the years in our club and we dealt with the individuals . It appears us Humans are not improving in anyway.
AnswerID: 18232

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:21

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:21
Great to have company out there you lot.. and understanding. I have experienced the really bad stuff camping all over Oz. Sometimes my wife has stormed over and fronted the young blokes as I cringed. Amazingly they usually shut up and go to bed. [she is a little scary woman when she gets going].

The 4WDrivers on the weekend were not really like that though. They were pretty well presented and not really all that young. They just liked having fun up the bank. ... and it was fun. Just not a good idea. I find it unsettling.

I quess it's a bit like following someone who throws a cigarette but out a window, or a KFC box. Why do they do it?

Again thanks for the comments and support.

By the way. At the end of the day my son gave me a hug and said " Thanks for the fun day Dad... I love you".... Can't beat that hey?Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 18247

Reply By: Member - Scotti - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:53

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:53
Understand we do!!

a few weeks ago went to beach north of perth.
A heap of 4wdrivers tried to negotiate a substantially large sand dune(made it in the Challenger before anyone else).
Along came a few 4wdrivers to have some fun and when one couldn't make the hill he sat at bottom of hill on run up line and procceeded to have some fun doing donuts and chewed the crap out of ground so much that you could now no longer get run up to hill due rough surface.

Yes many people watched him who were waiting to go the hill and then had to turn and go elsewhere.

Well I suppose at least he had fun.

And people wonder why councils and the like keep closing good 4wdriving areas.Easter fun down Nannup!!
AnswerID: 18251

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 00:08

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 00:08
You know Scotti... I guess that is my difficulty. I assume that you lot had worked out that no lasting damage would have been made to the dune and before long it would have been smoothed out by wind etc.

This river exit is really only fixed when they get a bulldozer in and work on it, or maybe it really gets bad and noone can get up it so a few people get to work with shovels and picks.

It's all a balancing act really I guess. Someone might have seen you going up the dune and thought 'what a hoon'.

I got stuck into my son a few years ago for ripping up a hillside on our farm. We were short of feed and I was worried about erosion. Well ... you know what? He effectively killed off about an acre of bracken. Grows good grass now and no erosion.

See Ya RoyceRoyce www.funshow.com.au
FollowupID: 11448

Sponsored Links