100 Series 4.5ltr LPG Conversion

Submitted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 15:24
ThreadID: 44970 Views:12706 Replies:11 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys. I am considering a LPG-1 gas conversion for my 100 series. Any comments or experience with the Injection systems they offer? Quote is about $4,500 which seems pretty exy to me. What is normal price? The system I am thinking of is a Gas Injection one (brand LANDIRENZO) with two "torpedo" tanks, one on each side of the car under driver and passenger giving about 70lts gas and leaving the 145 petrol tanks as standard. Range will be over 1,000k's no prob. Any feedback is appreciated. Ken
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 18:33

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 18:33
Problem with a conversion such as this, is that it's very expensive, leads to a tuning compromise so you won't be happy with performance on either petrol or gas, the car is much heavier, meaning you use more fuel just to cart yourself around, and you can carry much less gear (deduct the weight of the Gas System from your laod carrying capacity).

The $2000 rebate is attractive, but the cost of the conversions has seemed to go up since the bonus, by figure of about $2000 - not sure how that coincidence could have happened.....

You are experiencing the same dilemna as the rest of us with a thirsty 4WD - when we bought them petrol was relatively cheaper, and it is a pain to hand out $100 or more per tankful.

Gas on the older vehicles is probably not cost effective unless you do a very high mileage.
AnswerID: 237193

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 06:43

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 06:43
Sorry Gerhardp1 . I will come down hard on you for this miss informing post.

Gas injection is probably the best solution t economy om 4x4 today. In the hundred series , you will gain around 5 kw in power and only use 2 max 3 litres per hundred more in gas . @ 44 cents , you do the math. I paid for my system in 6 months . ( yes I do masive kms )
FollowupID: 498337

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 09:31

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 09:31
OK, I'll take a partial caning on the economy front, but I'll defend my comments re

The reduced load capacity - the mathS is simple - if your gas tanks and associated stuff weighs 200kg, your load carrying capacity decreases by 200kg. If you have a bullbar and rear tyre carrier/bar, you can't pack much gear for your travels .

You have to do a lot of ks to recoup the cost and you never regain the carrying capacity.
FollowupID: 498369

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 11:32

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 11:32
in a injection kit , the injectors and ecu weigh 0 . The gas tanks is the only weight increase approx 50 kg , bullbars etc... are irrrelevant to this discutiion as they have nothing to do with the fact of your car been on gas.

There are also other benefits EG. Longer fuel range . And another system to run on if you loose a fuel pump.
FollowupID: 498392

Reply By: Andrew-rodeo - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 19:17

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 19:17
i have never done a 100 series, but i know on the 80 series it depends on the factory fuel tank setup. Some have 2 tanks, some only have 1. The few i have done the rear tank gets removed and the spare wheel gets mounted on a kaymar spare wheel bracket. This is what makes the kit expensive. The gas tank gets mounted under the rear, and doesnt sit as low as the spare used to. Gas injection is certainly the way to go though. The Prinns system is the better one, this is sold through parnells. Hope this helps you make a desicion.
AnswerID: 237211

Follow Up By: kktdw - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:20

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:20
Andrew rodeo

Thanks mate for you help. I have booked car into get the injection system doen next week.

All the feedback is pretty supportive and I am looking forward to (hopefully) cutting fuel costs by about half all up - hopefully!

Regards

Ken
FollowupID: 498406

Reply By: chardthechippy - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 19:30

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 19:30
G`day Mate,

You wont regret it. Check out post 44865.
You might be pushing 1000kms.
AnswerID: 237217

Follow Up By: kktdw - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:25

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:25
Hey chardthechippy

Thanks for the feedback

Deal is done and I get the injection fitted next week.

Many thanks

Ken (aka kktdw)
FollowupID: 498409

Reply By: Dallas from Team Green Autogas - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:02

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:02
Hi kktdw,
The 100 series comes up a nice fit at the end of the day. Admittedly the standard run of the mill conversion on one of those things usually sees a 92Ltr usable lpg cylinder under the bum. Unfortunately the spare tyre becomes an issue doing it that way. Filler goes in the filler hatch so there's no need to cut a hole in the side of your car. Simple push button switch to change between fuels, using your standard petrol tank gauge to show lpg level. Our conversion with just that 1 cylinder is $3850 inc gst, keeping in mind also that you can get much cheaper equipment than what we fit, so even though you've been quoted $4500, believe it or not thats actually not a bad price at all if you're getting quality equipment. There's a fair bit more involved using 2 tanks. Just parts alone will cost a fair bit more & then you've still got to account for the extra time & effort involved in fitting the 2nd tank. Plumbing it in, it's not a small job.
The only compromise is that you are 20ltrs short of the standard conversion but you actually get to keep petrol ltrs = range.
The l'cruisers usually get around 4.5 - 5.5 K/ltr out of the lpg.
Best piece of advice would be to be fussy with what you fit, this may put you on the side of the road if it gives you trouble so be fussy, you may save yourself 3 or 4 hundred dollars on the job BUT you'll spend more than that in repairs & then you are stuck with it.

Regards
Dallas Green
AnswerID: 237286

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 06:45

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 06:45
Since you mentioned that LP1 fits cheaper equipment that what you do . Could you please inform us on what kit you fit ? and also explain to us , what makes your kit more expensive .

Regards Eric
FollowupID: 498338

Follow Up By: Dallas from Team Green Autogas - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:50

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:50
G'day Rock Crawler,
The equipment we use is the OMVL Under bonnet gear with AEB Electronics. The kit is distributed through Sprint Gas.
Basically mate the equipment we've chosen to use in our conversions has been chosen for it's quality. Whether it be the OMVL Converter, Reliable (internal circuits & galaries don't block up or wear out), Adjustable (you don't need to pull the thing apart to adjust your mixtures), Efficient (sensitivity adjustment enables fine tuning of acceleration off idle), Positive Pressure (actively feeding the engine), capable of fueling an 8Ltr engine ( & then you can boost them), Plus they're repairable - you can get overhaul kits for them when the diaphragms get a bit stiff with age & they'll be as good as new (unlike others).
The electronics in the system is not only thorough but its also reliable & comes with extra functions like power economy functions, Petrol start auto change over to lpg (keeping fuel system lubricated, injector rail flushed of sedimentation, servicable/working, Prevents stale fuel), Emergency Gas Only start up option incase your petrol system lets you down, Programble operating parameters, Push button operation, neat in-dash mount.
Even the upper cylinder lubricant kit has been chosen because it is the best, most user friendly & reliable kit. Easy to install, durable, reliable & easy to use.
The proof is in the pudding. We of course see alot of vehicles for repairs so you get to know the usual traits of the particular equipment.
We're fussy with what we use in our conversions. We have a good reputation & we want it to stay that way so we fit good quality equipment & that way our clients are out there saying only good things about us.
FollowupID: 498550

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 21:19

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 21:19
Please correct me if I am wrong in the following , but isn't the OMVL Spring gas systems , one of the first on the market .

Also , dont all injection kits start on petrol / have a set temp cut in , and low pressure cut out ?

I have seen the OMVL in action , it's does well , but seams not to like BA'S . I also found it to switch to petrol first out of most kits I have tried on V8's . Usually 4500 to 5000 rpm.

I found the performance on the Prinz kit on my cruiser to be better than the OMVL . But must add that I dont like the 3 group injector set up. As you can't get the injectors as close to the manifold as I would like. Also , they can be noisy at times , but seam to out last the injectors provided by sprint.

I experimented with the Voltan kit for a while . Concept was fantastic , but I could not get any consistency with the kit , also found the teck department useless .

Would be interested to get your view on the above . Also please note that I dont own a gas shop , I just get a lot of cars fitted with gas for work. i also spend hours on end on the Dyno on saturday mornings playing with the ecu settings .

I am looking at another overseas kit at the min , that seams to have great potential , as long as it dosnt turn out to be a Voltran story lol
FollowupID: 498572

Follow Up By: bass_straitener - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 16:01

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 16:01
Hi Rock Crawler, Do you have an opinion of the LandiRenzo Sequential Gas Injection kit fitted by LPGAS1? Did you research them prior to fitting the Prinz and what were the advantages/disadvantages of each?
Thanks, Bruce
FollowupID: 498737

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Friday, May 04, 2007 at 22:02

Friday, May 04, 2007 at 22:02
Are they still fitting that kit ? I thought they would have moved on . One of the first kits , very large convertor from memory , but you dont hear to many issues either . the later kits had better power figures but are still tempremental.
FollowupID: 499097

Follow Up By: bass_straitener - Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 01:00

Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 01:00
Well I had the kit fitted on the 16-02-2007 at the inverter seems quite small. It's a square shaped unit about 12cms square. The injectors do make a little noise but the guys advised me that it is the most reliable on the market. All the ECU is the latest generation learning unit which adjusts according to individuals driving styles. Do the injectors in your vehicle make a noise? What sort of consumption figures are you getting? Thanks, Bruce
FollowupID: 499125

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 07:28

Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 07:28
The injectors in mine are not very noisy. But the Prinz kit isnt known for its quiet injectors lol The injectors can be very noisy.

I am sure that your kit has been upgraded since I last saw it. The best ECU on the market at the min , is suppose to be the new generation piggy back system. This system can also change duration time in petrol injectors like say a MoTec system. The the gas system copies the same curve. Now in theory , this is the best possible senario . I get my hands on one in around 2 weeks to play with, so i really looking forward to it.

Consumption on my cruiser is 22.8 city driving . I have not done enough hwy k's to give you figures ( obviously not enough holidays lol ) . I have tuned my cruiser for max power not economy also , giving me around 8 kw more power on gas than petrol. Please also not tha i run 35" tyres and a ton of electonics and gear

I hope this help, what yours returning now ?
FollowupID: 499134

Follow Up By: Dallas from Team Green Autogas - Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 17:46

Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 17:46
G'day Rock Crawler,
Not exactly sure how many other kits were out when OMVL came out with their injection kit. Thought we were talking about the venturi system.
On the venturi systems, the AEB Electronics has the option to start on petrol & change over automatically but you can also do a straight lpg start up with the push of a button if your petrol system lets you down. The Landi & the Impco don't do that. The 295 also has a power economy function built in which sets it apart from the others.
As far as i know all injection kits start on Petrol & change automatically.
Can't say we've had any drama's doing BA's. Bit of a let down the size of the cylinder that's spec'd for them but i thought they come up a decent fit.
Havn't heard of the Prinz or Voltan kits. Googled them but came up empty. Interested in learning more about them. Especially if you've found them to be ok.

We've had good results from our vapour injection stuff.
FollowupID: 499207

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 17:58

Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 17:58
You will find most kits do a emergency start on either fuel by holding down the change over button. Dont waist your time with the Votran kit , god knows I waisted plenty lol. Prinz kit is great. Looking forward to testing the new kit that out that I described above , Ill post what i find with it. Sorry i cant give it's name yet.

regards Eric C
FollowupID: 499214

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:48

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:48
I've got a normal IMPCO system and I reckon it's great. Heaps of grunt and cheap to run.
AnswerID: 237306

Follow Up By: kktdw - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:18

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:18
V8diesel

Many thanks for your feedback - the cruiser is booked in for late next week to have gas injection fitted - this give sme a little time to de-bug the gas system before I take-off to Cuttaburra Bore in early June.

regards

Ken (aka kktdw)
FollowupID: 498405

Reply By: bass_straitener - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 02:28

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 02:28
Hi kktdw, I have installed the exact system you are referring to by LPGAS1. I had it done in Feb and have so far covered 2000kms. I paid $4500 but after doing a fair amount of research and talking with mates working at Nunawading Toyota I decided to use LPGAS1 and go for the injected system with the twin scuba tank setup. LPGAS1 do all the conversion for Toyota vans and commercial vehicles and the LandiRenzo system has the most reliable injectors. Though they are a little noisy. I have never emptied the tanks but get about 300kms before the red fill light comes on. This is mainly driving around town. If you'd like to have a look at the system installed and maybe even go for a drive give me a call on 0411 744 231. I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Regards, Bruce
AnswerID: 237326

Follow Up By: kktdw - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:15

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:15
Bruce

Many thanks for you advice earlier today. Ihave booked the Landcruiser into LPG1 for late next week as I am really only getting positive feedback re LPG conversion.

I will give you a call in next day or so to have a look at your install if OK.

Regards

Ken (aka kktdw)
FollowupID: 498403

Follow Up By: bass_straitener - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 13:03

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 13:03
G'day Ken,

Not a prob! Give me a buzz and come over. I think you'll be impressed by how neat an install it is and the how little changes in driveability when in gas or petrol mode. Even the boys at Toyota were impressed at my last service. A truly professional outfit, the boys at LPGAS1

Regards,

Bruce
FollowupID: 498419

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy- Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 07:11

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 07:11
Hi Mate,
I have twin tanks behind the sills and still have both petrol tanks, I get 18lt per 100km running up and down the Blue Mountains (LPG) up to 1200km per week.
I get about 420km out of the gas and on petrol I get 14lt per 100km. Power feels about the same on the road but marginally more punchy down low on petrol.
The only drawback is if you don't have side steps you can see the tanks hanging down as low as the chassis. I painted them flat black and now they don't stand out like dogs balls.
Go for it
Tour Boy
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 237334

Follow Up By: kktdw - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:24

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:24
Tour Boy

Thanks for the info and feedback. The Cruiser is booked for the gas injection systems fitout next week and I hope I can get my consumption down to what you get. If so, I will be a happy chappy !!

have you done other engine mods to improve consumption??

regards

Ken (aka kktdw)
FollowupID: 498407

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy- Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:43

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:43
Nup and she has 260,000km on it. The gas has only been on since dec when i bought it. The only thing that I do differently is use a V8 air filter to get better air flow, but get it B4 you get the gas on so they can set the mixture to the bigger filter.
TB
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 498413

Follow Up By: kktdw - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:51

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:51
Tour Boy

260,000klms and going strong - why would anyone want anything other than a 'Cruiser?

Ken
FollowupID: 498416

Reply By: kktdw - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:36

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:36
Gentlemen

I would like to thanks all of you for the advice and feedback - it has helped me make what I hope to be the correct decision.

I have the cruiser booked into LPG-1 in Lilydale for the gas injection fitout next week. This will enable me to de-bug the system before I take off to Cuttaburra Bore on Queens Birthday weekend which is about a 2,000K trip from Melb.

From what I see, I should get lower running costs (maybe as high as 50% off petrol) with a payback over 12 mths (based on 20,000 per annum).

Reports to date are that the injection may loose some grunt down low in the rev range but apparently the dyno is saying you pick up a couple of Nm in torque (!) near peak torque - which was what I have heard from other sources.

Apparently I have to keep an eye on which oil I use (Petrol/LPG) and may need some extra valve adjust from time-to-time. Any advice on this front would be appreciated.

I will let you know how I go once fitted and back from Cuttaburra Bore

Best regards and many thanks

Ken (aka kktdw)

AnswerID: 237381

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy- Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:45

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:45
Mate I only use GTX3 the same as in my old sahara and 80 series dual cab (both LPG) barely uses any over 10,000km and I think it is cheaper than LPG oil.
TB
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 498415

Reply By: kktdw - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:53

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:53
Tour Boy

I have a slight oil consumption issue and often see a puff of blue smoke at take off and some times at idle.

I suspect the valve guides are a little worn - what do you think?

Ken
AnswerID: 237383

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy- Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:58

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:58
Yeah sounds a bit that way, How many km.
Maybe penrite for older engins is the go with yours
TB
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 498417

Reply By: bass_straitener - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 13:13

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 13:13
Hi Ken, What year is your cruiser? From this morning conversation I think you said your cruiser has 130000 kms. You shouldn't have any oil burning issue with that sort of mileage. What brand of oil are you using? Whereabouts on the oil pressure guage does the needle sit?
Regards, Bruce.

Tourboy, is yours a GXL cruiser? Which brand of gas system did you have installed?

Thanks, Bruce
AnswerID: 237388

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy- Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 13:51

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 13:51
Hi mate,
It's an RV. I didn't want airbags or ABS
IMPCO system easy to service and they don't go off tune.
TB
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 498429

Reply By: kktdw - Friday, May 18, 2007 at 12:47

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 12:47
Ladies and Gents.

This is a follow-up to my original post re LPG on 4.5ltr Landcruiser.

The conversion is complete and I have done about 500klms on gas.

Overall I am very pleased with smooth running and quality of the system (LandiRenzo Sequential gas Injection) which was installed by LPG-1 in Lilydale Victoria. A good job done but at the top end of the costs scale!

Initial consumption tests are a little disapointing as I have only got about 250klms for 66lts of gas on my first test tank. To be fair, it was around city with 4 different drivers (wife, and P plate daughter and P plate son as other drivers!!!) I don't think they are as prudent with the go pedal as I am so I am running test with only me as the driver now.

Any questions or queries - please don't hesitate to drop me a line

Ken (kktdw)
AnswerID: 240742

Sponsored Links