Generators in National Parks

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 18:25
ThreadID: 4510 Views:6509 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Are generators banned in all National Parks? We were thinking of buying solar panels, but are also considering a generator. Going through the archives, a few people mention that they are banned, but is this in all National Parks? We will be in NT an WA.

Thanks, Jo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scott - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 07:43

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 07:43
Jo I am pretty damn sure that generators are banned in all Australian National Parks.
AnswerID: 18152

Reply By: ptcrowe - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:23

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:23
Jo i don't know if they are banned or not but i believe they should be. Go solar it may cost a little more to set up but you will be glad you payed the extra when you are sitting out bush and the only things you can hear is silence. I have been in a few camp site with people running gennies and they are very annoying to listen to all through the night. I have been lucky on most occasions due to the fact that there is ussually some one else in the camp that it annoys more than me and they often tell the offending party to shut it off or they may find the damn thing floating in the creek. Go solar Go silent.
AnswerID: 18159

Follow Up By: Jo- Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:31

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:31
Yes I've always hated the noise of generators too, but it is much easier to just hook up the generator. We would only run it to charge up the battery for the fridge, so during the day only.

Jo
FollowupID: 11418

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:13

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:13
At the last Caravan & Camping show in Perth they had these niftly little Hondas with plastic housing on them which were extremely quite. I don't know the model but your nearest honda dealer would have them. I'm not bullsh*tting about what follows; About four years ago we were in the Warren River National Park in Southwest W.A. and a ranger came up to us and said that we shouldn't really have our Engel running due to the humming noise he could hear ten feet away while the tailgate was open. We paid our fees and he walked off - and yes he was a park ranger. I couldn't believe it, he looked like one of the old school type (about 60) so he was probably full of it.
RegardsLove the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 18166

Follow Up By: Jo - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:34

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:34
We went in to our local store to listen to one of the Hondas just this morning. It was certainly quiet, but the thought of starting one up in a NP did make me feel uneasy. I know I've found other people's annoying. We're thinking we might have to drive out of the campsite, power up for an hour and then go back.

Jo
FollowupID: 11419

Follow Up By: William - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:02

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:02
The problem with the EU10i/EU1000i or EU20i/EU2000i is the repair costs. These model Honda generators are unbelievably quiet and compact, but they are failing at an alarming rate and the repair costs are nothing short of extortion. For example the main part that goes is the inverter unit at a cost of approximately $1,200.
Makes solar panels look better than ever considering they do not need maintainence or petrol, oil and servicing. I have 2 x 80 watt panels and supplies me enough power all year round.
FollowupID: 11424

Reply By: Flash - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:38

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:38
The Honda Eu10i and 20i are quiet- but if you are camped near other people they are not quiet enough. You might get away with running one during the day to charge- but don't even contemplate running it at night- you'll become VERY unpopular VERY quickly.
AnswerID: 18170

Follow Up By: Jo- Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:36

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:36
We wouldn't think (or need) to run it at night, we just want to charge up the fridge for an hour or so during the day.
Jo
FollowupID: 11420

Reply By: michael - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 13:49

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 13:49
To my knowledge and experience generators are not banned in all national parks. For instance Karijini NP in WA has designated generator area and this is well signposted so that people who may be offended can choose to camp at a sight further away. There are quite a few from which to select. While I have to agree generators can be irritating, some are big and very noisy, our Nissan 650 is fairly quiet. Despite shutting it down at least an hour before the 2100 hrs limit we still drew applause and derisive jeering from the next closest camp area. Many people like us do have small generators and from our experience most comply with camp rules. What some people need to remember is that not everyone can afford to just ditch their gen and go solar-friendly as much as we'd all love to. Also extended travel with family required us to stock up on food at major centres and run our Engels as a freezer. For us running our generator was essential whilst complying with NP rules.
AnswerID: 18179

Follow Up By: Jo- Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:39

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:39
It is not that we don't want to go solar, but more that we are getting so many conflicting answers as to the size of the solar panels we would need, plus we'd need to move them around during the day, which is no good if we've gone walking somewhere. At least with the generator it has good resale value and will charge us up where-ever and whenever.
FollowupID: 11421

Follow Up By: William - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:07

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:07
Jo with 2 x 75 or 80 watt panels, it is seldom you will need to move them around. If you set them at the optimum angle you should have sufficient power all year around, except after 2 days of inclement weather in mid-winter when it is unlikely you would be walking.
Solar panels have better resale value and you can use them for up to 25 years without maintainence.
FollowupID: 11425

Reply By: Member - Jim - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 16:57

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 16:57
Jo

The replies so far are correct in that generators are not banned in all National Parks and indeed they have seperate areas for generators in some.
Like you we often have one of our engels running as a freezer and require proper power to keep this up for any long period.

I think as long as people are sensible with regard to the use of generators the ought not be a problem. Yes I have tried solar panels and they are OK but as you stated there are some problems with regard to moving them around and following the sun, and even then it is a loosing battle with 2 Engels.

The new Honda IO and Yamaha generators are by far the quietest on the market

Regards

AnswerID: 18190

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:38

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:38
There is a designated generator area at Windjana NP also and we opted to stay there even though we have no generator as it was "quieter" than the designated camping area so that's saying something. Couple next to us had a genny running and can't say as I noticed it at all. Have heard people snoring that's louder than a generator - what do you do 'bout that? Some people are way over the top with their expectations and I'd rather listen to a small genny rattling away to 9 or 10 o'clock than have that group of bikies or young blokes out on an Easter run.
AnswerID: 18231

Follow Up By: michael - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 18:28

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 18:28
Not to forget the bronzed tour leader who wails and plunks away on the gittar until midnight , dominating the NP nocturnal experience. I really think the silence seekers should relax a little and consider all forms of human impact on the serenity of the "wilderness" experience. For instance I would have greatly appreciated some knowledgable twit shutting the proverbial up, when my kids and I were waiting patiently for our first ever sighting of the shy platypus in Carnarvon Gorge NP. I can still recall that important info to some other traveller re Karumba and how hosts Bill and Mabel or similar brought you hot scones while you fished. Understandably not a sign of the little critters that evening. Just maybe someone had told them off in the camp for talking too loudly and so had to find release for their wisdom elsewhere.
FollowupID: 11478

Follow Up By: michael - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 18:31

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 18:31
Not to forget the bronzed tour leader who wails and plunks away on the gittar until midnight , dominating the NP nocturnal experience. I really think the silence seekers should relax a little and consider all forms of human impact on the serenity of the "wilderness" experience. For instance I would have greatly appreciated some knowledgable twit shutting the proverbial up, when my kids and I were waiting patiently for our first ever sighting of the shy platypus in Carnarvon Gorge NP. I can still recall that important info to some other traveller re Karumba and how caravanpark hosts Bill and Mabel or similar brought you hot scones while you fished. Understandably not a sign of the little critters that evening. Just maybe someone had told them off in the camp for talking too loudly and so had to find release for their wisdom elsewhere.
FollowupID: 11479

Reply By: joc45 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:46

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:46
Go Solar. You'll love the silence.
I use 3 x 43w panels and run an Autofridge no probs.
My worst experience was in the Kimberly when a guy nearby ran his LC diesel at 3000rpm for about 2 hours one evening to get his batteries up.
rgds Gerry
AnswerID: 18239

Follow Up By: Member - Jim - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 17:13

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 17:13
Same out at Mungo, you can't run a generator, but before sunset if you were to walk around the camping area there would be about a dozen or more vehicles running their batteries up.

It would be less intrusive to have a few generators running

Regards
FollowupID: 11475

Reply By: Member - Jeff - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 20:50

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 20:50
Yep your going to get a different answer every where you go, every Ranger will have a different answer generally. Basically go for solar but if you go for a small generator call ahead to the camp ground and see what the story is; or use the generator during daylight hours to charge batteries, keep away from others, talk to the ranger/field officer if around and he may give you a shut down time. Most people go to national parks for quiet otherwise they would go to a C'van park.
PS. Last year we went to Twin Falls (Cape York) and yes the most noisey thing was tour operators trying to chat up young tourists whilst bleep - putting on a Ocka accent and telling rude jokes.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Nifold Plain, Cape York
AnswerID: 18310

Sponsored Links