Prado tyres

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 18:29
ThreadID: 4511 Views:2003 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Anyone have any recommendations for suitable off-road / on-road/bitumen tyres?

Trips envisioned includes Cape York, Gibb River Rd. Obviously, getting to these places means bitumen for long distances BEFORE the off-road roads are reached. Tyres therefore need to handle both 'roads' well.

Comments appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 20:29

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 20:29
as for tyres I am running goodyear wrangler MT/Rs 265/75R16 on my Prado TX and though a little noisy on road I have found them to be brillant on and off road. Wear at present after 15000klms is great and after some heavy off road use no visible damage to tread blocks. But asking for tyre advice can open a large can of worms but IMO I strongly recommend the wranglers.

Cheers
AnswerID: 18122

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:43

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:43
Had BFG's on a Prado for the Oodnadatta, Tanamu, Bungles, Gibb,Kalumburu,West Coast towing. No piunctures, but a little noise when badly worn (more like chopped up, which only ocurred on the Mitchell Falls rd when we pushed on).

read again - no punctures, nor in the 100 GXL on Cape York/Birdsville Trk etc.
FollowupID: 13255

Reply By: tristjo - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 20:33

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 20:33
My pick would be BF Goodrich All Terrains. My brother has been running these on his GQ for 2 years, covering about 30,000km so far over all sorts of terrain, including alot of bitumen, but also a fair bit of heavy offroading and gravel road driving, and has never had a puncture. They have also handled the bitumen very well, you really have to push to get them to break traction on the tar, even when wet. With the current rate of wear, he reckons they should be good for 70,000km. The only place they have not proven to be brilliant is in the mud, where they clog up quickly, but they are only an all terrain!! Anyway, have fun choosing, and enjoy the trip!! Tristjo.
AnswerID: 18123

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 20:59

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 20:59
Graeme,

We run BFG A/T's on 80 series, as they were on it when bought it in '98.
Have never had a blowout, but a few punctures(nails, weld. rods etc), in 120K clicks. We have 190 km of dirt, gravel, stone on road to town. The BFG's handle this okay, though they chip a bit, which may wear them out quicker. Also do a trip to coast once a year, of around 5K kms, and they are good on tar.

We also use Wrangler TG'S, but wouldn't use them on Prado, even if they made a size to suit. Good on 79 series 'cruisers on dirt and in mud.

Bit hard to find a compromise tyre for all occasions, eh ? Hooroo...

AnswerID: 18126

Reply By: Member - John- Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 22:27

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 22:27
I keep coming back to BFG AT's for most modern fourbies. They give you the best of all worlds, are widely sold in Outback Aust and have an excellent reputation for resisting stone damage. I strongly recommend installing an air compressor so that you will not hesitate to deflate to say 25-30psi when you go off road knowing re-inflation will be easy done.

The BFG's are pretty good in mud and rocky stuff if you let them down a bit. Mudders only make sense when you a MOSTLY off road and face a lot of mud driving ... very few of us are really in this situation.

BFG AT's can make a pretty awesome difference to the mid size fourbies. Coopers also have excellent tyres for this purpose, but don't bank on finding a replacement outside major cities and towns, especially in the sizes used by mid size fourbies.

JohnS
AnswerID: 18141

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:19

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:19
Hi John,

The BFG A/T from a few years ago and the current BFG ATKO are really two different tyres. The old ones were brilliant. But I know a lot of people with the new KO's who have been very disappointed by the tread chipping off on rocky roads, and are not getting as many K's as a result.
FollowupID: 11394

Reply By: kezza - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 23:25

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 23:25
The new silica compounds used in the BFG MTs and the Goodyear MTRs make them a very viable alternative to the AT tyres especially in the wet.
Cant fault either tyre as yet but will post some reports in the next month on both tyres in the simpson and on the rocks at sundown National park.
kes
AnswerID: 18144

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:26

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:26
Graeme,

The size you want is probably the 265/75R16 which is a little taller and fits the Prado well. I personally go for the highest load rating tyres (usually 119 or 120), which usually means BFG, Coopers 10 ply or Kellys. I currently run a set of the older BFG mud terrains on the Prado and don't have a problem with road noise (just a quiet hum). I'll probably try the Kellys MSR next as the Kellys are getting good reports from people in our club. They are an AT/MT cross.

Phil
Prado TD
AnswerID: 18160

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:02

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:02
Graeme,

If you don't want to go muddies then consider Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tyres. Very qiet, cgood roadholding, good off road and very high load capacity.
265/75/16We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 18165

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:32

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:32
2 trips to GRR in 2002 & 2003 on BFG A/T KO's and I couldn't think of a worse tyre for gravel. Took them off after 35K as they were chewed to bits and had several sidewall splits. Disappointed - you betcha !
Cooper ST's and STT's get a good wrap too.
Currently I am running Wrangler MTR's and can't speak highly enough. Have heard new BFG M/T is pretty good too but I reckon there's more bargaining power in Wranglers as they'd just have to be trying to crash the Cooper/BFG party.
4WD Monthly have just done a tyre comparo and if you can read between the lines there's a bit of good info there but equally as good info here from the people who use them.
My two bob's worth
AnswerID: 18229

Reply By: Member - Scotti - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:58

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:58
Pirelli Scorpion A/T's

Everyone talks BFG's , Wrangler's , Coopers , etc.

I don't know whether people out there even know that Pirelli make quite a good 4wd tyre.
I have a set of 31x10.5x15 on me Challenger and when it comes to all terrain tyre with road handling safety In believe this is a great tyre and also competitively priced.I've towed vans and trailers across Aussie and done some serious 4wdriving south of Perth and also on beaches and sand dunes.The Scorpion tyres have never let me down.

I think for everyday driving and touring on road safety with good 4wdriving capabilities definitely worth looking into Pirelli scorpions.

Cheers

Easter fun down Nannup!!
AnswerID: 18240

Reply By: RussellS - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 10:14

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 10:14
I've had BFG ATs for a long time and been very happy with them. Took them to the desert etc and had no punctures, although the rears got chopped up with the rocky roads around Cordillo Downs/Innamincka. 70,000 km so far and will get over 100,000 km at least, I reckon. They aren't so good in any sort of greasy conditions, so although I do most of my driving on the road, would seriously look at the Goodyear MT/Rs that people are talking about. Apparently they are quite quiet on the road, and perform very well both on and off road. I'm still not sure about this argument that you should buy the tyre according to the majority of driving you do - when I'm occasionally in mud or steep terrain, that argument is sorely lacking, and I think the approach should be one of what is the most you will expect from the tyre, and buy for that, providing the tyre also performs satisfactorily at other times. If you put MT/Rs on the Prado, I don't know how they'll go without a suspension upgrade - touching etc.
AnswerID: 18478

Reply By: nugget - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 00:20

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 00:20
I currently have a set of BFG A/T KO's and am looking forward to the day they require replacement. This wont be too far away though, ie in about another 20000km. Mind you that is about their current mileage now. They are chipped and cut to buggery and basically I feel a deep sense of melancholy whenever I think about them.
I wouldn't wish them on my worst enermy.
AnswerID: 18553

Follow Up By: Rob P - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 21:46

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 21:46
Nugget,

I also have KO's on my Prado and does exhibit chipping, but only on the rear tyres. I first noticed this after the Cordillo Downs Road with all the gibber rock and also after last weekend in the Vic high country.
FollowupID: 11791

Sponsored Links