Tyre repair Kit versus 2 Spares

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 17:31
ThreadID: 4526 Views:2112 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have a number of 4WD trips planned for the next 5 years (basically all of the trips as described in Ron & Viv Moons Book - 4WD Around Australia).

What I am trying to avoid is carrying a 2nd Spare Tyre.

Has anyone succesfully used tyre repair kits that are sold by most of the 4wd Outlets ?

Are these kits good enough to get you out of trouble until you can get to a tyre supplier ?

The car is a Nissan Patrol with standard Alloy Rims, but the tyres have been upgraded to BFG All Terrain KO 265X75X16.

Thanks
Phil P

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 17:58

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 17:58
I have used tyre repair kits and they do work.

On my Cape York trip Ialso got 10 punctures in 8 weeks. Including two at once on two seperate occasions.

Carry both the repair kit and two spares.

Duncs
AnswerID: 18198

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:20
Two spares, a repair kit and a spare case or two !
Brian
FollowupID: 11443

Reply By: ray91 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:08

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:08
SIX spares with BFG a/t
AnswerID: 18200

Follow Up By: William - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:12

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:12
Only SIX!
BFG and many others would have to be the best tyres for seeking out punctures and side wall damage.

Sorry, you did not upgrade your tyres, you downgraded.
I have done more 4WD than most as it has been part of my job and always stuck to the stock standard type of tyre. While others had blowouts, punctures, side walls ripped out on the same tracks as I was driving, my standard type tyres stood up well. We only carry the one spare, two tyre levers and one smaller one, a couple of patches, and two aerosol cans of the gunk blow up goo. Have used the gunk when the punctures were not bad, but the weather and get repaired and cleaned out at next town. Never had to use more than the one spare and gunk. Never had to use the tyre levers. Used the compressor quite a few times after using gunk to pump up harder.
FollowupID: 11437

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:26

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:26
I have always carried a 2nd spare on all trips and have the necessary tyre repair gear as well. My 2nd spare is casing, tube and tube protector. Do not carry an extra rim. I run 7.50x16 split rims.

Two things out in the bush that are essential are good rubber and good batteries. If you skimp on these you are only making life difficult for yourself should the inevitable happen. Happy travels.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 18202

Follow Up By: Michael - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:51

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:51
Hi there Willem, i personally think split rims are old hat now with all the modern tyre changing and bead breaking gear around today. If you get a small protrusion or puncture with tubes you get an instant flat, then its a stop and repair. Not always with tubeless. More dangerous and fiddly fitting splits.. My experience only. regards Michael
FollowupID: 11450

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 19:29

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 19:29
Hi Michael,
Yeah OLD HAT I am :-) Hard to change habits.I just shuffle along at a slow pace out bush and make sure that I have good rubber underneath. Did have tubeless tyres once but cut the sidewalls too easily when driving off road. Cut two sidewalls and you have to stick a tube in. Then it becomes a tyre changing hassle. I'll stick to my split rims.

But each to his own. I would still carry a spare casing though. Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 11481

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:44

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:44
Your askin for problems going that far without 2 spares.

What happens if you destroy a sidewall or a tire totals itself, the puncture repair kit wont do anything for you then..

YMMV But I see blokes go with 3 spares, 2 on rims and one not on a rim, + puncture kits...

And Upgrading to KO's? They dont have a very good name in the Patrol club here anymore.

again YMMV.
AnswerID: 18206

Reply By: bruce.h - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 20:05

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 20:05
phil
i have travelled heaps to remote areas & have only ever carried one spare ,but have always carried a very good tyre repair kit i got mine from a truck trye repair company it consisted of extra large patches down to small patches & tyre plugs , tubless valves valve caps & 2 tubes of the apropriate sizes, & i never had to replace a tyre totaly yet we have always found that if you repare any tyre that are damaged during the day when you stop at night we have so far travelled problem free, but maybe we have been lucky i have no doubt others will have stories of horror runs with tyres so iguess it comes down to how comfortable you are with the risk you take & your abilty to get your self out of theturoble you may have
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 18217

Reply By: Phil P - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:11

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:11
Thanks for all the replies, it's a bit like gambling !

Thanks
Phil P

AnswerID: 18235

Reply By: Eric - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:07

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:07
Phil.
If you want to minamize you tyre problems get a set of split rims and 750/ 16 truck tyres, If you get the rims sand blasted and pianted with a good 2 pack piant you can repiar a puncture with your bare hands because the tyre will not stick to the rim. The chances of side wall damage is very low with truck tyres, this is the way professional drivers solve the problem. enjoy your trips, Eric.
AnswerID: 18242

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 02:12

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 02:12
Don't mean to stir the ol hornet's nest but along with everything else 16 inch rims means less exposure of sidewalls compared to 15's and Coopers have the ability of no bulge in the sidewall compared to BFGs.
Another 'gambling' thing to make it so much better.Love the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 18254

Reply By: Gordon - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 15:07

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 15:07
Phil
With tubeless tyres I have had:
1. a side wall blow-out, and
2. under-vehicle spare punctured while reversing out of a bog!
3. 3 punctures in a day

I am now a fan of Splits with 7.5R16s. 1 spare on rim carried under vehicle, 2 spare off rim carried on roof rack. What you'll need: Bead breaker, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, spare tubes, pair of boots, compressor / pump. Dead easy to change - easier than solid rims. Only down side is not as good in soft sand as fats. Gamble with your own life not with other people's. Minimum 6 cases (i.e. 2 spare - I carry 3 spare altogether).

We travel alone. If travelling with another similar vehicle you could cut down to 2 spare cases.
AnswerID: 18296

Sponsored Links