Camper Trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:33
ThreadID: 4539 Views:3308 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at designing and making a Lightweight camper trailer myself to suit a Subaru Forrester. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and could give me some ideas, specification/plans or any other information that could be useful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:10

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:10
You can hire a real one from places for $50 a day.

Take it home measure it up and go from there... Mate of mine did it 3 weeks ago, hired for weekend, now found out what he DIDNT like about it, and is making mods to his own design.

5-10yr ago, another mate made one from Aircraft Alloys, only cause he was in Aircraft maintance at Qantas at the time got it for nix... Wonder what he did with it.. Hmmm...
AnswerID: 18243

Reply By: crfan - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:46

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:46
Find out what weight the Subaru can tow then work out what you NEED to put in it ie:water fuel gas cooking gear etc .
I made one for my 80 series and put a TRX450 honda in it then the rest of the gear it went 1.5 tonnes on the weigh bridge.(dingy on top as well)
You dont need much before you are over weight...
AnswerID: 18271

Reply By: geoff - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 21:23

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 21:23
Hi Paul it depends if you are going off road. I am making one myself at present out of steel if you want more infomation my e-mail is thewayes@iprimus.com.au.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 18424

Reply By: Member - Paul - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 21:50

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 21:50
Hi Paul,

We have only finished the final sections today and we are leaving on Wednesday this week.

Firstly, if you start off on the wrong peg you can cume a cropper down the track!

I found that speaking to people like John @ B c n u Trailers at Silverwater (NSW) and also Ian Oake from Ridgetop Trailers at Dural (NSW) was the best thing we did.

After many chats we obtained a 10 year old 11" Canvas Camper Trailer originally manufactured by Dirks Tailers In QLD.

John from BCNU then replaced the suspens, new bearings, and some strenghening work around the fittings. Installed a 63lt water tank and tap. fitted a Tregg Hitch, New Gas Bottle and Tool Box.

Ian from Ridgtop then installed a Deluxe Roll Out Kutchen with 4 cupboards, sink and cuttlery _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, Full Length storage box on rollers. 240v power unlet with Circuit Breaker.

The deal has come up a treat and we all leave this Wednesday.......................THANK CHRIST

AnswerID: 19205

Sponsored Links