Coromal or Jayco

Submitted: Monday, May 14, 2007 at 10:47
ThreadID: 45455 Views:8468 Replies:11 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I know this has probably come up many many times, however, we have a delemer in our house. I love the Coromal wind up camper and my partner loves the Jayco Swan. We have a turbo diesel Prado and we know it can pull both although we are unable to buy second hand as there are non available in WA, so we are looking at the 2007 Jayco Swan with the Alpha Pack and the Coromal 421.

If we could please have some feedback about both and if someone was in the same situation, why you chose what you chose and why.

We have no children at this time although is a consideration for the future.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 11:18

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 11:18
Get underneath and have a good look at how well they are designed and constructed before you make a commitment.
There is more to love than outside appearance.

Neil
AnswerID: 239902

Reply By: HGMonaro - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 11:25

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 11:25
if you're considering the Coromal, have a look at a Goldstream Wing 3 too, all have similar internal layout. Goldstream and Coromal both a step up from the Jayco, but also a fair amount dearer, and do the same job so need to weigh that up. Lots of Jayco's running around the countryside. Slide out kitchen in Coromal worried us regarding dust ingress and longevity. We ended up buying the Goldstream as the caravan show 'special' consisted of freebie bed end flys, wind out awning and battery pack which were things we would have ordered anyway.

With no children you could go with one of the ones with the permanently made up beds and trade it later when the need arises as they do hold their value pretty good.

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 239904

Follow Up By: JJ - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 17:16

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 17:16
Hi HG,
OT, & excuse me butting in, but you mentioned 'bed end flys'... would you possibly have a pic of them please?
I am about to order a pair for our Jayco Finch, which are in an attached zipper bag, but our local dealer does not have a brochure. Valued at $350 pr, I'd like to see what I'm getting.
I do have a pic of one style which has a roll-up 'flap' over each window and wondered if there are other kinds.
Have just searched the forum to no avail... found one post only. Thanks in advance
FollowupID: 500930

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 21:07

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 21:07
JJ, can't upload pics here but have wacked a couple up on personal page (they won't stay there forever). You'll need to copy'n'paste the links as they wouldn't work in here.

Bagged Bed End flys in zippered bags

http://users.tpg.com.au/nlandgl/Junk/BedEndFly01.jpg

Bed End flys errected

http://users.tpg.com.au/nlandgl/Junk/BedEndFly02.jpg
FollowupID: 500985

Follow Up By: JJ - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 21:37

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 21:37
Thanks for that HG, hope Jayco's look as neat.
FollowupID: 500995

Follow Up By: Blaze - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 00:12

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 00:12
HG I agree with all that you have said, the only thing that made us not buy a Goldstream. The ones we looked at had a stepped down entry point which limits its ground clearance at that point. Of course it depends on where you intend on taking it...
FollowupID: 501034

Follow Up By: Blaze - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 00:15

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 00:15
JJ,

Jayco's are exactly the same style, of course they don'y have the Goldstream branding on the bag....LOL
FollowupID: 501035

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 09:55

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 09:55
$350 seems a half decent price, even without a logo! ;)

Blaze, Goldstream use the inbuilt step as a marketing item, cliaming the boxing strengths the floor. It may well do, but they forget to mention the other side doesn't have it! I hadn't noticed it protruding down much, will have to have a look to see if I have to be mindful of it.

Cheers, Nige
FollowupID: 501069

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 13:15

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 13:15
Hi Brinic - we owned both a Jayco Dove then a Coromal Magnum - both offroad wind-ups.
As the Dove was 20yrs old, our experience with it is not much use. Todays units are probably much better constructed. We owned it for over10 yrs camping with 2 children, before it died.

We absolutely loved the (almost new) Magnum - only recently traded it on a Coromal offroad Poptop. Dragged it everywhere with our 4.2 Patrol - cattle station tracks, Frazer Island sand, Innaminca (through the flooded Cooper + mud), mountains, rocks, gem fields and even over some bitumen. Construction was the main priority for our choice of the Coromal - it had to handle some reasonably serious off road work.

Like all things made by man, it needed some minor improvements (but then I stress over little things). Fitted a deep cycle battery with anderson plug to the car, second water tank and gas bottle. Needed some reinforcing of the inside timber - eg seat supports, draw and cupboard frames etc.
The hot water system is nice, but the outside shower uses your drinking water - so was useless. (We use an outside shower, and put creek/river water through an onboard filter for showering.)

Do a forum search to find all previous posts. Both would provide many years of comfortable camping.............................Keith
nb - second hand we paid $17k for the Coromal, but took some months to find. Could be worth a trip to the East if you can make the time.
AnswerID: 239921

Reply By: Brian B (Brisbane) - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 14:53

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 14:53
Hi,

I agree with comments made by Nige. We just brought a new Goldstream Star 2 in the offraod model and we are really impressed with it. They are dearer than Jayco but when you get right into build etc then I think they are good value.

Hope you find something that suits your needs.
AnswerID: 239935

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 18:12

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 18:12
Definitely check out the eastern states as well. Unless you wait until 1 July for the exemption from stamp duty in WA, if you buy and get license transfered to you in a state with no stamp duty on trailers, you may save the cost of your trip to collect it.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 239966

Reply By: marcus - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 18:37

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 18:37
Hi Brinic,
I agree with Nige and Brian B and have a Goldstream soveriegn.The build quality is superior on the goldstream and coromal over the jayco and if you can get to a show you might be able to do your own comparisons.
Cheers Mark
AnswerID: 239973

Reply By: Jimbo Vic - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 18:38

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 18:38
Checkout the resale, have a look at Trading Post etc.

Coromals seem to be 5 to 10 grand dearer new, but do not hold that premium when sold second hand.

Jayco is IMHO the best value van on the market by a mile. AND, their camper trailers have an absurdly high resale value. Having now owned two Jaycos I cannot see any reason to pay extra for a "premium" van. Still, it comes down to personal choice.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 239975

Follow Up By: Blaze - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 12:11

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 12:11
Totally agree Jimbo,

Jayco's biggest downer is their quality control but having said that with our Eagle we saved over $7,000 compared to both the Coromal and the Goldstream. I am first to admit the quality is different but I spent 1 and half days over the first weekend we owned the unit redoing hinges and mounting points etc. Now I class our unit as being as good if not stronger than the competitions and if I could normally earn $7,000 clear for 12 hrs work I would be more than happy :-)
FollowupID: 501084

Reply By: Doggy Tease - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 19:18

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 19:18
We have an 01 off-road Dove that happily follows our patrol wherever we want to go.
We reset the springs 1 inch higher, with an added leaf, to lift it a bit more so that we can match the tyres on the patrol (265/75r16's).
Simply slow down a bit when off the black stuff and drop the tyre pressure.
All these "campers" have limitations but with a bit of planning before hand,,,they will go just about anywhere.

meow.

rick.
AnswerID: 239979

Follow Up By: annez - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 09:06

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 09:06
have to agree, we've had a Coromal wind up camper with the slide out kitchen, and a Coromal off road pop top. We now have an off road Jayco penguin and have not looked back. By far the best value for money. Have had less warrantee work done on the Jayco than on both Coromals. Coromals are a good unit, but outdated in the interior and overpriced.

Anne.
FollowupID: 501064

Follow Up By: Brinic - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 13:41

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 13:41
Cheers for that.

We tried to get some service from the Goldstream dealer of here but no-one was around so have sent them and e-mail and we will be going up this afternoon to have a look. I just find the cabinets in the Jayco really really low. But I think we will end up the Jayco. Jeez I can be nice :o)
FollowupID: 501099

Reply By: Brinic - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 13:44

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 13:44
Thanks everyone for the advice. Truley appreciate it. I think we will end up with the Jayco and work our way up from there. Will have a look at the Goldstream tonight as they look the same but as Blaze said, If I can save around $7000 and it takes a couple of hours to fix it and it is good, well can't ask for more than that.

Hopefully will have many years of camping in from of us.

May talk to you all again soon.

Nicole
AnswerID: 240130

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 23:28

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 23:28
Nicole, we recently looked at Coromal v Goldstream v Jayco after selling our 2005 Jayco finch, and we went back to Jayco again.

I cannot justify an extra $10,000 for the Goldstream. Yes it's a little better build quality, but ten grand?

With the Coromal, in the pro's and con's excersize, three things stood out on the wrong side.

1. Sit on the edge of the the bed. Get up and down off the bed....a rather uncomfortable exrcise that one!

2. The front boot it is flimsy, leaks water, space is taken up by the gas bottles and having to reach across to undo two latches is a pain.

3. Athough appearing bigger inside, the cupbourd space lost in the slide out ktchen, and the tiny little table and chairs are not well thought out.

The one thing I thought was excellent, really excellent, is the door! Its dust proof, water proof and doubles as a travel table. BRILLIANT!!!
AnswerID: 240242

Reply By: Brinic - Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 10:04

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 10:04
Hi all,

Well I have to retract that we will be getting the Jayco, we have decided to go with the Goldstream Wing III. Beautiful layout, great quality and it has everything we wanted. It is a little more than the Jayco but not much and cheaper than the Coromal and the quality was better than the Coromal.

It was small things in the construction that we had a look at that changed our minds. Thanks everyone again. It has been great. We are now looking at options for the van and will check out what has been stated before.

Happy vanning everyone. :o)
AnswerID: 240278

Sponsored Links