winches

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 21:29
ThreadID: 4557 Views:1563 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
just curious to know what my options would be for mounting a winch onto the front of a 92 nissan terrano. I dont have a roo bar, just a factory fitted nudge bar. would there be any body mounts on a terrano?

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 07:10

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 07:10
psi, i'm guessing that you need to have a climb around underneath, or better still head down to your local 4x4 parts place and get it up on the hoist.
AnswerID: 18330

Reply By: Member - Neil & Lynne(Bunbury) - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 19:58

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 19:58
I'm afraid unless you wish to fit a substantial roo bar complete with the provision for fitting a winch you are stuck.......(sorry, no pun intended.)

However....

You may like to look at this site. It may hold your answer.

http://www.brawn4x4.com.au/port_a_winch.htm

Regards

Neil
Life's too short to say .. "I can't do that !"
AnswerID: 18358

Reply By: Garry - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 01:01

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 01:01
Just a clue before you buy your winch. I have bought a 15,000 lb electric winch. Have a dual battery system in my 80 series. Had an Anderson plug fitted to both ends of the car. One under the bonnet and one on the back bumper. Also have a Camper trailer which plugs into the Plug on the rear bumper. Have an isolating switch under the bonnet which cuts out the power feed from the Camper battery when using the winch and bypasses to a rocker switch on the dash. The beauty of this system is that I can hook the winch to the front or rear of the vehicle, or to the fitted tow points on the camper and put the car in gear and assist the winch and pull myself out forwards or backwards if necessary. Learnt the hard way you can't get a cable under the car and trailer to pull yourself out backwards if you are buried up to the siderails in mud!
AnswerID: 18461

Follow Up By: Slammin - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 01:49

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 01:49
Whats an Anderson Plug and how do you hook the winch front or back.
And can you get a cable under a car without a trailer? Sounds like a good setup.

Also as an aside I find those that carry the most recovery gear mostly get other people out of the *&#$ who are unprepared or just plain, well, dull.
FollowupID: 11536

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 12:17

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 12:17
Adding any additional weight on the front of the Terrano is going to drop the front down and make it handle like a dog. You have not got the options to alter springs like a coil sprung truck. Garry's idea of having a removable winch front or rear is good, although you have to have a place to store it when not required. Same goes for the Hydraulic OX. You can have line fixed to the chassis, front or rear with a diverting valve and a quick hitch system to fit into the towing reciever eye of the tow bar. That way you do not have to transport a heavy winch around on the nose of the car for 99.9% of the time that you don't use it.
AnswerID: 18491

Reply By: Garry - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 16:28

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 16:28
An Anderson Plug is a reversable Male/Female unit which has just 2 poles. Neg & Pos. Each side is in effect the male and the female. They cost about $15 - $20 are solder on and very robust and reliable. They are also self cleaning so no need to worry about corrosion etc.
As to the set up, if you wire a plug front and back as I have you don't need a cable under the car. I have a plug hard wired under the bonnet and on the rear bumper. The switch under the bonnet simply isolates bothe plugs from the Camper battery so I don't have a feed coming up either line to the winch. Each plug is now activated from the rocker switch on the dash. If I hang the winch off the front then I plug in under the bonnet, jump into the car and operate the winch from the rocker switch mounted on the dash. If I hang it off the back either from the car or from the camper I plug it into the rear plug and do the same. The advantage is, I am fully self contained and can use the motor to help me out while opertaing the winch. Found it very useful when in too deep to go forward,
AnswerID: 18499

Sponsored Links