Patrol or Cruiser Diesel

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 14:08
ThreadID: 4560 Views:1915 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I want to buy a diesel Patrol or Cruiser , I have a MAX of $24 - 25000 to spend. Want to tow about 1.5 tons and do some weekend 4wding but mostly just to the beach, nothing too serious. I have read the archives but they talk mostly about just their 4wd ability. I want some opinions on which would be the best value and best for a mix of commuting, towing and 4wding. Is it worth paying the extra to get into a turbo diesel?

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 18:00

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 18:00
Turbo diesel would be the way to go, will give you better power and fuel economy.

Toyota have the name, but if you drive one that you can afford, it will be non turbo, and performance is not good.

The Patrol which it is a bit more agricultual, you are likely to get a better car for the sort of money you want to spend. Be carefull though and would suggest an auto, as the Nissan manual gearboxes, have been known to give problems.

You realy should hang out for Direct injection diesel engine, with a turbo, I would hate to see you spend all that money, and then you are disapointed.

My Brother in Law, purchased his patrol from the Government auctions, had low milage and was very clean, just a thought.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 18347

Follow Up By: colin - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 18:43

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 18:43
deffinatly turbo is the way to go, what herkman is saying about nissan gear boxes is partly true, the 3ltr and 2.8ltr have boxes built for the nissan car, if you go 4.2 turbo diesal which have proven to be a bullet prove engine they have a bigger and stronger box which has proven it self over many years. you will get more for your money with the nissan and do what you want with no trouble at all, on the other hand tojos are a great vehicle as well dearer to buy with good resale value. i have a gq patrol 4.2 diesal and couldnt be happier. Col
FollowupID: 11504

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 19:01

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 19:01
LOL yes hang out for direct inj, that will be $24k specially with the new models around the $70k mark..

Both cars will do the job exactly the same. They are both capable offroaders, and on road, and both have good and bad points. Both have the same amount of accessories available.

Your budget is going to be 80 series Cruiser, or GQ Patrol if these are the 2 you are looking at. GQ is more of a solid truck, where the 80 is more of a Toorak/George St Farmers car. Look outside any school in the morning...

Not that it will bother you with your budget, but early GU 3.0's suffered in the first models from 5th gear, after mid 2001, they were rectified.

Also depends on the cars history, any car thats had a hard life, towing lots all the time eg a 60 series with 6.5 chev in it, I looked at once permantly towed a 2.5t dozer! asking for problems, worn clutch etc.

Comfort levels are about even, Ive been in 80/90/100 GQ/GU st and Ti offroad, and all have their good points, Im a fat prick, so I notice it more than most.

Without doubt for towing Petrol will kill you in cost. Turbo Diesel is good..

Do youself a favor spend a week test driving everything out there. All flavors of 80's and GQs cause you wont get a 100 or GU for $25k. You will see what you like, and what you dont like.

80scool and Patrol list for fuel ecomony figures.

AnswerID: 18352

Follow Up By: Zapper - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 20:43

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 20:43
Thanks Truckster

Drove a few today, didnt manage to find a decent patrol so didnt drive any of them. One of the toyotas I Drove was an 80 series GXL diesel 1995 with 175,000 on it, very straight, think i could get it for $25k. Had all the GXL stuff except cruise, plus nice bull bar, reese hitch and safari snorkel. It was pretty much unmarked but what i did notice was a little line of rust along and under the back window seal at the top. Then i went to a car yard and looked at two others and they had the same, is that a common fault with the 80 series?? Must say I am far more impressed with the finish and the interior of the toyota over the patrol, still yet to drive the patrol, are noise levels and power similar?

Anyway any other info you could give me would be appreciated
FollowupID: 11526

Follow Up By: Zapper - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 14:27

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 14:27
Truckster me again, just posted a follow up to Tristjos reply below. Bought a 1991 4.2 Patrol this morning. Have a read and see what you reckon. I have only paid the deposit so i can still get out of it.

Thanks
FollowupID: 11553

Follow Up By: Zapper - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:53

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:53
Truckster

Havent got photos yet, should next week. You mentioned about not being used in 4wd - the guy told me he gives it a run every month or so in 4wd on the road to keep everything lubricated. What a legend eh!
FollowupID: 11586

Reply By: Dozer - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 20:42

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 20:42
Diesels are easily turboed, and if done with a reputable brand, are quite reliable. The best free advice that can be offered, is to get whatever from a private buyer with books. You will be way infront if you get a 1 owner early model whatever than a later turbodiesel which has been flogged. Parts are expensive on these trucks, i would stay clear of the early t/d cruiser as it will be worn out for your money, if you like the beach, Discoveries come in t/d for that kind of money, but get an oil tray for the driveway though. They use some alloy panels, which is good for salty enviroments.
Take a non turbo for a descent drive up and into the mountains before you commit-they are not fast....
Andrew
AnswerID: 18362

Reply By: tristjo - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 20:48

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 20:48
As mentioned above, you will get a much better Patrol for the money you mentioned. The Toyotas I beleive are overpriced, for no real reoson other than the supossed "name". The Nissans are extremely robust and reliable vehicles, and I have never met a dissatisfied Patrol owner!! The TD42 diesel is the pick of the bunch, and for the dollars you mentioned, you could be driving an early to mid 90's GQ, with around 150,000kms on it. They have no trouble towing heavy trailers, and are very capeable offroad. They are great tourers, and for an all beam axled fourby, are very comfortable, and i beleive that a fourby is not a real fourby unless it has rigid axles front and rear. They can take a turbo no worries, but unless you want to go places really fast, whats the point?? No end to the accesories for them, and parts are cheap compared to Toyotas, not that you'll ever need them though. All things considered, I think they are a better vehicle than the Cruiser, unless of course you want something pretty to pick the kids up from the private school. Just my oppinion, so get ut there, and drive as many as possible, and as with any vehicle, get it checked out by the RACQ, RACV or whatever. Best of luck. Tristjo.
AnswerID: 18366

Follow Up By: Zapper - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 14:24

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 14:24
Thanks for the info Trisjo

Went out this morning and found a private sale 1991 Patrol TI 4.2 diesel with a safari turbo in Auto. Absolutely unmarked with 161000km. Belongs to an old couple who have had it for 10 years 2nd owner, never been off road, only time in 4wd is to pull thgeir van up a gravel hill or anything like that. All books with service records etc. I Really couldnt fault it at all. Paid him a deposit to hold it for me we agreed on $17,000. What do you reckon?

Cant believe how much better to drive and how much more power/less revs and noise than the 80 series cruisers i have been driving, the toyotas i had to rev and push really hard to get anything out of them
FollowupID: 11552

Follow Up By: colin - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 18:04

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 18:04
go for it zapper, sounds like a good buy plus you will have 7 grand for all the extras. Col
FollowupID: 11560

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:04

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:04
Agree With Colin. that sounds good. Well done! Any photos?

One thing, remember a car that has never been in 4wd can also be a bad thing.. bearings have never been spun, and oiled, etc.. Pajeros are deadly from what I heard on this.. they flat spot the bearings and create one hell of a problem and noise!!!
FollowupID: 11572

Reply By: nugget - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:56

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:56
I own a GQ 4.2 diesel. Get underneath and look at the size of a Patrols driveline ie transmission, tail shafts, diffs etc and then have a look at an 80 series driveline. You'll notice how much larger the Patrols is. If you dont wish to get dirty then park two of them together and compare the size of the front diffs.
I spoke to a gearbox overhaul shop once and asked them how many Cruiser gearboxes compared to Patrol gearboxes they had fixed or overhauled. The response was Patrol 1, Cruiser 100's.
A Cruiser in my opinion is nicer to drive though and in standard diesel form has more grunt and is quieter.
AnswerID: 18456

Reply By: tristjo - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 00:53

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 00:53
Excellent decision, mate!! It sounds like you have got yourself a beauty, i am a bit jelous, actually!! Congatulations and welcome to the club of very happy, completely satisfied Nissan owners!!

Have fun in it, ya lucky fella!!
Tristjo.
AnswerID: 18557

Sponsored Links