Any suggestions?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 12:23
ThreadID: 45749 Views:3082 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day guys,

Just bought a 04 Prado 4L. Yes very nice...love it. Great for my family for both travelling and beach runs, however now in order to preserve the car 9ie. no scratches /dents etc. I am a little reluctant to start going too hard off road. Where I live in the NW of WA all around me are some great fishing spots with acces via rocky terrain and/or mud flats for the creeks or ocean. Yes I can hear saying why did you spend so much on the Prado if you are not going to use it. Yes that is true but I also like to keep this car for a while. So now I am on the lookout for a another 4wd that I can go offroad across the rocky outcrops & mudflats with the boys to fishing spots without having to worry about a few scratches, dents etc. I am only looking to spend around say 8-10K. Any suggestions? Should I stick with the Toyota or go the Nissan Patrol or something? I have heard you maybe better off buying something around the $3k mark and spending a bit by putting all the fruit on it etc. Eg. An MK/MQ patrol 85ish model. Throw on some rockcrawler rims and tyres etc. a spring over axle conversion..new shocks, spring perches, extended brake lines..Cross over steering suspension...
What do ya reckon?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 12:31

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 12:31
Mate

I reckon sell the Prado buy a sedan and then a bush basher…….Like you said if you are not going to use it why have it ? If you are going to feel bad to get one scratch on there then you are better off getting rid of it…

Just my thoughts
AnswerID: 241565

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 12:59

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 12:59
Take the Prado.
I take mine everywhere.
It has 49 000 k on it and about 28 k is off road. The scratches polish out with no trouble at all.
Its cheaper than running 2 cars, 2 lots of rego, 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of maintenance, 2 lots of tyres (the prados tyre wear is crap) etc.
Just my two bobs worth.
Scott
AnswerID: 241572

Reply By: Slammer - Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 13:22

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 13:22
I hear ya's but the Prado is still a very nice comfortable car for the family, and reliable for those beach runs and light to medium dirt tracks. I still want to be able to take the family with us on beach/fishing runs but I would also like to go to those trickier places with the lads. I do not think the family would like to be bouncing around on rocky terrain to a fishing/beach spot. You know what I mean..thats why I am thinking about selling my current sedan and buying another 4wd as a bush basher.
Do the scratches polish out?
AnswerID: 241581

Reply By: Voxson - Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 14:11

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 14:11
Here is a suggestion...
You can get scratches and dents whilst enjoying your car and it doesnt have to mean that you abuse it..
See that 8k,,, or that 3k,,, or whatever you are going to spend on another car,,,, what for????????????????????
Going to need money spent on a junker and even if you dont why settle for something less than reliable and luxurious....

Mines got leather and all the trimmings with wall to wall scratches and dents...
Your only saving your vehicle for the next guy...
BUY IT>>>>>USE IT....Spend the 3 - 8k on repairs if you have to...
Or just accept the 5k they will give you less when trading in...
Buying a second car is such false economy..

AnswerID: 241587

Reply By: Slammer - Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 17:44

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 17:44
Some very good points there.
Basically my situation is this bearing in mind I will probably be only in this environment for about 5yrs. . I need to have a second car regardless. I currently have the Prado and I also have a 2001 Hyundai Sonata which upon market value I reckon I would be lucky to get around $6K for. The transmission I reckon is on the way out and I was thinking of getting rid of it and buying the second 4wd. The sedans I believe, do not really belong up here. Thats why just about everyone drives around in a 4wd. At the moment I use the sedan purely for driving to work and back. I cannot go anywhere else with it. If I want to drive down even a dirt road to get somewhere you basically need a 4wd mainly due the corrigations or rocky outcrop. So I guess my question is would I be better to buy a cheap 4wd that I can maybe get a few years out of and take it anywhere without worrying about dents/scratches etc. and run it into the ground? Or keep the sedan in which I just use to and from work but cannot go offroad in.
I would still have the Prado to take my family etc. on the longer trips and going on the light/med or beach tracks but having the capacity to go further if absolutely necessary. As I said it is not likely that I will be taking my young family (we're talking ages of 1,3 & 9 through dense scrub and heavy 4wd tracks.
AnswerID: 241621

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 21:20

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 21:20
" it is not likely that I will be taking my young family (we're talking ages of 1,3 & 9 through dense scrub and heavy 4wd tracks."

Why not? They'd probably love it. My kids are 1, 7 and 11 and love going bush, the rougher the better. SWMBO is not so keen, but that's OK - we leave her chained to the sink (OUCH - only joking dear!!).

I'd say get rid of the Hyundai, even if you have to set a match to it, before it costs you any more. Then get a reliable and well-looked after (mechanically) 4WD for your rough trips. I would NOT buy a cheap 4WD - not that there is such a thing anyway. The last thing you want on a rough track is a 4WD that will break down and leave you stranded.

Have you thought about ditching both cars, and getting a Patrol or Landcruiser? Then you can have the best of both worlds without having to compromise on comfort or safety. Scratches and dents are not the end of the world, in fact not even a real problem. IMHO when the vehicle is 10 years old, it won't make enough difference in the resale value to justify running a second 4WD, if that's the only reason. Vehicles are liabilities, not assets, and worrying about maximising future resale value only lessens enjoyment of the vehicle in the present.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 502637

Reply By: Ron George - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 14:53

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 14:53
Personally I reckon, after reading your "all"... You`re a bit of a "tosser" ... All the fruit. Rockcrawler rims/tyres, cross over steering, axle conversion, shocks, spring perches, just to go across rocky outcrops & mud flats with the boys. Slammer!!! when you grow up, & you`re prepared to listen to good advice... Please come back. Otherwise stop wasting other peoples time... OK???
AnswerID: 241851

Follow Up By: Slammer - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 15:26

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 15:26
Who's the tosser?

If you do not like what I post in the forum then do not reply! Simple as that. Mind your own business and then you can stop wasting your own time and bugger off and go and answer someone else's questions with your pathetic non informative responses..
FollowupID: 502810

Follow Up By: Ron George - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 17:32

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 17:32
I thought I might get a response from the Tour-ack tractor brigade. Smart-arse yes, can be on occasions, pathetic, non informative, wanker... Narrrrr, won`t wear that one, but anyway keep them coming!!! The point I was making, & obviously you two missed it, & I might add others have said pretty much the same thing, albeit in different words. WHY buy a 4X4!!!! if you are not going to use it to it`s full capabilities, scratches & dings all go with the territory. And Slammer, have you costed all your add on/wish list bits for your el-cheepo chook chaser, might turn out to be a pipe dream that little boys have.
FollowupID: 502835

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 19:05

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 19:05
"WHY buy a 4X4!!!! "

Because where he lives a 4X4 is safer if you're unfortunate to encounter the wildlife on country roads, handles the many dirt roads better than a passenger car and is also safer on those roads whilst in 4X4 mode, is a better option for Cape york, Gibb River rd etc, none of these above scenarios require scratching or dinging the vehicle.
What tour-ack tractor brigade would you be refering to ? I was under the impression that 'turack tractors' are city bound 4X4's that never see a dirt rd, didn't think there were too many of them here ?

Pezza
FollowupID: 502873

Follow Up By: Ron George - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 09:38

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 09:38
Aye Prezza!!! It seams that "you`re under the same impression" as the Toorak tractor mob, countless studies have shown that what you say in your first paragraph is a crock of, if you still want to argue the point then it won`t be with me... good day to you.
Slammer... If you read this, did you not say in the last sentence of your original post, "what do ya reckon"? ie: You`re asking for an opinion, you got it, "TOSSER" if you`re having trouble with that little dig I suggest you listen to old "Chop Chop" as he would say, "Suck it up sonny & move on"!!!!
FollowupID: 503001

Follow Up By: Slammer - Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 21:31

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 21:31
And your telling me to grow up..Ha Ha..
FollowupID: 503148

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 16:38

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 16:38
I can see what your saying Slammer, I like to keep my main car looking good aswell, but there is a limit, a couple of scratches will always polish out, a very small dent or two will not devalue your car by 5-8 grand + rego ins etc.
Though if you do decide to get another one, and I can understand your point, I would go for a petrol LWB GQ wagon with a 2" lift, they're cheap to buy, 2-5k, more than capable of what you want to do with it, and tough as nails.
Don't worry too much about Ron George, there's always one or two smartarse wankers on any forum, he just happens to be filling that vacancy here for the time being.
As much as I agree with Voxson about most of his views, having a second "basher" isn't always false economy, I'd hate to be doing this with my family wagon.....!MPG:34!

Cheers
Pezza
AnswerID: 241866

Reply By: Slammer - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 18:44

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 18:44
Cheers Pezza

Appreciate your responses. Yeah its a big call either way. The other issue I have been thinking about is fuel etc. As I will be using it as another car to and from work (15mins one way) about 4days a week, I have to consider the cost in fuel aswell. The LWB GQ sounds good I have been thinking of something like that. I will check them out. Thanks

AnswerID: 241897

Sponsored Links