92 GQ gearbox mounts

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 20:44
ThreadID: 4582 Views:1396 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Like most GQ owners mine has that knocking noise.
I have just had both engine mounts relaced (both broken) and took it out yesterday thinking the knock would be cured but no!!!!!!! I sounds like it is coming from the gearbox area. I have just been outside putting a little pressure on the gearbox with a bottle jack to see if the gearbox mounts have also split but it is hard to tell, it looks as if there is movement at the mounts but I don't know how much there should be, would I be best removing the tailshaft then jacking it up.
If the gearbox mounts are broken would it give a Knocking noise and what is the procedure for replacing them(can't see any diagrams in gregorys manual)
The most obvious answer is the body mounts but they have all been replaced when I did the body lift.

Any help would be gratly appreciated

Mark. (1992 4.2efi GQ)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 22:51

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 22:51
You replaced the body mount rubbers already? retensioned them a few times too?

Then it could be the gearbox mounts, there should be a bit of give in them, but not too much, they have been known to break!

Think if the mount is broken, then the 2 1/2s banging together would make noise... clunkin probably as theres a SHIAT load of weight in a 4wd Gearbox...

Good luck,
AnswerID: 18443

Reply By: Linga Longa - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:39

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:39
I have GQ with the same problem. I too replace the engine mounts and the problem still existed. Also changed the gearbox mounts. The knock was still there.

After doing a reqular service and changing the rear LSD oil the knock went immediately.

Cheer LL
AnswerID: 21093

Sponsored Links