Rodeo diffs

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 00:28
ThreadID: 4587 Views:1449 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Although my 96 model Holden Rodeo has IFS, it has a fairly conventional sort of diff housing at the front.

With axle shafts enclosed in the housing running out to uni (?) joints and short drive shafts to transfer drive to the CV's.

For those that can't fathom what I mean, imagine a standard rear diff housing with little (200mm) long uni jointed drive arms on the ends.

This begs the question, will an LSD centre out of the rear fit the front diff of the vehicle? Are the centres interchangeable?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ray91 - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 00:42

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 00:42
NO just use lockrite or EZ locker works realy good
AnswerID: 18460

Follow Up By: Member - Peter D M - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 09:30

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 09:30
Ray has this one covered. I have a lock-rite in the front of my rodeo and it has really improved the off road capability.
regards peter
FollowupID: 11542

Reply By: djm67 - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:07

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:07
Thanks guys, a couple of follow up questions if I may.

How does the front auto locker go when you are in 2wd, with the hubs locked, but on a grippy surface like hard packed dirt or bitumen?

I don't want to have to keep getting out to unlock the hubs every time I hit something with grip.

We do a bit of driving through forest trails where 2wd is OK 95% of the time (esp with the LSD rear) but you need 4wd every now and again. But to make life easy the hubs are locked at the start of the trails (40 - 50 km) and left locked till the end. Some of the areas you can travel at up to 60km/h.

Is the auto locker suited to such applications? I know they use them in full time 4wd's, but they have drive to the diff (and therefore the locker) 100% of the time so that is a bit different.

In a part time 4wd, in 2wd, with the hubs locked, I am worried about if it will be a big factor in steering? In a hard or difficult 4wd situation at low speed, trading off steering for grip is an easy equation, but doing 60 km/h on a fire trail is a whole different thing. Do they really unlock and freewheel the outside wheel as good and as smooth as the ads claim?

TIA

AnswerID: 18527

Reply By: ray91 - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 23:01

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 23:01
Yes no problem in 2wd you wont know it is there even with hubs locked,it will unlock when it needs to.Also the steering is a little heavier in 4wd but not hardly noticable.Go for it, makes a big difference off road
AnswerID: 18545

Sponsored Links