Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry

Submitted: Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:14
ThreadID: 45877 Views:2436 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I REALLY HAVE checked the archives and 'topics', I really have tried to read as many of the resultant posts as I can , but .... there are millions of them and I can't find what I need to know. So, once again, here is a question about TYRES.

I am confused by plys. It seems simple, just the number of layers used in the construction. But my tyres show that they have 2 steel +2 polyester or something ply on the tread and two ply on the side walls. However, I'm looking at replacement tyres and the website quotes them as being 10 ply, or some brands even more. Yet these are basically the same tyres I have on at the moment. Also I see reference to 'ply rating' which seems to be different. I have read the 'tyre bible' link which appears in some posts but that didn't help (though it was very educational).

So, in the immortal words of the Fish shop owner ...please explain.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:25

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:25
As they say at the start of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy...Don't panic....

Now you could have typed "tyre bible" into Google or Yahoo which is all I did when I needed to find the site (took less time than it would have taken to post your question)...so if you do that next time you'll be right.

But to help you out here you go.....

www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
AnswerID: 242301

Follow Up By: greydemon - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:30

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:30
Thanks Wizard, but if you re-read my note you will see that I have already been there and it didn't answer my question, which could really be simplified as ...does a 10 ply tyre really have 10 layers in the side wall?

As you are a Douglas Adams fan you wuld no doubt appreciate that I am trying to disprove one of his famous quotes (from 'Last chance to see')

" Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experiences of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
FollowupID: 503259

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 19:07

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 19:07
Don't you mean Fitch Hikers?
FollowupID: 503331

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:37

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 13:37
Have a gander at my 4x4 webpage and shoot right down the bottom and see if you work it out there

members.westnet.com.au/dtilley/4X4.htm

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 242305

Follow Up By: greydemon - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 15:06

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 15:06
Thansk Doug,
I'll have a look when I get home, my work access blocks that site for some reason.

FollowupID: 503275

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 14:02

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 14:02
10ply or 8ply on a manufactures web site does not actually mean 10 or 8 layers of material these days. It is a comparative (rating) measure only, in that 10 ply is tougher than a 8 ply etc. I think all manufacturers use the same scale so a 10 ply BFG should be the same "toughness" as a 10 ply Dunlop for example, but both will probably only have 4 layers of actual material in them.
AnswerID: 242311

Follow Up By: greydemon - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 15:11

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 15:11
Thanks Mr Bitchi,

Some convoluted thinking there by the manufacturers. A 2 ply must be as tough as a two ply, it can't be as tough as a 6 ply as a 6 ply is obviously three times tougher.
What they presumably mean is that today a 4 ply is as tough as a 10 ply would have been on some unspecified date in the past. But what is the date, and whose 2 ply did they base it on as they would all have claimed that their two plys were tougher than their competitors 3 ply.

( I don't want an answer by the way, I just think they are all nuts)

8-)

FollowupID: 503277

Reply By: gary - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 15:18

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 15:18
Tyres now have a load indicie eg 104, which tells you how much load the tyre will carry when inflated to the maximum pressure.
The ply RATING is the load equivalent as what was needed in the old ply tyres.
Most radial tyres are tread 2 ply steel and 2 ply poly or rayon with sidewalls being 2 ply polyester or rayon.
Remember a tyre itself carries no weight, the air pressure which is governed by the load indicie or ply rating carries the weight...
So make sure you get your pressures right for the load your carrying, also remember the load carrying capacity is rated for the maximum speed [speed rating eg s or h]
that the tyre is capable of.
Regards Gary
AnswerID: 242329

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 15:49

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 15:49
Following on from Gary above, the old plies (many years back) were made of cotton, and a ten ply tyre had 10 cotton plies. But with stronger materials, then fewer plies were needed, so the term "ply rating" replaced it.

All tyres these days use a load index instead, but for no particular reason, old terminology still sells tyres.
AnswerID: 242336

Sponsored Links