tyre pressures and compressors

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 12:24
ThreadID: 4589 Views:1580 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can someone advise me as to what tyre pressures would be recommended for travelling on corrugations and soft sand. I have a Pajero with Kumo radial poweguards ( 6ply). Also what sort of air compressor should I get and how much should I spend. This is for a trip around oz with some driving on gravel and some beach work but I don't plan on doing serious off road stuff.
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 13:36

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 13:36
John depending on the load on you truck , on corrugations as in the cape we start at about 24 front and 30 rear see how that goes. then you can go lower if needed.In soft sand you can go down as low as 12 front and 18 rear but take it easy.
As I said it depends on load.
AS for a compressers there are many brands we like the Blue tongue.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 18494

Reply By: Darren - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 15:57

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 15:57
On soft sand fully loaded ive been down to 8psi but i was competing with an incoming tide and was starting to worry a bit.Also i drove slowly with no sharp cornering so as not to roll the tyre off the bead and pumped them back up to 15psi as soon as possible. I own a blue tongue(approx $450) and reckon it was worth it. Consider it insurance against ruining your tyres due to under inflation. With this compressor can pump 4 tyres from 15 to 35 psi in less than 10 mins. Good luck.
AnswerID: 18497

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 16:06

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 16:06
I use a Big Red .. $300 and am happy with it , it seems quicker than others who pump their tyres up at the same time but a few minutes in the bush is neither here not there !! ( and drive it off the auxilliary battery)
AnswerID: 18498

Follow Up By: Michael - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 14:15

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 14:15
Hi Steve, $300, now! i think they started at around double that price when they came out, they sound like a good buy now. Correct me if i'm wrong. Regards Michael.
FollowupID: 11609

Reply By: nomad - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 18:48

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 18:48
Depends on the load John, I find 20psi cold good for corrigations & 15psi was fine on the loose sand of the French line,but I don't carry much weight.
zerro punctures in the last 300,000km,lower preasures work.
AnswerID: 18514

Reply By: scott - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 23:47

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 23:47
Between 15 & 20psi will get through most soft sand, any lower with load you run the risk of rolling the tyre off the rim,
We have an ARB $340 does the job no problems.
AnswerID: 18548

Reply By: Gordon - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 17:42

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 17:42
John
The maximum pressure you can use will depend on the pressure rating of your tyre. The maximum pressure should be marked on the sidewall.

Fat tyres have lower rated pressures than thin tyres (all other dimensions being the same) because they are inherently weaker.

For all tyres the maximum pressure is recommended if required to carry the tyre's full rated load and/ or at high speed.

In off-road conditions the tyre will again carry more load at the higher pressures so you should run at the highest pressure consistent with vehicle loading, speed and not getting bogged in soft sand.

At lower pressure the tyre flexes more and may generate more heat even on flat roads which could damage the tyre more compared with higher pressure.

If pressures are lower than the manufacturer's recommendation (due to road coditions) then reduce speed until you can return to normal pressures.

Sometimes it is unavoidable to run at lower pressures (soft sand). Return to normal pressures as soon as possible afterwards.

Don't be fooled by the smoother ride you'll get at lower pressures over corrugations. This can makes the tyres do a lot more work. Better to let the suspension do the work after all that's what it's designed for.

Fully loaded on outback roads and highways, I run at 40psi Front and 50 psi Back on my 7.5R16 split rims (skinnies). Last trip was Brisbane to Kimberleys and return - 10,000 km on bitumen, dirt and corrugations - no problems.

Happy trails.
AnswerID: 18690

Sponsored Links