DIESELGAS pricing

Submitted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 15:02
ThreadID: 46032 Views:2070 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Quotes seem to be either $3000 or $4400 for the conversion, all-up.
Why the difference, and does it alter the outcome significantly?
Thanks for the Enlightenment, (which I just feel will follow).
Jeff.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 16:56

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 16:56
Jeff,
$4175 in WA. But we get an extra rebate of $1000. So maybe they just put the price up for us? Not sure
Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 243226

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 18:24

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 18:24
Several reasons - take your pick

The usual reasons - Free enterprise, Competition (or lack of), New technology, 2 different systems that I know of.

You have to remember that petrol-gas conversions have been done for years. Diesel-Gas conversions have only recently become popular so many mechanics are still learning how to do it.

Are the comparisons you quoted based on the same type of vehicle?
AnswerID: 243266

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 20:15

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 20:15
Jay Gee (and Matt),
Thanks for your input. What concerns me is that the price offered is either one or the other: nothing in between. Each camp quote on a 2001 built 3L Rodeo. One bloke from the 'El Cheapos' took time out to inspect the Chariot: struck me as honest (young feller, and only been doing diesels for "about a year". But well spoken of by both my mechanics).

Folks, I simply don't know why two (apparently) different approaches to the same focus point vary so much in price: is it to do with "average" performance cf "tweakable" performance?

Interesting to those of us denied exposure to the warming light of technology.
Jeff H.
FollowupID: 504236

Reply By: MichaelR - Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 21:23

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 21:23
Jeff H
I recently asked for a quote from a mob in Qld and they sent me the following reply. It may answer a few of you questions. Hope it helps.

Our system is literally fuel injection for lpg. This system monitors Engine
RPM, Engine Operating Temp, Manifold Boost Pressure, Throttle Position &
from this information the LPG Processor knows whether you are Accelerating,
Cruising or even Decelerating & the LPG Injection is calibrated accordingly.
The beauty of this is the precise delivery of the lpg. You don't waste the
lpg between gear changes or at idle or even simply backing off & slowing
down. The same can't be said for our competitors systems using stepper
motors & a vacuum signal to regulate the lpg delivery. Very inconsistent as
diesels don't create a vacuum like a petrol engine, instead they actually
pulse so the mixture is very difficult to get right & keep right. Admittedly
It's actually where we started 7yrs ago & needless to say we've developed
the system a long way since then.

Our system comes with 2yrs / 50,000klm Warranty. All our conversions include
a free full tank of lpg, free dyno tuning & to top it off we also offer a
readjustment after 1500klm @ No Charge where we make sure we are still
getting the best from the system once it has bedded in ensuring the optimum
running from the vehicle.

We generally achieve savings in the vicinity of 20% to 30% & we achieve very
similar results in improvement in BHP.
AnswerID: 243342

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 22:16

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 22:16
Thanks Michael. That may well shape future questions.
Jeff.
FollowupID: 504294

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 22:36

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 22:36
Hi Jeff
Which company was that info from?.
Thanks Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 504306

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 23:21

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 23:21
Lyndon, I'm not sure what the protocol is with this one, and was going to reply off-line. Do you mind if I sleep on it? Reason being that I've just got mail (and quote), from a company similar to that mentioned by MichaelR. Their package certainly appears to be more comprehensive than some in the field, and at around $2000 premium, it would jolly well want to be:

The question may well come down to: "Do I take the Cayenne or the ole Rocky down the muddy, salty track to go crabbing?"
Cheque book (and reality) scream "Daihatsu".
Dunno. Sorry to welsh. Will get back.
BTW, are you in this neck of the woods at the moment? 'Cause I got a call from a bloke near Rocky today, but we never spoke one-on-one; just messages.
Jees! A bearing that retails at $100 can often be found for $30 - and a profit still happens. Talk to you tomorrow Lyndon. Jeff.
FollowupID: 504318

Reply By: madcow - Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 07:27

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 07:27
$4260.00 fitted in Wodonga!!!!!! And that comes witha 30-40 litre tank. A Wb ute with tank fitted underneath cost $2450.00. I just cannot see $1800.00 for the map sensor, computer as well as a smaller tank! The labour costs would be only marginally more for a 4wd setup.

All this before the rebate

And you would have to pay ( if you wish) for warranty on top of your Vehicles one. another $160.00. You'd think that would be included!
AnswerID: 243414

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 18:22

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 18:22
Thanks madcow - a ruff picture is forming.
Computer has been down since last night, so no progress today. Jeff.
FollowupID: 504469

Follow Up By: madcow - Thursday, May 31, 2007 at 07:34

Thursday, May 31, 2007 at 07:34
The concept is a good one and is worthy of more merit than it gets at the moment but like all things new the price is high and will probably come down with time. Last trip away for us towing showed usage at 21 mpg from an 03 gu 4.2tdi with 3"exhaust.
FollowupID: 504563

Reply By: Dallas from Team Green Autogas - Saturday, Jun 02, 2007 at 18:49

Saturday, Jun 02, 2007 at 18:49
G'day Jeff,

Mate the difference in price comes from the 2 operating principles of Diesel - LPG Conversion.
You have what they call Vapour Injection which is literally fuel injection for lpg which is what our system is. The reply that MichaelR posted is actually my reply to his inquiry. As it says, our system (vapour Injection) actually monitors throttle position, Manifold Boost Pressure, Engine RPM & Engine Operating Temp so the system knows whether you are accelerating, cruising or even decelerating so in-turn it knows how much lpg to inject & when. This means that you're not wasting the lpg @ idle or in between gear changes or as you back off when you come up behind traffic as you're running along the highway.

The other system is the simple & cheaper way but less efficient & less effective. It's how we were doing it 6yrs ago. You fit a venturi system which works on exactly the same principle as a carby conversion on a petrol vehicle. It senses the draw from the engine & relies on the engine to physically pull the lpg into the engine.
The only problem with that is the fact that a diesel doesn't have vacuum like a petrol engine does. The diesel engine actually pulses so the lpg delivery isn't very acurate. Also when you are idling, changing gears or coasting it's still putting lpg into the engine (when you don't want it to be).

If you talk to an old trucky he'll tell you about his bbq bottle in the passenger seat with his garden hose running up to the air intake. When they see a hill coming up or they want to pass another truck they'd lean accross, crack the tap open & hang on, then shut it off at the top & wait for the next hill.

There's more than 1 way to skin a cat but if you're looking for something that'll be reliable & effective then you need to do it right.

Consider the fact that you might save yourself money by shopping around & compromising on what you fit but the 1st time it gives you trouble you're going to be up for repairs, doing your savings & then you're stuck with it.

Kind Regards
Dallas Green

AnswerID: 244216

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 02, 2007 at 23:58

Saturday, Jun 02, 2007 at 23:58
Dallas,
I agree that there's more ways to kill a cat than by choking it with milk.
I've picked up a fair bit in quick time, and I have little doubt that your service is, in the scheme of things, true value for money, and that others (Rosslyn Bay Diesel Services [Kim]) for example, are equally as dedicated.

However I remain a tad sceptical of the common base from which the entire industry is currently working.**

Could be educational to read a post from the 'other team' in support of their system.
I'd like to express my thanks to all of you to whom I've exposed my ignorance. (I had no idea that EO was so widely read).
Regards,
Jeff.

** Seems that to convert from petrol to gas a year or two ago was around $2000.
If the dieselgas job is merely adding gas 'injection', explain to me (and others), why the job now costs in excess of $4000, given that original equipment is left untouched.
ps. for anyone measuring up the ute for "available space", it may be worth a google on
asia motor vehicles,autogas lpg conversion kits
probably more a guide than definitive. jh.
FollowupID: 505242

Sponsored Links