Engel or not Engel??

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:57
ThreadID: 4604 Views:2328 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Ok...the big question. I own a 60lt engel fridge that just packed up. The compressor gave way, and have to replace the complete cooling unit. It is about 9 years old. It is going to cost $750 to fix. I know that this certain model wasnt too reliable and alot of people are saying that engel have fixed the problem of better mounting of the compressor etc. I want to get a knew fridge and start from scratch again, but a majority of people say to stick with another engel. I am impressed with the 110lt waeco with its 3 different compartments, but am put off by the plastic shell. Are there any other waeco owners out there that find that this is not a problem?

Thanks....Stolzy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:44

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:44
Stolzy,
When my old Engel reached 17 years of age without mechanical problems I passed it on to a friend and it is still in service. It was the 15 litre model. The plastic body however had disintegrated over many rough trips and I had to employ lots of extraordinary methods to keep it together such as rope, wire, glue, fusion, tin plates and screws.
My new 32 litre Engel has run flawlessly now for the past 18 months.
A mate of mine has a Waeco and he is quite happy with it but had some trouble with the charging accessories when it was new. I think he plugged it in the wrong way and blew a fuse or a diode.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 18564

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:47

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:47
$750 to fix??? Another reason I happy to pay $8 a day to hire one!

For another ~$350 you get a new one with warranty.. not 60 ltr, but do you need one that big?

As for plastic body, Im with you.. Id be cautious.

Waecos, engels they all have good and bad, try searchin the archives, if you have that much time to read all the threads on it...
AnswerID: 18570

Follow Up By: Stolzy - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:03

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:03
Truckster,

I find it alot more handy having a 60lt, because with a family of 4, you need that extra space for longer trips. Sometimes i even take an esky just to keep drinks in,nd keep the fridge for food only.

Stolzy
FollowupID: 11627

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:59

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:59
No problems dude, thought you would have a reason for a large one!

looked at a 3 compartment new jobby today at Outback accessories in Seaford.. Alan has one there on display.

Again they are all cabinet and no storage.. Shame they arent like an esky!
FollowupID: 11634

Reply By: chopper - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:09

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:09
Ive got a 110litre waeco, so far very impressed.

Can't speak to durability however as i have only had it few months.
AnswerID: 18574

Follow Up By: Stolzy - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:05

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:05
Hi Chopper,

Just a couple of questions.....

Can the fridge be used as a fridge only?

Can a partition be taken out to give more space?

Stolzy.
FollowupID: 11628

Follow Up By: chopper - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:39

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:39
stolzy,

yes it can run as a fridge only, this is the only way i've used it in the truck so far.

Removing the partition does not give you any more space as the baskets stay the same.

I did try putting frozen bricks where the partition should be and i believe that this made a big difference, the bricks were still frozen a couple of days later. (but that was while doing a long drive and turning the fridge up whilst underway.) would be interesting to have bricks that fitted properly and see what happens.

chopper
FollowupID: 11629

Reply By: bruce - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:22

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:22
For $650 you can have a 50l Waeco seconds from the fridgeshop.com..If you are lucky and get in at the right time or are prepared to wait for the model you want..I just took delivery of a 50l model that Karyn from 1800212121 said had cosmetic damage ...the only damage that I found was an indistinct mark on the lid and a few little marks around the body which a light rub with steel wool soon removed...I reckon it was a great buy..cheers
AnswerID: 18576

Reply By: wherethefugawi - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:14

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:14
Being a fridgie I built one myself similar to a well known brand that used the older 12v Danfoss Reciprocating compressor. Mine is 2.5 alloy construction 70mm insulation (as was the unit I copied) and is approx 60l and has worked flawlessly for several years. Being of thick alloy has been a bonus since I did not have it tied down in the beginning as it makes a racket when when it hits the floor after being airborne.... and doesnt show any signs of dents etc , just a few scratches (i have since installed a fridge carrier/harness. Was it worth it to make one myself...i'd have to say yes as it kept me out of way from the missus. Have also got a 60l engel which has also worked flawlessly for 2 yrs ( i scored this for nothing) and as it was only 12months old i would expect it to go for several more yrs yet.
Providing they are not allowed to float/bounce around in the back i cant see why a plastic one shouldnt be as good as the thin walled Engels and others similar. The Engel uses a swing type compressor and is driven by a frequency drive, i think, and both components are fairly costly and there is an additional expense when it comes to fitting a new compressor the cost of labour and refrigerant etc. The Engel i speak above was given as a replacement (a new unit) to one (some 4 yrs old at the time) that the Service agent had had 2 previous attemps at repairing. A very good outcome for the owner and a credit to Engel for honouring their service repair warranty by giving a new fridge...Cant go past good cutomer relations
AnswerID: 18594

Reply By: grayma - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:17

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:17
I have owned a 100lt Trailblaza for about 4 years, was converted after travelling away with family friends who have owned one for about 12 years of trouble free camping. They are made from a marine grade aluminium and are very durable. Come in several sizes from 40lt and up.
I know they are made in Queensland and are only available from there.
Give them a try they were quite reasonbly priced compared to the engel!

MSG
AnswerID: 18595

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 23:59

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 23:59
I have a waeco cf 50 and have had no problems so far , I have it in a bag for extra cooling I love the weight factor only 18kg empty and drawers very little power over a 24 h period Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 18650

Reply By: PETER - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:52

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:52
got my waeco from Karyn 1800 21 21 21 saved a bundle and it works just like a fridge should work . - heard about a blond with a vacume flask and she was aware that it kept hot things hot and cold things cold - so she had a hot cup of coffee and an ice cream bar in hers
have a great day regards peter
AnswerID: 18652

Sponsored Links