Suggestions for carrying a Primus gas bottle in a Patrol wagon

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 23:03
ThreadID: 4606 Views:6051 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone have ideas or suggestions on the best/safest locations (and with what accessory, if any) to carry a LPG gas bottle in a Patrol wagon.

I don't think it's really safe to carry in the cabin, but I'm not aware of a good alternative. Don't want to carry it on roof racks, but happy to carry it on say an accessory mount at rear of vehicle (but waht about safety if someone rear-ends me?).

Should I consider alternate energy devices that use "safer" fuel than LPG, instead - if so, any ideas?

Any advice appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 00:45

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 00:45
Have been carrying 2 1.25kg gas cylinders on all my camping trips in the boot of my brothers GQ Patrol, and never had any trouble. Just make sure you have the valves checked regularly, and you should not have a problem. I beleive it is illegal to carry a gas bottle anywhere but in, or on the roof rack of a vehicle, so i don't think you will have any luck with finding someone who will make a mount for it. Try having 2 smaller bottles, rather than 1 large bottle, and keep them tucked tight to each rearmost corner of the car, making sure they cannot rub on anything, and are not gonna go flying if you need to hti the anchors. You could consider an unleaded ar shellite stove, but you will still need to carry fuel, and given the choice of a completely sealed gas bottle, or a fuel tin which will need to breathe, i will allways go for a gas bottle.

Just my oppinion. Tristjo.
AnswerID: 18555

Reply By: Member - Willem- Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:11

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:11
LoneWolf,

I have made a bracket from galvanised sheet metal that fits on to the spare wheel carrier behind the spare wheel of my Nissan. The bracket is L shaped and covers the top of the spare wheel.(the spare wheel is easily removed when needed. I have mounted a 10litre paint tin on to the bracket and carry my 4kg gas bottle in the tin. The gasbottle is below the roofline of my 4by. I do not have a roof rack.

Don't know about the legalities of my construction but who cares anyway. If you are worried about being tail ended in the city then only carry the bottle when you go camping. Carrying a gas bottle inside a vehicle has some danger as a leaking cylinder could be ignited by a spark from electrical equipment(or if you are a smoker)being used inside the vehicle.

I carry jerrycans of petrol inside my 4by and have done so safely for many years. Yes, in an accident the fuel might explode, but if we worry about all possible eventualities in life then we might as well stay at home.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 18562

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 08:23

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 08:23
LoneWolf,

I have carried gas bottles and seen carried in the back of 4x4's for years with no problems at all. Just make sure they are securely stowed and have the bottles checked regularly, even use the changeover program some gas companies are using as the bottles are guaranteed. I have used shellite stoves and the gas stoves are safer to use and gas is MUCH safer to carry in your vehicle than fuels such as shellite or ULP.

All the best

________________________________>
Fraser Island Dreaming
AnswerID: 18565

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:39

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:39
Legally you can carry up to a 9kg I think it is inside a car.. But what do you do if it leaks while your out, and the car fills with gas and you get static blast on yoru car, or your interior light sparks as you open the door?. It happened to a plumber few yrs back, they found parts of the car and him in the next street.

In a milk crate wrapped in a dry-as-abone and 2 hockey straps holding it in tied to cargo barrier. Or in my old rear storage, made a pocket in the draw for it to stand up in with rubber on all sides.

Other option is on the Roofrack. See loads of them mounted up there in crates, or just few straps... one bloke in club made a mount for the roofrack, and brackets with rubber and foam on them thats sort of permanent.. ya have to undo 2 nylock nuts to get it down.

YMMV

AnswerID: 18569

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 17:44

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 17:44
I gotta ask Truckster whats the YMMV mean...I know I am going to regret asking________________________________>
Fraser Island Dreaming
FollowupID: 11619

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:58

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:58
YMMV
Your Mileage May Vary
FollowupID: 11633

Sponsored Links