Winch Connection

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 18:42
ThreadID: 4625 Views:1501 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've heard two schools of thought on where to connect winch in a dual battery setup.

To primary battery and run engine while winching because that gives more power output

To auxiliary battery to avoid risk of flattening cranking battery

Any comments?

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 18:55

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 18:55
Motley,
Check out postid 4179, hope it helps a bit.
regardsLove the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 18614

Reply By: Shane - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 20:34

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 20:34
Motley,
In addition to the post that you got advised to read, running the winch of a deep cycle is definately useless and bad for the battery.
If you have two start batteries in your setup, it is up to you which one you run off IF you have an older diesel vehicle, (eg Patrol 4.2 Diesel), that isn't an electronic injection type (eg Prado). This is because these vehicles don't need the battery to stay running, (Just don't stall her, but you should be able to revert to your auxillery to start up again).
But if your vehicle is petrol or a late model elec injected diesel, maybe running of the start could leave you stranded.
Just take in mind a combination of all the posts, they are helpful.
Shane
AnswerID: 18622

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 15:17

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 15:17
Shane made a good point re using the deep cycle. It can also depend on how often you use the winch.
If you're going to be a weekend warrior ie. constantly and maybe intentionally aiming your car at giant bogholes I would not include the deep cycle. As mine would be used only when it really has to be I like the idea of the extra juice in case the engine ever gives out. If it means saving the car (or maybe even lives) I can always replace the deep cycle.

After buying my winch I was careful not to become complacent by driving less carefully because "the almighty winch." So the odd use of it won't harm the battery as much as constant heavy work. I'd be lucky to use it twice a year with medium work. Nearly all the other times it has been the old snatch strap, handwinch for pulling backward type work.

regardsLove the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 11752

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 15:18

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 15:18
It's also not hard to undo the wingnut off the deep cycle and remove the winch lead in case you ever want to do serious winch work.Love the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 11753

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 22:07

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 22:07
Run a good battery like an Exide Extreme for your second battery and attach winch to that.
AnswerID: 18643

Sponsored Links