Steering Box

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 05, 2007 at 22:33
ThreadID: 46332 Views:3172 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I have an old 80 series 92 mod ,had it for a couple of years
it likes to make its own way down the road , the steering wheel has about an inch to an inch and a half of free play in it I suspect that this is to much and may need work .Can you put a kit through it and how hard is it to put it in . I do most jobs on the old girl and would like your advice on whether it is worth doing or better of leaving it to the experts .I enquired about a second hand one but couldn't work out how to check whether it was any good or not . Any help would be very appreciated.Cheers Roughneck.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sarg - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2007 at 22:48

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2007 at 22:48
Try looking at the condition of all the steering rod ends, wheel bearings, shockies, even tyre pressures before getting too involved in the steering box. More than likley to be something simpler & less expensive than the box.
AnswerID: 245025

Follow Up By: Roughneck - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2007 at 23:23

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2007 at 23:23
Thanks Sarg We inspected all linkages when we put camber bushes in about a month ago, we cant find any worn parts steering wise other than the box ,it's the movement in the steering wheel that led us to believe that there could be worn parts in the box I was hopping other members may have had to work on the steering boxes. Thanks for the reply Sarg cheers Roughneck.
FollowupID: 506110

Reply By: traveller2 - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:21

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:21
The steering boxes do wear but most can be adjusted to remove most of the slack.
Jack the front up and use stands to support the vehicle so that both front wheels are off the ground.
On the top/side of the box is a nut with a grub screw in the centre, probably around 14mm from memory, some have an allen head. The nut is a locknut.
Before loosening the nut mark the steering box case, the nut and the screw so that you know where they were before you start fiddling.
Carefully loosen the lock nut, then slowly wind the grub screw in checking the steering every so often to see if it is binding. As soon as the steering wheel starts to bind back it off a whisker and tighten the locknut.
Keep note of how many turns you wound the screw in so that you know how much you have adjusted it.
Take it for a drive, make sure the steering doesn't bind and self centres as it did originally before adjustment.
If the box is badly worn you may have to adjust it a second time to get the slop out.
If you can't adjust the slop out then a rebuild will be required.
AnswerID: 245071

Follow Up By: Roughneck - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:51

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:51
Thanks Traveller2 That was the first thing we looked at , there does not look to be any more adjustment left ,we could not turn the screw any more and that is why we were looking at the box, I have an old neighbour that studied wheel aligning he is good with his advice but has never built the box. Thanks for the help cheers Roughneck
FollowupID: 506178

Reply By: me2@neuralfibre.com - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:56

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:56
Check the rubber joint on the steering shaft. Inside the car from memory on those.
AnswerID: 245099

Reply By: kktdw - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 16:45

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 16:45
Roughneck. I have 2001 100 series and have just had all the same problems you talk about. The steering slack was just getting to be very annoying and I had to constantly correct and over correct the damn thing especially at cruising speed. I also noticed that the slop got worse after the box warmed up. My first thought was that it had something to do with the fluid so I took it to Eastern Suburbs Power Steering in Bayswater Victoria. They took the box out of the car to adjust but couldn't get all the slop out so they did a rebuild! The rebuild cost $880 all up including align. I thought this was a lot of dosh but couldn't stand the feel of the steering so I got the job done. The steering is much better now but I think I still have some slop in the flexible joint that is just inside the car at the fire wall. I will fix this when I get back form Wanaaring in a week or two. Sorry, but a box rebuild could be the best shot for you. The ball and Nut design qwill always have some slack. They are tough boxes but a little lacking in feel at the straight ahead. Ken
AnswerID: 245161

Follow Up By: Roughneck - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 19:02

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 19:02
Hi kktdw thanks for the reply , I sort have resigned to the fact that it is a rebuild but I am going to check out the rubber flexible joint just in case , I will do this in the next couple of days as I have done my back in and looks like under the knife job any way thanks for your help and if it turns out to be anything different I will let you know . Cheers Roughneck
FollowupID: 506283

Sponsored Links