Hands free debate

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:42
ThreadID: 46342 Views:2342 Replies:17 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
I have a mobile but very seldom use it. If it should ring whilst driving I will pull over off the road and stop to answer or my pasenger will answer it.

We have discussed some of these topics before but..........

What is the difference between talking on a Hands Free phone and talking to your passengers in the vehicle? You get just as distracted!

What is the difference between talking on a mobile phone and talking on a UHF or HF Radio? You get just as distracted!!

The world has gone mad................

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:48

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:48
Words of wisdom from one so young!!!

I used to have a hands-free kit in my last 4x4, but have not bothered in this Chevvy jobbie.

One reason I read a few years ago (which seemed like garbage to me) was that when you hold a phone to one ear, your sub-conscious diverts your attention to that side of your body. That means that if you're driving with the phone to your left ear, that you will be less likely to notice a huge Kenworth bearing down upon your right side.

The theory goes, however, that when using a hand held microphone, it is being held directly in front of your face, so there is no such bias towards one side of your body or the other.

BOLLOCKS!!!! hahahaha
AnswerID: 245081

Follow Up By: Blaze - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:47

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:47
Sounds possible to me Roachie but before I had my unit fitted to this vehicle I used my Handheld on a trip away. Well you guessed it, I got stopped in Vic for talking on the phone. When they realised it was a UHF they called to the station to check if this was still agains't the law and were advised no it wasn't.

They conceded that this was stupid as when using the Handheld most people hold these to the side of their heads as its easier. So just shows to go yah how stupid some of our laws are...

Personally I believe it 100 times more dangerous to look down at your stereo system and change CH or volume, and of course even to change uhf channels on a set mounted low in the dash.....
FollowupID: 506228

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:04

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:04
Williem,

"What is the difference between talking on a Hands Free phone and talking to your passengers in the vehicle? You get just as distracted!"

I think you'll find that the arguement is that a passenger is "in your environment" and expects you to listen only when it is appropriate. For example they'll stop if a truck has just cut you off at an intersection.

Whenever I see a car in front of me driviung erratically 9 times out of ten they're on the phone. Doesn't matter if it's hads free or not.

With UHF only one person speaks at a time with a a pause in between. Therefore it is not a fluent conversation and not as distracting.

My thoughts anyway.
AnswerID: 245085

Reply By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:11

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:11
Personally I don't think that there is any difference between talking on a hands free or talking to a passenger, because you still have both hands free to turn the wheel, change gears, (drinking your drink - just kidding).

However, when talking on a mobile without hands free, one hand is holding the phone and this is dangerous in my opinion because you don't have proper control of the steering wheel, especially when changing gears, as I have seen people take their hand off the steering wheel to change gear whilst driving and holding the phone in the other hand - its dangerous and stupid.

I also believe that there are some people out there who shouldn't be allowed to talk to anyone whilst they are driving regardless as to whether it is a passenger or on the phone as they get easily distracted.

Karl
AnswerID: 245088

Reply By: Garbutt - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:45

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:45
It's not just talking on the phone that's the problem, it's also dialling, looking down to find the right button to press to answer and text messaging. None of those apply to using a radio.

GB
AnswerID: 245095

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:00

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:00
I see your point Garbutt, but I have an integrated hands free system that I am allowed to use under the legislation according to your comment. With that though I still have 10 digits to tap on the dashboard keypad. If I had the phone out of it's holder the frequently called numbers would have just one for a direct dial system.

I think in Victoria, police people are exempt from the same restrictions. I have been in buses and taxis in the past few weeks overseas where the drivers frequently answered the phone and even made calls. The texting certainly is a problem and should be stamped out.

With some of the restrictions I have thought that smokers should also be penalised but that horse has bolted. Eating and drinking, even coffee, is also a distraction when it is at the same time as drivers juggle a wheel and gear lever.

Hope you make sure those Berri-boys are on their bikes with you, I know a couple that can use the exercise
FollowupID: 506185

Follow Up By: Blaze - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:49
What about changing Ch or Volume, do we all pull to the side of the road. I think NOT....
FollowupID: 506229

Follow Up By: Blaze - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:58

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:58
Geez John thats no way to talk about Uncle Des and Scoey4, they get a bit of exercise.

You will see above I had put a reply it was meant for Mr Garbutt.

Having said that I wouldn't like to have a pay a fine for every time I have had to drop the hand piece to my UHF when either needing to change back a gear etc (prior to this vehicle). I can recall also talking to someone on UHF and a roo jumping out in front of me and wishing I had both hands on the wheel when it hapened.

I agree with the texting thing and I guess the hassle will be if they allowed talking even if it was with speed dialing, it would be harder to police the texting side.
FollowupID: 506232

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2007 at 15:29

Sunday, Jun 10, 2007 at 15:29
whts rng wth txtng yr frndz 4 gndss sake ths wrld s lsng itz mrblz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 506861

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jun 10, 2007 at 15:53

Sunday, Jun 10, 2007 at 15:53
Cos Mr Bonz, you may mis-spell and get the wrong message across as I think you are.....! You aren't understandable :-)
FollowupID: 506869

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2007 at 15:55

Sunday, Jun 10, 2007 at 15:55
Its perfectly clear: I said

We are having a wonderful time at Kilcunda and wish you were here.

Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 506870

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jun 10, 2007 at 16:38

Sunday, Jun 10, 2007 at 16:38
hv w hd dnnr lrdy?
FollowupID: 506877

Reply By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:49

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:49
Switch to voice mail and turn the darn thing off when driving.
Mobiles when out for a meal
The other day 2 phone going off in public toilet
WHAT DUH!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 245097

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:02

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:02
Mythbusters did a test and confirmed using the moble is highly distracting especially so when it is a detailed convesation. Bu yea other things are surely as distracting.
I lose all fluency trying to talk to people in the car in traffic.
(lose all fuency at the pub as well though)
AnswerID: 245102

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:19

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:19
The circumstances which lead to a conversation are the basis for whether the driver will be compromised in vehicle control.

What I mean is, if a customer rings for in depth technical support because their network has just gone down, or if your passenger is your wife who has just told you she is bonking your best friend, you will become very dangerous on the road. You will be thinking only of your just inherited problem (solution?) and you will lose concentration on driving.

But if your wife rings to confirm if you will be home at a certain time, or if your passenger remarks that there is a flashing red light at the upcoming rail crossing, your danger quotient will not increase, and may decrease. Not all conversation requires sufficient concentration to distract from the driving task.

But if you have to turn the radio off, press buttons on the phone, lift phone to ear, or initiate calls while driving, or texting, there should be zero tolerance as it is an accident waiting to happen.

Bluetooth phone system which auto answers and mutes radio is OK, but if you are likely to receive calls which require heavy thought, use messagebank.

AnswerID: 245106

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:34

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:34
It is only a problem since technology became so cheap and all the idiots on the road can afford it .. I had a car phone 20 years ago and nobody bothered going 200km/h on the Autobahn and talking to your staff or secretary ... never had a problem with distraction or lack of concentration ...
it's like with everything .. the idiots are spoiling the party .. when I see some people driving and talking here (and I see a lot despite the fines) it frightens me what low skill levels these guys and gals have ... slowing down, crossing lines accidentally, not staying straight, braking accidentally and so on ..
It's not a world gone mad .. it's just the idiots becoming obvious and there is plenty of them .. 4WDs should have a 50.000$ tax on them then we might get some sense again in the bush by just reducing numbers ...

have fun
gmd
AnswerID: 245108

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:30

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:30
Are you suggesting that IQ is propertional to your wealth?
FollowupID: 506211

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:45

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:45
it's usually the other way around ...
and the looks come into it also ...
have fun
gmd
FollowupID: 506217

Follow Up By: Brian B (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 15:09

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 15:09
-gmd-pps

I suggest you take your tax suggestion and your other rot back to the autobahn where it may be wanted as it isn't here.
FollowupID: 506235

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:39

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:39
Many years ago I was watching the Bathurst 1000. During the telecast the comentary team would cut to the camera in the car and at times talk to the driver.

It was during one such cross that Peter Brock ran what turned out tom be his fastest laps of the race, including a lap record.

Driving on a race track is much different to driving on a normal road, but it still requires a great deal fo concentration. I know that when I am driving there are times when the activity of my kids in the car, or even conversations with other passengers can be very distracting. I have a hads free kit in the car, all I have to do to answer the phone is to open it, it's a flip. Sometimes, i find the conversation relaxing and can help me sometimes it is distracting. When it is distracting I terminate it as I would a conversation with someone in the car. Or if they ask a question I finish what I am doing, be that turning a corner or just keeping an eye on another motorist, before answering it. If the caller can't cope with that they usually hang up. I almost never instigate a call while driving.

Sometines the UHF is distracting too so I turn it off.

Duncs
AnswerID: 245109

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:24

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:24
"Sometines the UHF is distracting too so I turn it off."

Absolutely agree, more so in the cities with all the drongo's telling evryone they "have a big c@*k" drives me balmy. Sometimes with the young fella in the car it doesn't even get turned on at all due to the swearing.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 506209

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:33

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:33
Duncs,
Perhaps Brockie's phone rang when he stacked it at the Targa last year in WA.
Sorry, that was in poor taste...
Gerry
FollowupID: 506212

Reply By: Rock Ape - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:36

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 13:36
Willem,
twice I have been in vehicles that went red lights. The drivers were both talking on mobiles. Mobiles seem like a time bomb waiting to go off.

Uhf's don't seem to cause the same problems, don't ask me why I haven't got a clue. I have to use 2 radios while driving which are on diferent channels, this can be annoying when you are talking on 1 and someone is calling on the other, at that time I just tell them to wait.

The Ape

AnswerID: 245129

Reply By: Nick R (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:10
Last I knew it was illegal to use UHF, CB, etc while driving as well as a phone, This is old information so might be out dated.
I believe taxi drivers had an exemption when they had to use the 2 way radio as they had to call up for jobs.

JohnR might remember when Mrs JohnR called on the UHF to say she was on her way home from town while the local copper who was helping re-roof the house was in near the UHF having a cuppa hearing the conversation.........

Thoughts?
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 245133

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:24

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:24
Better tell the police that cause they use their vhfs all the time, last time I told a gentleman of the law his job' he was very polite and proceeded to kick me in the shins, nice and gentle of course

The ape
FollowupID: 506226

Follow Up By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:58

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 14:58
There are exemptions to the law, such as Police etc talking on radios or even mobiles as long as it is work related and not personal calls.

Also is only applicable if only one person is in the vehicle, if there are two or more then the calls need to be answered to by the passenger. So if the driver is talking on a mobile and he has a passenger then he is committing an offence.

Karl
FollowupID: 506231

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 16:03
Hi Nick R

In WA, using a mobile phone whilst driving is illegal, but using your 2 way is not. From a recent thread on one of the forums, it seems to be the same in the other states. However if you are driving erratically while using your 2way, they can get you for dangerous driving. If you are driving erratically, not using 2way or phone, same again.

Since WA came into line with the other states on the mobiles, it is worse because the youngsters do send text messages (still illegal), but think they won't get caught because the phone can't be seen.

I keep my mobile in my handbag, so when it rings while i am driving, i say the my passenger "answer my phone please - it's in my handbag" to which he replies "i can't hear it ringing" and the conversation repeats itself as many times as it takes until the phone stops ringing. Moral of the story is probably - don't ring me when I'm driving because i won't get your call.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 506245

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 16:15

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 16:15
Thanks for the info Karl

See now I know why I got my shins kicked, or was it when the crown sargent asked me why I had a hunting saddle in the boot, I told him I was a jockey all 14 stone of me.

The Ape
FollowupID: 506251

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 15:45

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 15:45
If my phone rings while i am driving I let it go thru to 101 or some callers realise and SMS me.

I will pull over and check the messagebank when it is safe to do so.

People who know me realise that if i don't answer i must be driving or i am out of range.
I am of the opinion that NOBODY, including myself, is that important that they should endanger other lives to answer a damned phonecall.

No call is that important that it can't wait till you can safely pull over to check it...yes I said safely ...... I have seen idiots launch themselves off into the breakdown lane without proper indication to answer a call, this is nearly as dangerous as driving and talking on the phone...they have it half right.

When i see someone with a phone stuck on the side of their head i really want to change lanes on them or do something to show them how selfish and irresponsible they are being. I don't of course because it would be irresponsible of me to do so.

Now if we could just get the police to enforce the law...A month or so ago I sat waiting for my daughter to come out of school and out of about 70 or so cars I counted about 10 drivers chatting away merrily on their phone while they sailed on thru a school zone......some of these idiots had children of their own on board..
AnswerID: 245149

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 16:43

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 16:43
Willem
Being a truckie for many years it became like sort of part of the job to be using the Mike, changing gears, steering, and smoking a fag,( i did smoke once) . We needed 4 arms at time but never do you lose concentration , I don't know the reason why . I did find that before I got hands free It was not like talking on CB , one does tend to put all means of concentration to the phone and the body becomes like a zombie, We have all seen the P plater or city driver wandering about, stalling at lights, driving slower than usual and they don'r realise it, But the most idiotic thing I see when people yap on a mobile and when not driving is the way they wander all over the place , i mean they ....just walk...anywhere, in circles, pace up and down ...JUST LIKE BLOODY ZOMBIES, why can't they just stand still or sit down , got me buggered/

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 245159

Reply By: warfer69 - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 17:14
*was that when you hold a phone to one ear, your sub-conscious diverts your attention to that side of your body*

Dont wives have the same effect ???????
AnswerID: 245168

Reply By: obee - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 18:04

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 18:04
Perhaps I am a bit dyslexic or something but I find that talking to passengers is a big distraction. The subconscience takes over and I find myself going the wrong way. Good thing I have a passenger to tell me I am going the wrong way.

lol

Owen
AnswerID: 245181

Reply By: Member - Axle - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 20:09
Willem!!, I can't believe such a technical man as your self, ( re. puters etc.) is not wearing a:" Blue Tooth" ear piece!. Update ol fella, they are brilliant!. Except you look a bit like DR.Spock, and also some might think your barracking for the other side!, ......LOL

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 245215

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 21:43

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 21:43
Bluetooth???? All I have are some shop teeth...lol

Technical..hahahahaha...yerr joking,what?

Mate I live in the sticks. Not sure about Dr Spock but Mister Spock was OK.

Cheers(and watch where you put that backhoe blade)
FollowupID: 506321

Reply By: PeteS - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 21:52

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2007 at 21:52
Willem
Q1: What is the difference between talking on a Hands Free phone and talking to your passengers in the vehicle? You get just as distracted!
A1: A least you can hang up on the caller, harder to do that with the passenger's conversation ;-)

Q2: What is the difference between talking on a mobile phone and talking on a UHF or HF Radio? You get just as distracted!!
A2: The cost of the mobile call as to the free UHF/HF conversation.

PeteS
AnswerID: 245257

Sponsored Links