Electronic Rust Protection

Okay here's the drill. There's been a little bit of small talk about rust protection of late. I'm contemplating either the ERPS or Counteract systems and wish to research before purchasing either one or the other.

Can I have your opinions/experiences on either or both please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: limo4b - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 16:50

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 16:50
My friend has the ERPS, expensive, but so is panelwork.
Jury is out but looks like it works on that bolt head. Normally they go brown in a few hrs after water contacts them, this bolt is still shiney.
Andrew Wollongong
AnswerID: 18830

Reply By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 17:21

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 17:21
Have had the ERPS since vehicle was new 97 ,spend 1 week in 4 on beach,, will bet $1000.00 vehicle has NIL rust.
AnswerID: 18832

Reply By: crowe - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 09:48

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 09:48
Allyn,

I have the counteract system and has been in use over a year now. I was assured that counteract would prevent rust and stop any existing rust. There were a few bubbles along roof sill on GQ trayback. About six months after install this rust broke the paintwork and spread rapidly. I took it back to the installer and asked what the problem was. They were immediately on the backfoot wanting to replace the unit but not willing to help with rust repairs.

Their claim was that i did not have a good enough voltage in the battery to run the unit even though the truck was driven everday for 50kms, with plenty of charge in the battery for starting, running fluro's, etc.

The minimum standing voltage required to run these units is somewhere between 12.4 and 12.5 volts. When the voltage drops below this the unit still appears to run with light working and audible high pitch noise but apparently this was not doing the job, i needed more than 12.4 volts. Albiet my battery was perhaps a little tired but one would be none the wiser when it starts your 4WD everday and does all the other things you need it to do, if only they had told me when i purchased it.

Since replaced the battery with overlander and fixed the rust (own pocket) so will have to wait and see. Overall, i think the unit does work but somebody was telling me a few fairy stories in there somewhere.

Something to keep in mind when you buy your unit, somes mates swear by the counteract, maybe they are running better voltages than me, who knows.
AnswerID: 18883

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 12:18

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 12:18
Crowe
I've read somewhere lately that the Counteract unit is inferior to ERPS although to me they seem quite similar.
Your first hand experiences , while not good for you, have at least highlighted a problem that I and other readers/contributors may not have been aware of and it's good that you've shared this with us.
Thanks to you and the others for the info and I shall definitely take it all on board when making my decision.
Cheers
FollowupID: 11823

Follow Up By: crowe - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 13:47

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 13:47
When i purchased the counteract i wasnot aware of the ERPS and had heard good reports about the counteract, market research slackness may have got the better of me. I would still quizz the sellers of ERPS what minimum standing voltage they need to run properly. Counteract calim they have the patent that no other system can use and make a great deal about other inferior products. Be interesting to find out how similiar the two systems really are.

cheers
FollowupID: 11829

Reply By: djm67 - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 11:46

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 11:46
Just put the ERPS system on a 96 Rodeo, too new to give you an idea if it works, but the price for a unit to suit my dual cab was only $405 (that is self fitted, took about an hour)

If it works at all that is a cheap alternative to panel work.
AnswerID: 18888

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 19:50

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 19:50
Do a search..... there's been heaps in this forum. I am still waiting for the theory [which seems okay], to be proved in practice. My B.S. antennae is telling me to be very doubtful about them. Anyone who believes in them and has paid out the money will notice how well they work of course! Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 18922

Reply By: Damian M - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:27

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:27
THEY DON'T WORK.....

Think about it. If they did work, The Military would be using them all over the place. Ships and Boats would no longer need Sacrificial Anodes and So Forth....

As far as the ERPS go, There is no contact with the Vehicles Metallic Parts. They have Pads which stick on in places and hook up to a Little Box with a couple of LEDs and inside the box isan Invertor that supplies about 350volts. I want to know how that stops rust??

The CounterAct however does make contact with the Vehicle and calls this Capacitance.. That's news to me...

I'm sorry folkes. I'm seen so many vehicles with ERPS and CounterActs (Not to mention other brands) and I still see rust forming on their vehicles.
In case of the ERPS unit, We fitted one on the Border of NSW and QLD. The vehicle started to form rust in some places. The customer Jumped up & down (I would too) and asked for the rust to be fixed as per the Gaurentee which states that the Vehicle will be fixed.
Well, What do you think happened? The manufacturer came up with all sorts of excuses why the rust happened. The Excuses ranged from Paintwork not done right (This was a new Vehicle) to the elctrical system being faulty to We didn't fit it right or we didn't use enough Pads etc..

Like I said, If these things worked, The military, Shipbuilders, Spaceships, would all use a unit like these...Don't you think?

Sorry for the blunt post but I'm getting sick of seeing people ripped off by these products....Let's face it. I would take about $20.00 at the most to make one of these things and people are paying up to $600.00 or more for these things...

Regards to all and stop getting ripped off...
Damian.
AnswerID: 18940

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 22:04

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 22:04
I have to almost agree with you there Damian.
I got 4wd 18mths ago and seen these things.To date I have not installed one due to the fact I have not seen nor heard any solid proof that warrants spending $600.

Another 5 years or so and maybe we'll have real solid proof either way if they work or not.

Easter fun down Nannup!!
FollowupID: 11876

Follow Up By: joc45 - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 22:38

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 22:38
Hi Damien,
I'm also a skeptic, having been in electronics for 40 years, and been involved in cathodic protection of subterranean steel chambers on one major project.
One common thread on marine and subterranean vessels and hot water systems is that the zinc anode has electrolytic contact with ALL exposed areas of the vessel.
I don't see this happening in these vehicle protection systems, so I'm a bit perplexed.
Can you make base, I'm curious on the technicalities of these systems, and email will be easier than this forum.
gerron@bigpond.net.au
thks Gerry
FollowupID: 11879

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 10:51

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 10:51
ASK THE ICE CREAM SELLER AT THECHERRY VENTURE SHIP WRECK,, all day every day on the beach,,southport surf life saving vehicles,,broadbeach,,currummbin,noosa,ect,ect,, ask their vehicle maintenance officers ,and their treasurers,,ERPS works and saves them big $$$$$$ in rust repair and vehicle replacement..
FollowupID: 11899

Reply By: Darrin - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 14:01

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 14:01
Allyn,
I have an ERPS unit for sale. Brand new with warranty Send an Email with details and I will get back to you. lisadarrin@hotmail.com
I firmly believe that these units work I have them fitted to our two cars and the household fridge which was rusting away until the ERPS was fitted.
check out www.erps.com.au
AnswerID: 18974

Reply By: Allan - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 05:16

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 05:16
Allyn
Seems to me that you don't have enough to keep you occupied at work. Just stay off the tidal flats round Port Hedland and the dry Pilbara climate shouldn,t do you car too much harm, or, If you do find they work then we should have a whip around and buy Struth one for his new Jeep.
Allan
AnswerID: 19026

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 18:42

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 18:42
Allyn, I spoke to a friend who is an engineer in the field of metalurgy, specializing the area of corrosion. He tells me that protecting metal from corrosion by electolisys has been used widely for many years in industry, but only works when the whole thing veing protected is completely immersed in water. Aparently that is the only way you can guarantee a complete (water tight if you like) circuit which is required for the thing to work. Thus this method is highly successful in maintaing the integrity of underwater equipment. My source says that while a vehicle is immersed in water it should work, but as soon as it dries out the system will simply stop working. It is for this reason that the sacrificial anode on outboard motors is located below the water line and not somewhere else on the unit. Perhaps you could get some advice from a metalurgist just in case my source has misunderstood the facts.
Happy camping!
Good luck
AnswerID: 20128

Sponsored Links