L/Range tank - Jackaroo

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 12:03
ThreadID: 4677 Views:4770 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Any thoughts/comments?
I am contemplating install a long range tank in my 2002 petrol Jack.
Help required.
1. Local suppliers Brisbane or mail order I guess.
2. Can I fit it myself? Any certification required?
3. Good/Bad feedback.

RegardsWim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 12:54

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 12:54
wim
dont know about certification in brisibut fitting one your self is not to hard dependant on how technical you want it to be i have fitted several to my cars the hardest part has always been the filler opening ,lets face it on 2002 jack you would not want it looking cheap or crapy
as to the tank simplest method is to get a tank from the wreckers that will fit where you want it bolt it on run the out let pipe to your in let of your main tank place an electric pump in the line, pump from extra tank to main tank,down side of this set up is remembering if extra tank is full also electric pumps can be a problem ,up side you could do the whole job for around $200 & take at the most one day dependant on how good ajob you want of the filler inlet having said all that being a new car having one fitted profesionaly will probably be beter at resale time
jm2cw
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 18891

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 12:56

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 12:56
Wim
the other down side is it takes time to pump from one tank to the other
FollowupID: 11826

Reply By: Member - Darian - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 13:34

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 13:34
Wim...I have the TD Jack but opted to carry extra fuel in jerries on the camper trailer sides, to spread the load across 6 tyres - those stones can be a real bugger. Can see your need though, if the Jack is solo. I have had personal contact with an SA owner who had a tank installed here, and then had mayhem in the outback. Crap in this BRAND NEW tank got loose on the rough roads I expect, then into the vitals, en route. Pump and filter mayhem. Guess if you buy mainstream, and get right into the subject with the supplier, you should be safe enough.Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
AnswerID: 18892

Reply By: yarda - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 14:28

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 14:28
I have a 98 v6 jackeroo, and used to work for Holden at a country dealers, we did a lot of work for the Vic Police in the high country who loved their Jacks and were replacing their Landys with them. Anyway the Police had long range tanks fitted, i think they were from out of town 4wd, with a capacity of around 130L including filler neck, they certainly handled the punisment , but they do affect rear approach angle and clearance ( the undersides of the tanks bore many scrapes).

Because they are an enginered and tested product , i don't think you will need an engineers report , but the QLD DOT. can be picky, and it would pay to check with your insurance company re- notification of vehicle modification.
If you are handy with the tools, it shouldnt be a problem to do the job yourself.
Good luck. Brad
AnswerID: 18893

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 15:59

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 15:59
Have seen clearance problems with the long range tank fitted also, even after adding 50mm lift to rear. other option is to fit second tank with "Y" neck filler & transfer pump, one company makes a kit with sender for aux tank so you can switch your dash gauge over, extra cost to start with, but you can do nice tricks like filter the fuel from your Aux tank into the main, the ground clearance look good with it fitted also.

Don't remember who makes them...
FollowupID: 11836

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 19:05

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 19:05
I have spent Easter mounting my 150l tank under the back of the Supa Trupa..... can't wait to fill in Melbourne and drive in Gippsland for 14.5cents a litre cheaper [diesel]!

Anybody got suggestions for a fuel pump... capacity, brand.... features?

I'll have a switch on the dash to flick when the front tank is low.

Next question..... can you get after market.... separate fuel guages... I haven't checked yet.

AND.... another question. The tank is from a landcruiser. It's got four little pipes which come together into a plastic reservoir and then out via one pipe to the 'engine'. I'm guessing that these are venting or breather tubes and could probably be vented to the open air. Any ideas or dire warnings?Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 18916

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 16:30

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 16:30
Royce,

A solenoid would be more simple than a transfer pump. The early 75's had one when 2x90L tanks were fitted, then "they " woke up and fitted 2 solenoids, to cater for the bypass fuel as well. Early models would overflow the front tank if you used the rear tank first, but it was easy enough to live with, by using about half the front tank first.

There are some after market solenoids about, had one on a TJM aux. tank we fitted to a 60 series some years ago. It only played up once, probably because didn't have a filter on line from aux tank to solenoid.

Our 80 series has a 166L replacement tank, and it works well, with just the standard 2 sloenoid setup. Not sure about the 4 pipe thingy, would have to go and check. Hooroo...
FollowupID: 11965

Reply By: Chris - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 19:25

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 19:25
wim

I fitted a replacement 130 l tank from 4wdsystems about 3 mnths ago. Here are my experiences

*2001 TD Jack
*fitting was easy, but it is a 2man job
*allow 1/2 day
*simply disconnect hoses & filler from old tank, fix to new
*tank should NOT rattle loose if fixed correctly (use locktite)
*have done bad corrugated roads since - no problem
*departure angle affected, but not much if you have a towbar which already affected departure angle
*notwithstanding above, the Jack's departure angle is pretty good to start with, you would be hung up on your transfer case not departure angle
*IMPORTANT clean tank beforehand to get rid of metal chavings. Drain after 1 tank of use, and replace fuel filter.
*about $650 to $700 from memory
* an aux tank is much more expensive (+$1200) but does bring the weight forward

Hope this helps

Chris
AnswerID: 18919

Follow Up By: Wim - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 07:06

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 07:06
Thanks for the heads up every body.
More to think about now.

RegardsWim
FollowupID: 11887

Follow Up By: Savvas - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 15:38

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 15:38
Hi Chris,

That's some good feedback on the 4WD systems tank. I was considering one for my Jackaroo as they look like good value.

How do you clean it out before use?

Cheers,
Savvas
FollowupID: 11920

Follow Up By: Chris - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 20:31

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 20:31
Savvas

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a while.

The tank has a magnet in the drain tank. I simply filled with a few litres of diesel, taped the openings, and rolled the tank around on the lawn. There were a lot of metal shavings collected on the magnet. That was why I again drained the tank after some use, again finding more metal shavings. Replaced my fuel filter after the first tank also.

Note also that they advertise the tank as 130 l, but I could fill only 128 l after draining. Of this I reckon 3 or 4 litres are unusable due to pickup, leaving 124 - 125 usable litres.

Some other tanks (OL) advertise 135 litre tanks.

Regards

Chris
FollowupID: 12196

Reply By: Member - Richard- Monday, May 05, 2003 at 09:28

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 09:28
I used Out of Town 4WD at Newcastle, NSW for my Holden Frontera. (I think there standards rang of tanks are called Long Rangers. They should be able to give you a dealer in Brisbane. Exellent product and service. They had to make the 80 lt tank as a one off, (not off the shelf) and luckily they had made one before so they had a pattern. The extra tank put my total capacity up to 160 lts. If the Jackaroo is like the Frontera there is a ready made space at the rear where a tank would normally be fitted but are not permitted to be in America. The tank installation on the Frontera, because of the latter, appeared to be simple but I left it up to Out of Town to fit. The fuel transfer is by electric pump from auxilary tank to original. This is controlled by a switch on the dash. The fuel flow is about 2 Lt per min which appears slow but as it does it whilst you are driving along it is not a problem. The original fuel gauge has been wired so that by the flick of a switch I can tell how much fuel there is in each tank. Filling the tank is just a matter of keep going when filling the car. There is a Y connection to the new tank in the original filler line. The tank does not effect my departure angle or reduce ground clearance. I hope this helps you.

Regards
AnswerID: 19145

Reply By: pat - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 19:55

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 19:55
I am a little late on reading these replys to the aux tanks to jackaroos.

Our current jackaroo is a 1994 v6 petrol thathas had an aftermarket tank professionally fitted already on purchase.

It is a 2nd tank fitted in front of the existing original tank,(in front of the rear axle)
and has a seperate filler located beside the original under the original fuel flap.
and a switch that turns on an electic fuel pump that feeds into the original fuel suuply to the engine . This switch also control the sender units in either tank so the fuel gauge reads either tank depending on which one is used.

There is some discussion on dirt and rubbish in tanks, we have not had this problem as we have been advised by several friends who have vehicles with dual tanks that there must be fuel filters in line, to be inspected regularly, and that BOTH tanks must be used all the time. We switch from one tank to the other nearly every time we fuel up. We also wait to the tank/tanks depending on what we are doing are well down before refuelling as this may prevent fuel going off if left to lie in the tank for lentgh of time. Problems apparently occur if one of the tanks is left unused even for a short time with condensation etc and seized/jammed fuel pumps and switches more from lack of use than anything else.
AnswerID: 21576

Sponsored Links