New Jeep

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 20:56
ThreadID: 4685 Views:2200 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I get to test drive quite a few new vehicles up here and rarely find one that surprises me. I test drove the new Grand Cherokee Jeep this week which runs the Mercedes Benz 2.7 lt 5 cylinder diesel and auto trans. This vehicle goes extremely well and is about $25k cheaper than the Merc 4x4 running the same running gear. I have never been a fan of US iron before having seen many Suburbans and Hummers self destruct up here. Hopefully the body and suspensionin on this jeep are as well put together as the engine\trans. Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:43

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:43
Interesting to hear that the Hummers self destruct up there - how the hell would they fit down some of the tracks like the OTL - would think the width of these would result in them getting stuck at Gunshot etc - how do they go and where do they fail generally.
I like the Toyota stuff mainly because they seem to hold together a bit better than many other vehicles - corrugations soon make a new car rattle and the Toyota's seem to rattle less with constant rough stuff and corrugations - judged on performance of similiar styled vehicles of different makes over 50 000 Km - gov't vehicles.
Been in a couple of Jeeps but know nothing about them long term - comfortable to drive in though. Maybe Jeep could make a ute and give it to me & I'll put a fire unit on the back & test it being pushed along rough fire trails full of water - that will test the American Iron. I suppose running for 50 000Km up to Bamaga and back from Cairns would too.
Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 18943

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 19:17

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 19:17
I had a 1997 model jeep cherokee with the 2.5 VM turbo diesel, 8.5 l/100 klm with the A/c on cruising at 110 klm/h it would pull 5th Gear over the Mountains all day! was a blood teriffic car. used at worst off road 12l/100 off road with a heap of gear in it, after pounding it over 150,000 klm of outback roads, off roading & towing it didn't have a single dash rattleor squeak! biggest problem was I needed a bigger car to carry gear for work, otherwise I would still own it.

a few Million americans bought them! belived to be the only reason Chysler din't go broke.

long term:- galvanised body, over engineered drive line (DANA DIFFS etc.)
simple suspension that works
most of it is really basic design. the Police forces use them in both 4WD & 2WD versions, they don't sell diesel ones in the USA because petrol is really cheap! they had a 2.5 L petrol 4 in them as the poverty pack instead!
FollowupID: 12005

Reply By: Steve - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 00:04

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 00:04
Rob : plenty Jeeps down here especially the late model V8 units , my neighbour has one .. it's got all the usual Jeep probs.. We also have Hummers,.. and Suburban's which seem to be used by painting contractors as their prefered mode of carrying ladders and paint etc.. really, they are pretty spacious . Up your way imagine the Toyos are the way to go but can only speak as a blow in from the city who couldn't hire anything else and ended up buying one!
AnswerID: 18948

Reply By: herkman - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 07:21

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 07:21
Well as a person who owned a ML270 for 41.000 kms I would like to say.

As a tow car it is without equal, lots of grunt, and fuel economy which is without equal.

As an off roader it too will perform well, but the tyres would need to be changed, and take their shovel mudflaps off. In sand they have no equal, but I also suspect that off road the shockers would be their weekness.

Now the Grand Cherokee, is actually speced a little better than the ML, and the price as you say is much lower. What is more important you do not have the six month wait for delivery.

The engine and transmission are straight MB, but from the transfer case onwards it is all JEEP. Wheels on JEEP have gone to 17", which again will reduce range of tyres, until tyre companies understand, that the latest Prados are running them too.

I honestly do not know if the latest JEEP is a good car or not, I note that they do not hold their value well.

We in the future will see more input from MB, into the other makes of cars they now own.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 18951

Reply By: StephenF - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 09:35

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 09:35
It's ironic that the M-Class Mercedes is built in the USA while the Jeep is built in Austria!

Stephen.
AnswerID: 18954

Reply By: herkman - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 20:40

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 20:40
In actual fact, the ML270 used to be built in the same plant as Jeep in Austria.

However when MB opened their big plant down in the South of USA, they moved the ML270 to there too.

What is not commonly known, is that MB produce a ML400, which is a V8 diesel, but we will not see it here, because it can be only made in LHD.

BMW have either or are about to, move their X5 diesel into the same factory in Austria.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 19007

Follow Up By: Bruce - cycadcenter - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 01:50

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 01:50
Its interesting that Mercedes/Jeep are not selling any diesel cars/4wd in the USA.
FollowupID: 11945

Reply By: herkman - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 06:48

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 06:48
What you say is correct, for current models.

However MBUSA have indicated that they will release the E series with the diesel engine later this year.

Their official stance was the fuel until now, was not good enough.

However many people suspect they would have trouble in selling the ML350, which of course is petrol, if the 270 was available.

Reminds me of a story given to me to a friend who works at Toyota.

Why cannot I have a Prado diesel, equiped to top of the range petrol model. Answer is that Toyota were concerned if they brought them up to petrol model standards, that it would impact onto the petrol model sales.

I said to him, that maybe you should listen to the market, it is trying to tell you something.

I note that on the latest model, that there is now no difference in the two types of engines.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 19030

Sponsored Links