Trip so far

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 14:26
ThreadID: 47162 Views:2278 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello again,

Currently sitting in Quilpie, enjoying the blue skies and mild wind. Missing Innamincka already, was a fantastic stay. Darren Lehman appeared at the Innamincka Hotel last Thursday night for a XXXX Gold promo. Great bloke and James and he had a ball together. James beat him in a game of pool, before they teamed up in doubles and creamed the opposition...long night and sore head next morning for the packup and drive out to Coongie. Decided that as no fires were allowed at Coongie, we would camp near the Out station...what a beautiful site we had. Camped in the first cam site down next to the waterhole. Pelicans, ducks, cockatoos, rabbits, crows, kites and peace and quiet. Stayed three nights there, and took a drive out to Coongie for a look see and to watch the sunset. Stopped at the day site and went for a walk and to take some great snaps of the birds and the scenery, returned to the truck to find no power at all on ignition. Opened the bonnet to find the fusible link had snapped off. Quickly rigged up a new connection before heading of on the lake drive. Fantastic views and great drive out, only disappointment was to find the track was closed after the creek crossing. Found a nice tall dune to sit and watch the sunset before high tailing it back to camp.

Upon leaving Coongie and stopping at Innamincka for a well needed shower, we continued on across the border into QLD via the Adventure Way. SA side was very good, QLD side lots of bulldust holes, and I mean lots. A couple were very long and deep, and I lost sight of the camper a couple of times. Time was going so we decided to head to the Noccundra Hotel for the night. Being lazy, and James wanted a bed for the night, we grabbed a room before settling in front of the fire to relax. The meals were fantastic home style cooking, and the hospitality was fantastic...a place to stop at again. They also have powered sites and there is free camping across the road at the Wilson River waterhole. Showers and toilets are next to the pub, and are very clean.

Yesterday we drove to Quilpie via Erramonga and settled into the caravan park. Lots to see and do here, but only really takes a day or two. Lovely campfire in the caravan park, with amusing poetry last night and a dvd to be played tonight. Next stop Charleville for some population shock, before heading south on the two week trip home.

Cheers and will probably post the conclusion when I get home. Take care all and I am enjoying the weather, even if the wind is constant and sometimes a bit cold.

Chow!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 14:51

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 14:51
Glenn,
Sounds like you're having a much nicer time than on the Anne Beadell Hwy last year :-))
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 249467

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 17:46

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 17:46
Ahhh young fella...good to hear that you and tre younger fella are having a great time.

Take care

Cheers
AnswerID: 249488

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 17:57

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 17:57
In case you don't know, the bakery in C'ville opens early and is an ok place for an early morning cuppa and bone warming. It's just south of the old PO and west of Coronies old pub.
Nights are pretty chilly there also. I'll be there on Friday evening hopefully :)
AnswerID: 249494

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 18:27

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 18:27
Oh to be there with you Sir Glenn
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 249502

Reply By: RovingOz (QLD) - Friday, Jun 29, 2007 at 09:19

Friday, Jun 29, 2007 at 09:19
Glenn,

Are you still in the Quilpie CP?

We're here also. Look for the ExplorOz wheelcover on the Troopy beside the Phoenix?

What site no. are you on?

John

AnswerID: 249803

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 21:59

Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 21:59
On ya Mr.. as bonz said.. :( One day maybe I'll get the lap in.
AnswerID: 250104

Sponsored Links