Magellan 310 GPS Software Interface

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 10:09
ThreadID: 4717 Views:4866 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks:
I have just inherited a Magellan GPS310, which I acknowledge is a very basic unit. but it seems to be adequate for my purposes, as I still prefer using printed maps (call me old fashioned, but ....).
My question is (if I decide to spring headling into the 21st century), will this particular unit hook up to a laptop and allow me to use it in conjuction with the Oziexplore Software and the CD-ROM based maps? There is the facility to connect this unit to a computer, however the books etc give little indication as to what you do once you have hooked it up. Yes, I am still learing this stuff.
Many thanks.
Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wim - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 11:19

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 11:19
Jack.
Try www.globalpos.com.au/store/ezimercpro/Build2035/category688_1.htm

Plenty of info on your GPS.

Regards.Wim
AnswerID: 19085

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 16:43

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 16:43
Jack,

I would download the trial version of Oziexplorer and have a play around. The 310 is not in the Oziexplorer help file as a Compatible receiver, but it should work when you select "Other Magellans" from the configuration window. It may also work if you can select on the Magellan 310 to output a NMEA string (a generic navigation data string that most GPS receivers can output). Oziexplorer can read this string to plot your position, which mostly is all you use in Oziexplorer for when on the move. You may not be able to upload waypoints you have created in Oziexplorer to the Magellan... let us know how you go if you have a play around with it.

Cut and Paste from the Oziexplorer help:

Magellan Compatible units:

2000XL, 3000XL, 4000XL - early versions of these models do not have PC support so are not supported.
GPS Tracker
ColorTrak
Map 410
NAV 6000
Other models may not be supported fully

1. Go to the GPS tab on the Configuration dialog

2. Using GPS Make combo box select Magellan

3. Using the GPS Model combo box select the model from the list. If your model is not on the list select the model as Other Magellans.

4. Using the GPS Symbol Set combo box select the Symbol set to match the symbols in your GPS. If unsure leave it as it is as the most likely symbol set has already been selected.

5. Adjust the GPS Parameters to match the specification of your model of GPS. These parameters may be mentioned in the manual. If unsure leave them as they are as the most likely set of parameters has already been selected. Magellan GPS receivers do not have Events (one of the parameters), this can be set to 500 so they can be used as markers on the map.

6. Set the GPS Upload/Download Datum to WGS 84 (always)

7. The GPS NMEA Output Datum needs be checked, some models output in WGS84 and others such as the 315/320 output in the Datum the GPS is set to. This can be checked by putting the GPS into simulator mode, setting up moving map in OziExplorer, and by changing the GPS datum see if the position readout on the status line changes, the GPS NMEA datum setting in OziExplorer can be set to WGS 84 for this test. If the positions change as the GPS datum is changed then the GPS NMEA Datum setting in OziExplorer needs to be set to match the Datum setting of the GPS.

8. Goto the Comms tab on the Configuration dialog.

9. Select the Comm Port Number to match the one you are using on the PC

10. Parity to none

11. Set the Upload/Download Baud rate to match the setting you have in your GPS. Note : Do NOT use a Baud rate of greater than 9600 - see Special Instructions below.

12. The NMEA Baud rate must be set the same as the Upload/Download Baud Rate.

13. Do not alter the Advanced setting or AutoPilot unless required. Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 19098

Follow Up By: GOB vic - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 17:55

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 17:55
wazza that s
the most help in my terms i have seen so far as i am also trying to set up a moving map with a 310 another site to check was www.gpsoz.com.au it had a bit of info i got this from an earlier post which jack may also check oout .my problem is 9 pin lead from gps 15 pin female on toshiba laptop have to get a compatible adapter or gpsoz have serial to usb adapters which maybe easier
steve89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
FollowupID: 11995

Follow Up By: Jack - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 19:12

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 19:12
Hi Wazza:
Thanks heaps .. that is really useful info. Greatly appreciate the effort you put into that. The GPS unit does have an NMEA output, so I am halfway there. I was aware that the 310 did not have a built in mapping capability, but as I got it free I was not about to complain, and I can learn and go up a notch later if I want to.

For GOB: My Toshiba has USB capability, so I may be OK in hooking it up. They sure know how to charge for cables though .. sheesh !!!!!!

Again, my thanks for your generous help and advice folks.

Jack
FollowupID: 12003

Follow Up By: Jack - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 22:14

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 22:14
It's me again .... sorry ..
I've been through the site and can't find the trial version of the software. Can you point me in the right direction? Many thanks ...
Jack
FollowupID: 12025

Reply By: wazza - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 10:32

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 10:32
http://www.oziexplorer.com/

and then click on OziExplorer on the left hand side of the page.

Scroll down to Trial Version (2.1 megs). It says no upload and download is available in the trial version, but I assume this is for the transferring of waypoints, etc and not general navigation communications.
AnswerID: 19157

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 11:33

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 11:33
Jack, just reading the above it looks like you will need a Magellan data cable ($99) and a USB to serial converter ($59) unless you have a serial port on your laptop. If you have access to a machine with a serial port it might be a good place to start with the trial oziexplorer download and get that working with your GPS before spending more money. Jack, moving map software is the way to go. Forget using paper maps. Once you have Oziexplorer up and running it will blow you away. We just did a biggish trip with plenty of backblocks tracks and knew exactly where we were at all times - even to the point of telling the vehicle in front when they were about to pass shotlines etc. We use a 315 but I am sure the 310 will work just as well. The only issue is mounting the laptop and viewing the screen. My solution was to use a 15 inch Samsung TFT display ($540) mounted on the dash, with the Tosh on the back seat.
AnswerID: 19163

Follow Up By: Jack - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 12:29

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 12:29
Hi Bob:
Just been out pricing the data cables ... yikes!!!! Still, that is the electronic age. The idea of the tft screen has a lot of merit though. I am going to ease myself through all this a bit at a time, but your advice is very helpful. There will come a time when I know I will probabay need to go to a more comprehensive GPS unit, but this will do me to start with. (Gonna miss the old paper maps .... lol).
Thanks again, I very much appreciate your help.
Jack
FollowupID: 12043

Sponsored Links