Cresent Head Beach Driving...

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2003 at 22:21
ThreadID: 4746 Views:2375 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This week we are going back to Cresent on our way to the Cape. My question is that we have always driven up the beach from Pt Macq car ferry but only ever with the 4WD.

This week we are also towing an Offroad Camper Trailer and, apart from the tide I would appreciate any other advice as to do the rules change dramatically???

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 19:11

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 19:11
Pual rules to what ?
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 19286

Follow Up By: haze - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 08:44

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 08:44
Eric. In this lovely state we have a mob called N.P.W.S. who make/change the rules as they go along. So now an area of coast which was extensively mined for minerals some years ago is recycled as "pristine" with mine dams being "naturally occurring" lakes, tracks blocked, and the big one, NO DOGS.
Paul, we were down there before Easter, and if you are not a pro. fisherman ripping the guts (the roe is the money part) out of the migrating mullet schools beach driving is a big no no. You are allowed on back beach, but only with a permit from Kempsey council. And it is PATROLLED! The drive from Port to Pt. Plommer is a bit sandy, but ok. From there to Crescent is now an area for "surfing adventure tours" - a bit like backpackers with the bus drivers being rejects from formula 1 (just watch the corners) Good rough camping at Delicate and Race course but it will cost you $7.00/person/night!
Hope this of some help, av a good trip, cheers, haze.
FollowupID: 12140

Follow Up By: kevin - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:44

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:44
I was thinking of camping up that way in a few weeks whats the best area to camp? Delicate or race course?
FollowupID: 12437

Reply By: haze - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 14:21

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 14:21
Kevin : on the assumption you are going up that way for the fishing my pick would be delicate nobby, and if you can pull beach worms there is a bank of really big ones about 200m. south of the rocks. Also not too bad a tailer beach. The camp area is also well sheltered from the south, where most of the wind comes in from this time of year. The best tailer/bream are at the very n. end of back beach, the road in is signed "beach" about 1km. s. of the last house in Crescent. My other pick for camping would also have to be delicate!! John at Curl rest. can give you a good update on hotspots, also serves up a top meal.
Have a good holiday, cheers, haze.
AnswerID: 19678

Sponsored Links