Turbo and non turbo patrol

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 09:22
ThreadID: 4754 Views:1898 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all

have tried to track info down, but thus far have had no luck. Is the 4.2L TD GU Patrol engine the same as the naturally aspirated 4.2L GU, but with a turbo bolted on, or is it a completely different engine? If not, is it worth settling for a N/A 4.2L GU and fitting an aftermarket turbo, given that I have found the availability of 2nd hand 4.2 TD GU's to be lower than the availability of N/A GU's.

cheers,
Sam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rors101 - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 09:34

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 09:34
Yes the same old bullet proof 30 year old oiler. Aparently they upgraded some main bearings on the factory turbo models to better cope with the extra output. But it was very solid to start with and yes very suitable for aftermarket turbo if the price is right. The 2003 version (same engine) now has an intercolloer as well albeit a small one and some electrickery to meet emmisions standards.
AnswerID: 19230

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 11:54

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 11:54
Yup as Rors says, why change perfection.....

If I was buying a GU 4.2 I would go NON turbo, and get an aftermarket one put on, $3000 adn they go better than standard Nissan Turbo's..

YMMV
AnswerID: 19244

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 11:56

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 11:56
ok
thanks lads

its pretty much what I had expected, just wanted to double check
now all i gotta do is find me one

hooroo
AnswerID: 19245

Reply By: Member - Martyn- Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 20:36

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 20:36
Sam,
There are some subtle diffrences as I found out when I rebuilt my standard 4.2 diesel when I put a Safari turbo on. The gudgeon pin diameter is bigger in the turbo engine, the top piston ring of the turbo is also reinforced there is also some stronger webbing in the internals of the block of the turbo. Are you taking the engine apart? Depending on the k's you want to have a close look at the cylinder head for cracks, and when you put the head back on used the thickest head gasket available. I also installed a thermocouple on the exhaust outlet of the turbo not the best place but it gves good indication, I don't run the gasses any hotter than 450 degrees C without changing down a cog. You can go higher but it very much depends on where you are reading the temp to be safe. Don't let anybody kid you about the radiator, with a three core with air con I found the engine ran hotter, I reverted back to the original 2 core radiator and it works a treat. If you have the big Nissan badge on the front grille this reduces air flow by 17% on it's own without extra lights, you need to remove it. Hope some of this helps. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 19292

Sponsored Links