Personal Websites

Submitted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 09:27
ThreadID: 4790 Views:2165 Replies:14 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
So who else has one? Just interested to see who else has one. Who else would like one? If you would like one similar to mine, or no frames email me if interested and lets talk..

Mine has changed a little over night to be
www.gqpatrol.com

Will change a little over the next weeks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 09:40

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 09:40
Hi Truckster
The site looks good, a good improvement. One annoying thing is the lack of right mouse which means I cannot open your links in a new. May I humble suggest that you make your links open in a new window. Are you heading up for the Outback Challenge.
Regards Raywanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
AnswerID: 19416

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 09:48

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 09:48
Hi Ray,

The no right click thing was a joke to start with, but it stayed, for some reason..

The open in new window thing, problem is people run software like popup killers to top new windows opening, so nothin would open... I'll try and get a script under a button on there to goback to previous page maybe.

Sadly, not heading to outback challange, but could be the last year for it apparently. Apparently they charge you a substancial fee to go see the event, bollox to that!
FollowupID: 12209

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 09:51

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 09:51
Ray

If you hold down shift whilst clicking on the link, it will open it in a new window. This is in Internet Explorer. Unsure if Netscape behaves in this manner.

cheers,
Sam.

FollowupID: 12210

Reply By: crfan - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:15

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:15
Hi Truckster.
How much does it cost to run a web page ?
Do you do all the work on it your self or do you need a computor guru to fix it up.
how do you fund it ?
sorry for been blunt but am interested how people have pages on the net with no advertising on them and wonder how they pay for them.
AnswerID: 19417

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:53

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:53
Personal sites, my host charges $50 a yr, or you can use your own ISP account like optusnet.com.au etc wihch are free.

I didnt use my optusnet account as its a PITA when you change ISP's which Ive done several times over the yrs!

the .com domain name is ~$50($25us)
$15 /yr for org.au (need to be an incorporated body)
$30 Yr for .com.au (need an ABN)

I do all the work myself using Notepad in Windows...
You can get pages done for around $300 thats images scanned in and uploaded, and around 5 pages.. Frames or no frames.

Funding, $100 aint all that bad! I dont want to get commercial, but I would like freebies :-D
FollowupID: 12212

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:37

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:37
Gday Truckster
you seem to know a bit about this computor bleep ,so i have question for you i noticed in your web site which is cool by the way that you have used frames a lot ,when i was building my site the web guys who kept trying to sell me web sites at megger $$$$ would religously tell me my site was crap & the fact that i used frames in it would stop the spiders from crawling through the site , so my qestion to you is do you know if this true or just bs to suck you into spending big$$$$ on their web design

Regards bruce
AnswerID: 19422

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:57

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:57
Its upto you. what do you like is the way I look at it!

Depends on what you want with the site. Im not worried about search engines so I may be different..

There are 10000000's of commercial sites out there with frames, and they come up in search engines quite fine! PHP is the latest thing but its not simple...

Other option is you can use a table like this site, left and top frames, gives the effect of frames. Gets complicated with sub tables etc etc

Im actually going to mates to learn Cold Fusion and some tricky shiat this weekend if I can get parole from woman..
FollowupID: 12213

Follow Up By: Bruce from Budget Signs - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 11:06

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 11:06
when it comes to this box of buttons im lost so its interesting to hear from diferant people as i know nothing about code writing if it wasnt for front page iwould still be working on the damded web site thanks for the info
Regards bruceBudget Signs
FollowupID: 12215

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 11:48

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 11:48
Hi Truckster & others,

I've been working on a website for months now as time permits. About 70% completed. People keep asking me to publish it NOW but I'm reluctant to do so until it's substantially finished. My problem is that I'm a perfectionist so the whole thing has gotten bigger than Ben Hur!

I've been using Microsoft FrontPage which is excellent. Once you've completed the tutorial any computer mug can create a half decent website. Hosting will be with Bigpond who provide 10MB of space as part of my internet access plan, so no extra costs. 10MB is heaps for the majority of personal websites.

Only thing I'm not happy with is my header. The ones supplied with FrontPage don't grab me and I'd like to design one that has a few graphics fading/blending neatly into one another. Does anyone know how to do this?

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 19424

Follow Up By: Bruce from Budget Signs - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 15:45

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 15:45
G Day Malissa
just a tip i built my web page using frontpage & it is abit limited in its effects the other thing you need to watch out for is that many of isps dont host front page extensions ,es pecially the later version of front page so might be worth checking that you are able to upload big pond before you pay up
Regards
BruceBudget Signs
FollowupID: 12229

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 15:49

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 15:49
Thanks Bruce, already checked with Bigpond and shouldn't be a problem.

FollowupID: 12230

Follow Up By: Bruce from Budget Signs - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 19:05

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 19:05
Melissa
when you say fade / blend do youmeen as a dynamic effect where one set of words fade awy to be rplaced by anouther or where the letters them selfs are blended from one coluor to anouther ie dark blue to lite blue
Budget Signs
FollowupID: 12242

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:22

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:22
Hi Bruce,

I was referring mainly to picture graphics where two or more graphics lend inot each other. An example of this is at:
http://www.fishingtheterritory.com.au
On the LHS there is a logo layered on top of a background graphic. No problems so far, I can do this. What I can't figure out is how to seemlessly blend this "background" with the other graphics being the fish and the water. Or is this really only something the experts can do? BTW, I have Paint Shop Pro.

FollowupID: 12276

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:39

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:39
Melissa

you should be able to do it with PSP. You just need to use layers and fiddle with the transparency settings for each layer
ie you have the water as the base layer
then place the fish in a layer over the top of this. then you somehow need to set a mask over the area you need to change the transparency on.

Make sure you work in PSP's native file format to ensure full support for the layers. Once you are happy you can then flatten the image into a bitmap or jpeg or whatever format you wish to use.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 12279

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:47

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:47
Hi Sam,

Thought it was something like that. I had a play around with layers and transparency masks a while ago but I just couldn't seem to get it to work and gave up in the end because I wasn't sure if I was on the right track or not. I'm not trying to do anything too fancy...I have a great photo I want to use as a background then blend in a pic of our rig.

I'll have to give it another try.

FollowupID: 12281

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:58

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:58
Melissa

isnt that how most pages end up ? HUGE... Also remember to test it in different browsers of different versions, as you will find it wont work with some and others have problems to!

10 meg should be TONS! The thing to look at is if they have a thruput of data limit.

Frontpage, HATE IT.. Puts so much code in there that you dont need... Tried it once, my pages went 3 times the size in KB, and the site slowed down to a crawl.

Took me 2 weeks to fix it all again till I was happy, but was an excuse to do it.

I think people worry too much about it, like Lizard says hes worried its not very professional. WHO CARES DUDE! Its YOUR site, and its up there telling people about the world.

FollowupID: 12282

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:32

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:32
Hi Melissa,

I just managed to work out how to do it in Photoshop. PSP has the ability for basic work, but I dont think it can do it like Photoshop.

What I did was set up a document with 2 layers. Selected the top layer. Set Quick Mask mode on, used the lasso tool to creat the selection. I then used the gradient tool to creat a horizontal gradient on the selection. Then turned off the Quick mask mode and saved the selection to a new Channel named alpha. Then having the layer selected, i clicked on the Add Vector mask button at the bottom of the layer palette.

PSP seems to work with simple black or white alpha but I had trouble working out how to get it to work with a greyscale gradient. So if you can get PSP to run with a 256 Greyscale Alpha channel then you are laughing. This might be possible by using other greyscale images as the basis of the mask, but I am not sure.

Photoshop is definately easier for this job.

Anyhow, good luck

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 12292

Follow Up By: Bruce from Budget Signs - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:41

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:41
Malissa
looks like Problem solvered let us know when your site is up & running would love to Have look at it , i am almost inspired enough t a have anouther crack at my site it could do with some improvement
by the way its www.budgetsigns.biz for anybody thats interested comments &advise would be greatly apreciated
Regards BruceBudget Signs
FollowupID: 12294

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:13

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:13
Thanks Sam,

I'll try to get hold of Photoshop. I've spent hours in Paintshop trying to figure how to do what vou've done in an hour in Photoshop! I had the same problem you encountered in Painshop...black or white alpha. Couldn't seem to get greyscale gredient.

I'll let you know how I go.

FollowupID: 12298

Follow Up By: Bruce from Budget Signs - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 16:23

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 16:23
gday all i just tried it in photoexpress & if you spent the time to get it right you shuold be able to achieve it ,if you would like a loan of iphoto express let me know
Regards bruceBudget Signs
FollowupID: 12311

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 20:26

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 20:26
Melissa,

It seems that Paint Shop Pro 8 has the ability to handle a gradient mask. I have just been playing around with it and managed to achieve the desired effect you were after. Photoshop still seems to pull it off better though. But it looks like PSP8 has some nice improvements over 7. Still looking at all of them as I have only just got hold of it.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 14010

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:33

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:33
HiSam,

You're obviously having more luck than me. It's got me completely stuffed because despite spending hours on it I just can't seem to figure it out. I've been trying to get hold of Photoshop but with no luck. Just about decided to take Bruce (above) up on his offer for a loan of PhotoExpress.

FollowupID: 14152

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 12:18

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 12:18
Truckster,

how much disk space does your account include and also how much bandwidth per month traffic does it allow for? Also what features do you get? PHP, ASP? CGI? as I have been looking to do this for a while as the 10Mb limited hosting that Optus Cable give you is sort of limiting my learning and my ability.

cheers,
Sam
AnswerID: 19427

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 13:58

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 13:58
what is a frame?_____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 15:18

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 15:18
Voxson,

A frame is exactly as the name suggests. If you have a look at the link Truckster provided in the initial post of this thread to his web site.

You will see that the menu on the left hand side remains still (static) whilst you scroll up and down the right hand side.

This is allowable through the use of frames.

What you have is an underlying 'parent' document which contains the information for the layout of the page(s) you will actually see.

Each frame is a seperate web page (or 'child' page), but through the use of frames, multiple pages can effectively be viewed as one, allowing for such features as menu pages, header pages, footers etc. This allows some pages or frames to remain static (ie a Menu), whilst the "body" frame can be updated to contain information that reflects on a particular item on the menu page you clicked. (refer to Trucksters page - ie clicking on Contact Us in a menu would load contact details into the "body" frame).

hope I haven't confused you - best this is to look at Trucksters site.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 12228

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:44

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:44
Yea its as Sam said.

Look at my page, you see 2 1/2s...

The left is the list of things to click on EG the MENU(Frame 1)

Then a line down the page...

Then the right half with the info in it, EG the car with water Applet(Frame 2) When you click the words in Frame 1, they open in frame 2.

You can actually have as many frames as u like!, one on each side, and top and bottom, but I hate that as it doesnt leave much room for the information inside the center frame.
FollowupID: 12295

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 22:34

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 22:34
Where do you guys get all the time to do this mind bending goboldy-gook. I think I'll stick to working the GU over and fishing. You guys fix my box-o-bytes next time I need help and I'll supply the fish for the BBQ. I admire your skills, you must be much younger than me. When I first started work in a bank we had to add up all the ledgers using our brains, ther was not even an adding machine in the bank. I reacon your first toy must have been a computer.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 19456

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 12:48

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 12:48
If you want a page, I can do the code, you send me the info, and basics of what you want designed on a piece of paper, send me some $$ with it, and then I'll scan in the images, and also will burn them to CD for you, and upload the page...

You tell me where you want the site, or contact Steve he can host there, doesnt have to be a domain, can be http://cocka.offroad.au.com/ or for $$25us www.cocka.com if its not being used ;)~
FollowupID: 12287

Reply By: lizard - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 23:51

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 23:51
I have a site ... it is not very professional , but it does me - details 4 trips I have done ... I tried 'front page' and had trouble , ended up using 'cutesite' to upload it ....
cut & paste this into your address=

http://members.iinet.net.au/~boucaut/

I simply put it up on my providers site - I think they all provide space for this ......
AnswerID: 19462

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:44

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 11:44
Hi Lizard,

Checked out your web-site and enjoyed your trip journals. Next best thing to being on hols yourself is reading about someone elses adventures. Course, it doesn't help the itchy feet LOL.

Noticed you're in Pinjarra (I'm in Mandurah). I recently started a WA Campertrailer group and have quite a few members in our general vicintiy. Drop in and say hi if you like at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa_campertrailers

FollowupID: 12280

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 12:03

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 12:03
Lizard.

Dont put yourself down as its YOUR page, doesnt have to be microsoft.com to be impressive. Remember that.

Basic pages are quicker, and easier to navigate!

Look at some sites are they are crappy they are that packed with stuff and SLOW.. look at Spy V Spy my ALL TIME fav band, but their site is the pits...
FollowupID: 12285

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 18:20

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 18:20
shouldnt that be vspyvspy truckster.they were a good band wernt they.easter fun at jamison
FollowupID: 12330

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:06

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:06
Diamond, sort of.

They had to change their names in the 80s to just spy v spy, and they are still going. Ive over the years seen them 21 times in and around NSW!

They were touring up till Xmas and had a whole load of dates for Vic, but couldnt get venues. http://www.fadzter.com/smilies/censored.gif

I just ordered another AO TV Mod Ver CD as I wore out the original one!http://www.fadzter.com/smilies/buttrock.gif
FollowupID: 12347

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:07

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:07
Truckster (Vic) posted this followup

Diamond, sort of.

They had to change their names in the 80s to just spy v spy, and they are still going. Ive over the years seen them 21 times in and around NSW!

They were touring up till Xmas and had a whole load of dates for Vic, but couldnt get venues.

I just ordered another AO TV Mod Ver CD as I wore out the original one!
FollowupID: 12348

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:58

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:58
Lizard..
I checked out your web site tonight. Its cool. I love to read of others trips into the outback, as we are novices and our planned first "big" trip is at least two years away, it gives us great ideas when we read of trips by others!
My web site is just one week old at present.... built with FrontPage Express!! I may graduate to something better in the future but at present I am having fun with what I have got.
the address is
http://home.iprimus.com.au/chapples/ if you fancy taking a peek.
Cheers and keep up the stories!
Brian
FollowupID: 12780

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 07:50

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 07:50
I have 2 web sites www.4wdtraining.com www.cairns.net.au/~signs

Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 19474

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 12:09

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 12:09
Sam

www.ooa.com.au is my host, talk to Steve.
for all enquiries please email steven@ooa.com

500 mg space A few hundred mg a month traffic (it isn't capped, we have a chat if the bandwidth goes nuts) and i support PHP and CGI... Ifd you need more talk to him.. he owns a pretend 4b, a Prado ;)~

Free Monthly WebTrend Reports.. I didnt know you could get this sort of info on a page but my last one was 74 pages from who is looking at your page, what webbrowser they use version, where they came from to your page, HOW LONG they looked at each page, any errors they encountered.

AnswerID: 19496

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:34

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:34
beaut

thanks Truckster

will look into it

sounds like a pretty good deal

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 12293

Reply By: Peter - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:44

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:44
your site truckster and the others that have been volunteered are all interesting in their own way. some have heaps of info.some heaps of photos.and some have both. some look way flash and some and simple and easy. as you say. horses for courses. i enjoyed checking them all out. its reassuring to see i am not the only sick puppy out there travelling this big brown land. and most importantly making people shake their heads as i do. go the adventure spirit. as long as the car gets dirty and i have stories to tell the grand kids when i one day have them in the very very distant future then all is well in the world.
the way i figure it, if your into the outdoors and have a genuine interest in sharing your adventures and having others share theirs then as long as you get to see a few sites, cool.
on that note i offer my site for your viewing wonder and accompaning shaking of the said head.lol
http://au.geocities.com/ozrattler/peter_s.html
AnswerID: 19505

Reply By: Wizzy - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 16:58

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 16:58
Though not a 4WD site, my personal home page offers some information for people who tow caravans. There's info on rest areas, our latest trip and links.

http://home.worldoptions.com.au/damor

Am now looking to swapping our Westport for maybe a Coromal and 3litre turbo diesel intercooled Patrol. Would like the 4.2litre but I'm not sure whether the extra $8000 is really worth it for the slightly higher torque.

Cheers
Dennis
AnswerID: 19514

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 17:16

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 17:16
Dude, that $8000 is worth $20k in my opinion.. TD42s regularly get 500k klms... Theres not many 3.0's out there with that many klms, but theres problems with some..

YMMV, but the horror stories on the patrol list about towing with 3.0's I wouldnt wee on one. Take a look for yourself.

Theres a Database in progress from the 850+ users on the patrol list about problems with the Patrol series, it will be fully searchable the lot.

YMMV
FollowupID: 12315

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 01:35

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 01:35
Alright then... if you're going to pay someone else to do your website why not talk to us? We do lots of other sites than ExplorOz!

Priority + advertisers (those in the Business Search Engine with a logo) can actually have free hosting for a basic webpage (ie. single page site). The idea is to enable small business or those with no existing webpresence a cheap and effective way to get on the internet.

I also have a very cheap and effective graphic artist who can do any complicated Flash or animated graphics etc you need.ExplorOz
AnswerID: 19565

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 23:03

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 23:03
Michelle,

Not sure if I should ask here or via 'Contact Us', but what sort of rates would you charge?

Just looking at somewhere to put all my travel info for family and others to see - something very basic.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 12449

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 14:24

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 14:24
Glenn,
Never been asked to do a private site for anyone because of the cost involved. Most people who want a private site do it themselves - and spend heaps of time mucking around trying to work out what to do. I suppose if time is money to you then you might want to pay someone to do your site. We charge to cover our time and bill accordingly. We give you options for domain registration, hosting etc. We can offer free hosting for this sort of site.

Send me an email direct with specifics - concept, number of pages, images etc. The trickiest thing about not doing your own private site is you have to keep paying someone to update it. What we do for business customers is provide ftp access and we often build them a database front-end if they have shop products etc to maintain images, prices, descriptions etc so they don't have to know how to build webpages to change their own site on the fly. Guess you don't need that however...ExplorOz
FollowupID: 12553

Reply By: Member - Gary - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 20:28

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 20:28
Truckster - During 4 month trip across Oz (Simpson Desert, Gibson Desert, part of Gunbarrell etc) around WA and NT in 2001 I used my website to communicate the fantastic time I was having to my very envious family, friends and work colleagues.

Used Dreamweaver to design and uploaded via mobile from my laptop. It was a great success.

www.hotkey.net.au/~gcwright

Used a $70 Polaroid digital camera from Dick Smith for pics. Not pro quality but good for the site

GaryDead in the City - Alive in the Bush
AnswerID: 19626

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 02:22

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 02:22
Truckster thanks for the offer to put up a site in my name but I think it a bit ego to think the world would be interested in my life and stories. Besides its a bit rude to be spruking business on someone elses WWW when they are trying to make a living from doing exactly that. No offence meant.
Besides, any site that is not updated daily with what you had for dinner is pure self indulgence and boring. Your WWW is entertaining and I admire what you do on there, but I'd rather be fishing. Thanks anyhow. Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 19655

Sponsored Links