4WD Newbie

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2003 at 13:10
ThreadID: 4804 Views:2446 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I am interested in getting a 4WD but I am terribly confused about what to get. I know people are either nissan lovers or toyota lovers and there seems to me that there are only two good 4WD's. They are patrols or landcruisers. What about hilux? I have an 12week old baby girl so it seems to me I would need something in the family style vehicle.
I like the look of a Prado but it seems that they have so much electrics that they are too fancy for a 4WD.
Would a Mitsubishi Pajero or Holden Jackaroo be a good vehicle to have?
I would be looking to keep it for a long time and accept Maintenance will be part of it
As for power it would seem petrol is the way to go but diesel is more economical. This is the picture i am getting from this forum. Should I look out for rust or mechanical problems?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sparkie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:10

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 14:10
Any of the cars mentioned would do, why wouldnt a Patrol/LC be a good family car?

Prado seems ok, Jackaroo is good, but small, Paj seems to have a good following, ubt I hate the look

what is your budget?
AnswerID: 19504

Follow Up By: Sparkie - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:25

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:25
Thanks for the reply Truckster. My budget started at $6000, then $10000 and now is $15000. I think I thats all I will pay and save for the maintenance
FollowupID: 12304

Reply By: Kevin - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:01

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:01
If you are going to be doing some touring with some off roading youcan't go past the 3ltre Diesel Jackaroo or Prado. Both Vehicles return great fuel economy as well as very capable off roaders. Everyone I know (without exception) has had problems with Pajero gearboxes. I would not consider petrol in any of them as a diesel with a few k"s on it is going to be better than a petrol with a few k's on it!

I fall into the Nissan camp!

Kevin

AnswerID: 19507

Follow Up By: Sparkie - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:38

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:38
Thanks, Kevin. With the prado (I like the look of a Prado) would turbo be a good idea?
FollowupID: 12305

Follow Up By: Kevin - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:42

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:42
If your budget allows a Turbo would be ideal as give the deisel a little more grunt.
FollowupID: 12306

Reply By: Member - Karl - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:38

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:38
If you are on a limited bubget you could try one of the'grey import' vehicles such as the Toyota Surfs, Prados etc. Most are turbo diesels and are good value for the price you will pay. I know a lot of people will tell you horror stories about buying one of these vehicles but speak to some of the owners and I think you will get an honest answer rather than from someone who has a friend, who knows someone etc. It's a good past time but be warned it can be contagious and that base model that you buy wont stay that way too long.
AnswerID: 19509

Follow Up By: Sparkie - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 17:53

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 17:53
I have found a prado 1990 model with 2.4l turbo diesel with all the electrics for $15990.00 in Bundaberg. There seems to be a bit of fluid leaking out of the gearbox and the front diff. Not a good thing i think.
It belonged to a lady from hervey bay and it has a bleep battery. also it has spring coil suspension all round. Is that a good thing
FollowupID: 12325

Reply By: Rusty - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:40

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 15:40
Hi lux are good but you would need a dual cab. Any of the dual cabs don't have very much leg room in the back so depending on what you mean by long term I wouldn't advise buying one as a family car.

I also wouldn't buy a petrol anything mainly because of the amount of fuel they all use. But also you will notice that there seem to be an increasing amount of outback places not selling petrol anymore due to social problems in the town.

Then you have t decide what you actually want it for. This is where the arguments start as to one or the other. So instead of starting that again......hahahaha. I will finish by saying I have an 80 series Land cruiser.

Regards
Rusty
AnswerID: 19510

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 17:21

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 17:21
With a budget of only $15,000 prado will probaly be to dear, older 80 series or patrol would be better value, Look around & you will probably find a tidy FORD mavric ( re-badged PATROL) for your money with diesel engine or petrol, they get 4.2lt in bothpetrol & diesel. plenty of space, resonable all rounder.

Jackaroo is also a very reliable truck, our work has one with 420,000 klm on the clock with the original petrol engine & gearbox in it, all up has had brakes re-built, new timing chain, one clutch & a few wheel bearings not back considering the guys flogg it constanly. for it's age it's body is still in very good condition (1993 model).

holden rodeo duel cab has a very good turbo diesel motor that has plenty of go & good fuel economy to boot, you will se plenty of them around in your price range, add a canopy and you have a resonable wagon.

FollowupID: 12316

Follow Up By: Sparkie - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 18:10

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 18:10
I have also found an hilux 1991 model dual cab with extended back(stationwagon?) with a v6 petrol 3.0L motor with 109000 km on the clock but the engine bay is so full of motor there is no room for anything.
Other than that it very clean and I can not see any rust and there appears to be antirust agent leaking out of every weep hole down low so I am assuming that they treated sometime in the past. I suppose i need to know where to look. Any ideas?
As for the rodeos I haven't heard much about them on this site and am assuming they are not a favoured choice of this forum's patrons (no offence to rodeo owners who look on this site)
thanks for the reply Rusty and Old Jack
FollowupID: 12329

Reply By: Old Jack - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:11

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:11
Interesting the hilux never had the V6 until recently, i guess you are talking about a 4runner at 199x model.

reason you don't here much about the rodeo is that they are a Honest work vehcial, with few problems to speek of, had a 2WD 2.6 space cab & in 178,000 klm never let me down, they have a fully gal/zinc coated body so rust is not much of a problem, not as Jacked up in the Air as a hilux but they don't fall over as easy either, take a look around and you will see heaps used as work trucks.

you will see a lot of mobile plant Mechanics using then as work utes

they are made by a company that specilises in making trucks, & there utes are just as tough, they ride & handle better on & off the road.

if you are not interested in "hard core"(huge lift kits & massive tyres etc) off roading you probaly would be hard pressed to find a better duel cab ute.

AnswerID: 19525

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:05

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:05
Have a look at this web site www.fds.com.au/toyotasurf the Surfs are great cars - the problems you have with them is exactly the same as what the 4Runner and Hilux's get - so common problems - common parts in most cases. I have a newer Surf 97 model and have had no problems with it and I've been to Cape York and back - just put 100 000 on the clock. If the budget is around $15 000 should be able to get a 93- 95 model 3 L turbo diesel with 120 000 Km on it- probably auto(might find a manual), but these go really well. They have the electric windows and some other modern fancy stuff - same shape as 4Runner. Note that there are some early Prado models that have been imported also, not sure what parts are like for these but you don't see as many of these vehicles. Have fun searching.
PS. I believe Toyota to be stronger vehicles than other makes.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 19540

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 12:20

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 12:20
Perhaps you could list for our Newbi the common faults & problems these surfs/hilux HAVE, this is perhaps the sort of information He really needs to know.
In the one breath you say they have problem(all cars do it's just a fact of life) then say "PS. I believe Toyota to be stronger vehicles than other makes" this could sort of confuse any one new to this game.

We all see the ADDs on tv about the "unbreakeable" but the sad fact is they have problems just like other 4WD's.

one simple problem that springss to mind with surf/4runner & hilux are sagged springs in the rear, also bent chassis in the utes due to overloading, also you will seea lot of them crab walking allong the road due to axel alingment problems, all fixable of course, just a few things that happen to them.
FollowupID: 12465

Reply By: Brian - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 08:24

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 08:24
Sparkie,
I just went through the whole deal you're going through. First the decision to buy a 4by, then the homework on which 4by... fun isn't it?? I checked out the whole spectrum of 4X4's, read a lot of mags like Australian 4X4 monthly, Overlander etc... read lots of threads on this web site and others.. and spoke with people who "get-out-and-get-dirty"..... We are a family of four, and found that the mid-size wagons, Pajero, Prado etc, whilst nice cars were too small for our needs. We then looked at Patrols and 'Cruisers, and found that 'Cruisers were way too expensive for what we wanted. (On average $5-7K dearer than or 5-7 years older. Much looking led us to our Nissan Patrol, a 1995 DX, 185K's, 2" lift, air bags in rear coils, TJM aux tank, duel batteries, cargo barrier, air con and power steer at just under $17k on road with 12 months QVWN warranty. The bargains are out there and although the Patrol is "more of a truck, less like a car", it is quite comfortable, my 5 foot nothing bride is quite at home behind the wheel, and we can just about go anywhere in it!!! The large 4by's do make good family cars!!
Happy Looking and heres hoping that your bargain is just around the corner!
Brian
PS
Some pics are here at our web site, which is still mostly under construction, but have a look anyway
http://home.iprimus.com.au/chapple/

AnswerID: 20280

Sponsored Links