17 inch Prado wheels

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2003 at 23:01
ThreadID: 4819 Views:5324 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am, or at least was thinking about purchasing a new Prado TD. I made enquiries about tyres for the 17inch rims and found them to be quite expensive and scarce. I live in outback WA where they are simply not available. I suppose the answer for me is quite simple - don't get a Prado until these tyres are more common. I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this topic.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 23:42

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 23:42
you can fit GXL 80 series 16 inch rims to it.

Personally, i would wait for better and more tires to become available.

AnswerID: 19554

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 01:18

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 01:18
Hi Albyw
As Truckster has said 80 series will fit (maybe just a tad of grinding required ) check out Yahoo /Groups /Prado

Cheers
BerniePrado TD Auto
AnswerID: 19562

Reply By: herkman - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:04

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:04
The problem as I see it, has been started by USA designed "soft roaders"
where the trend appears to be bigger wheels.

In the case of the ML series, the problem is agravated by the fact that from 2002 models onwards, bigger brakes were fitted and you cannot go backwards. Jeep then followed on the Grande Cherokee, and again I believe you cannot go backwards.

Now Toyota have me scratching my head, because unlike the Yanks, they are supposed to spend lots of time here, testing, talking with owners. On our ML270, we really did not have much choice, Pirelli, Grandtrecks, Continental or General. None of these tyres could be clasified as off road tyres, and had stupid prices. In our case as we towed and did not go off road, we were going to use Bridgestone.

The real problem is the various manufacturers, do not talk to the tyre companies, and vice versa. Perhaps I could excuse MB and Jeep, but not Toyota. I have never seen a Toyota 4WD, shod with half decent tyres, off the showroom floor.

A suggestion would be to talk to Coopers in Brisbane, last time I talked with them, they were only weeks away from landing 17" tyres.

However your options are not good, and I would carefully plan what I would be going to do, for tyre support, if you go ahead with your purchase.

I by the way, would be waiting for the common rail diesel.

regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 19567

Reply By: Albyw - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:40

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:40
Thanks for the comments. The Prado was going to be our second 4wd for road and dirt. I will stick to our trusty HJ60 for now which is of course capable of just about anything just not in as much comfort. The other problem I see with the Prado is all the plastic down low on the side steps and wheel arches. Stone damge will be an issue. WA is a great state with excellent 4WD detinations but with huge stretches of tar between places where one can lock in the hubs (which I would not have to do in a Prado!).
AnswerID: 19570

Follow Up By: Albyw - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:56

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 07:56
I did speak to the bloke at Coopers who informed me that over in the states 18 and 20 inch wheels are not uncommon either. Speaking to other people in the know as well and it seems this is not a new problem and occured when many 4WD's went to 16" wheels. It is a supply and demand problem I suppose. The country will be well stocked with 17" tyres in years to come and some bright spark exec. will decide 18" wheels would be a great idea.

Cheers
FollowupID: 12381

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 15:47

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 15:47
Plastic low down will scratch to buggery, and I see this as a downer with cars.

Scratch these bits will be enough for a write off at the prices of car parts these days!!!!

18-20 inch wheels, yes on show cars, offroad cars? BZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

but there are LOTS of 17inch offroad tires in USA...

I see it causing tire places more problems with not only having to carry 17inch tires, but then every size in those AS WELL.... :(
FollowupID: 12406

Reply By: ThePublican - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 16:56

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 16:56
Like all things new the 17 will become more common as time goes by,, used to be that a standard car as in holden/ford had 13/14 inch wheels,,pray tell what size now.
AnswerID: 19600

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:16

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 21:16
I had 17inch wheels on my vehicle when it was imported from Japan - yep they cost heaps so I went a bought some 16inch wheels. Might hold onto them until 17inch tyres are more common because I will get nothing for them if I sell them now. Anyway they are 17inch Tri Spoke wheels with worn out low profile tyres - the previous Japanese owner used the car as a street 4WD. If anyone is interested though e'mail me.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 19635

Sponsored Links