CD skip

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 13:20
ThreadID: 4826 Views:1674 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have a Kenwood single disk front loading cd player in my car.

It is nearly three years old and gets quite alot of use about 2 hrs/day

During the last 6 months, it has started to jump, not always when the car goes over a bump. It is getting progressively worse.

Is this usually the player on it's way out, or could it be that the player needs cleaning and if so what should I clean it with?

Thanks in Advance!

Kelvin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 14:48

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 14:48
my cd player at home was getting a little like yours.
skipping a little and then more and more.
friend of mine pulled cover of and cleaned laser pick up with alcohol swab and still going good.
not to sure if its the proper way to do it.but it worked.

hope this helpseaster fun at jamison
AnswerID: 19588

Reply By: Andi - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 15:17

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 15:17
Hi Kevin

I have a kenwood DPX-400 and it was having similar probs about 12 months ago. My dad has a CD cleaning disc which you can get from just about anywhere which sells CDs. It has an intro audi track and these tiny little bristles embedded into it which actually clean the laser head. Simply pop it into your cd player and follow the promptsa and it should cure the prob. If not you may consider the type of terrain you have used your cd player on in the past. Unfortunately you are never supposed to play cds on a bumpy road, let alone whilst 4wdriving as the laser actually bangs into the surface of the disc, possibly damaging the disc but certailnly damaging the head. If the cleaning procedure does not work, then a service may be the order of the day.

good luck
Andy
AnswerID: 19589

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 15:26

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 15:26
Alpine has the best anti-skip around. So if you do replace it, go with one that has the hidden behind the face door for the CD(Drop the face and the CD goes in behind the face), stops dust getting in a little more too.

I have a VT SS Eurovox stereo in my GQ, and its a piece of dung. Was lookin at the Kenwood 5050, but still not sure what to go with to replace my Euro.

Im like you, my CD player gets a floggin, cant stand radio stations and their 55mins of ads and so called pathetic comedy and 5 min of so called moozik an hour...

Thinkin of going MP3 player though, I have 25-27,000 MP3s at my disposal!
AnswerID: 19590

Follow Up By: Allyn - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 16:06

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 16:06
NOW YOU'RE TALKING !!!
I've got my eye on an Alpine 6 Stacker MP3 (pretty well the equivalent to about a 50 CD player at home) although unlike you I do not have access to all the MP3's.
Wonder if the missus would like it for Christmas ?
FollowupID: 12411

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 06:07

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 06:07
I have the Alpine at present in a GU before that in a 47 Troopie, its done all the hard trips Canning most of the deserts, Cape now up at Weipa on some of the best!!!!! roads and never skipped once.
FollowupID: 12526

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 12:54

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 12:54
Good to hear Tony!!!!

Just goes to prove what Ive been told in the shop!
FollowupID: 12545

Reply By: Albyw - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 08:50

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 08:50
We have the same player with the same problem. CD's jump even more after a recent suspension upgrade - should have seen that coming. We have put it down to the unit woking loose on rough roads. We don't/can't play CD's whilst on the dirt but our player along with the rest of the vehicle, gets a work out. Last year the face of the player fell onto the floor. The plastic clips holding the face onto the body had snapped. We had not long come back fron a drive to Yulara along part of the Gunbarrel. Anyone who has been down that track will understand the effect this could have on components such as CD players. My wife recently discovered a quick fix for the problem - hold the front of the player. She was not keen on my suggestion about doing it for the entire trip to Perth!! Have had a go a couple of times to fasten it but will obviously need to have another go or go back to cassette. Karioke is not an intended part of our trip plan.
Cheers
AnswerID: 19661

Reply By: Member - Mark- Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:26

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:26
I installed a Pioneer system 4 years ago and in that time it has jumped only 2-3 times and only on severe corrugations. This includes the Simpson, part of the Gunbarrel, Sandy Blight Junction, the Finke track, Dalhousie to Hamilton Station to name a few. Our travelling companions have the same unit installed and also have had no problems.
AnswerID: 19696

Follow Up By: Member - Rick - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:56

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:56
Mark

Can you please tell us what model number etc

I drive a GU and guess what---we listen to tapes. Remember them? - at least they don't skip. As for the Nissan ad where Les Siviour is driving along & a bloody gret river redgum is lying accross the track. The ad has him saying "uh-oh - hope the CD payer doesn't slip", or words to that effect.

What a joke. However, I should not be surprised - why would a marketing campaign ever reference matters to owners before they ran it?

chrresRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
FollowupID: 12514

Reply By: Member - David- Monday, May 12, 2003 at 18:50

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 18:50
If cleaning doesn't work, it may be that over time the laser's output power has dropped (usually it takes years) below the reader's threshold and the CD will 'skip'. I had a player with a laser diode that did exactly that after about 10 months. The skipping got gradually worse until it was hopeless even on bitumen. The replacement laser is 5 years old and going strong.

You may find it cheaper to buy a new player than to have your existing player tested and fixed, and you can get new features and more powerful sound output too. Most newer players 'read ahead' so that if the laser head goes AWOL there is data in memory for it to pump out while the head gets back on track.

Cheers.

AnswerID: 19782

Reply By: David N. - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 21:08

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 21:08
If you have to replace, go for the MP3 option- they are THE way to go.
They have to only read about say 3 secs data per 12 secs playback so their "antiskip" performance is unbeatable- beats a CD player or stacker anyday.
We have two in the family (I have one on my GQ and #2 son has one- beeuuttiiffull , both same model JVCs)
Can't fault them, highly recommended.
Cheers
AnswerID: 19799

Sponsored Links