Yarakai River - Cape York

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 17:45
ThreadID: 4831 Views:1953 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone ever heard of or know of the Yarakai River in Cape York. It has been featured on an ABC program "A River Somewhere" but despite searching maps and the internet, I am unable to pinpoint its location. I think it may even be a local name for an otherwise named river.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 05:49

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 05:49
G'day Patsy I'm in Weipa and do a lot of fishing as everyone else does and don't no the name at all so it must be one of the re-named ones to make some people fell better. What was the fishing like?
AnswerID: 19715

Follow Up By: Patsy - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 14:03

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 14:03
Hi Tony
I did not see the program myself but my boss, Jim did. He says the fishing there was featured as being fantastic but he cannot remember what type of fish were being caught. He is travelling from Cairns to Cook Town later this month and would have liked the opportunity to visit the Yarakai whilst he was there (that is if he can find out where it is situated). Apparently, it is only accessible by boat.
I will be travelling to the tip mid next year and was wondering if you could give me some tips on the best places to catch a Barramundi or any other fish.
Cheers
Patsy
FollowupID: 12549

Follow Up By: Tony - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 13:14

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 13:14
G,day Patsy sorry about the delay but been out fishing,,,,,,

There are plenty of spots out of Weipa to fish. Off Evans Landing at night, Rocky point, Red Beach is good on the tidal movements, under the Androom bridge at night (watch out for those long things) had a 10 footer float passed the other day.

You can hire a tinny and get up some of the creeks that run into the Mission River.

As for the rivers don't want to give to much away but I got 6 Barra out of the Wenlock last week (all size) and 4 good black bream (sooty grunter) in 3 hrs fishing. Just work the snags and rock bars.
FollowupID: 13175

Follow Up By: Patsy - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 07:24

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 07:24
Thanks for the info Tony.
I can't wait to get up there next year and have a go. I have a competition going with my husband as to who can catch the first Barra. Tried last year in the Kimberley region but without success. Tried in the King River (near Wyndam) and at "Pigeon Hole" at El Questro. I did not even get a strike but hubby caught 6 huge catfish. We did charter a boat out of Broome and caught lots of Snapper, Striped Sea Perch and a great Coral Cod (this one was caught by me). - Team "Tassie" (thats us) won the day for most caught.
Cheers
Patsy
P. S. Those long things worry me a bit. Didn't see one at all, despite looking for them at Wyndam, King River, Telegraph Pool in the Kimberley where there are supposed to be lots. Only place I saw them do their stuff was at the Malcolm Douglas Park at feeding time.
FollowupID: 13261

Sponsored Links