GQ-GU Patrol 7inch lift kits

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 18:45
ThreadID: 4834 Views:9303 Replies:7 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Ijust put a Wolf 7inch lift kit in my GU Patrol. Recomend it to anyone.

Happy Driving

Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:19

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:19
Hi Brett,
What other changes did you have to make?

Brake Lines?
Castor plates?
breathers?
reverse the rear prop shaft?
Cost? %
%:-)
%
AnswerID: 19642

Follow Up By: brett - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:45

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:45
Wayne,
Its a full kit. Springs shocks castor plates adj. panards ext. brake lines.

I think rrp is $2800 but they are doing promo packages for $2400 + fitting.

Hope that helps

Brett
FollowupID: 12446

Reply By: Member - Wayne - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:54

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:54
Sounds a good deal, thanks for the info brett
cheers
wayne %
%:-)
%
AnswerID: 19647

Follow Up By: brett - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:57

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:57
Wolf should do you a good deal mate, i know they ship if you are interested email bretton1@bigpond.com

Good luck
Brett
FollowupID: 12448

Reply By: John - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 11:02

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 11:02
Hate to put a dampener on things but youvé probably voided your comrehensive insurance policy.
AnswerID: 19669

Follow Up By: William - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:05

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:05
not only voided your insurance policy but illegal in most states

interesting to see if they come with an all states engineering and approval certificate

7" is absolute stupidity and you can expect many problems and probably a police ticket in any state other than the NT
FollowupID: 12481

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 19:46

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 19:46
>

A bit harsh dont you think !

Just because its not your thing dosent mean others can't do what they like to there own rigs.

Do you even know Brett ? you dont even know if its a comp truck only!

I have a 6" spring lift on my 80 series with 35" tyres and think it sits quite reasonable. (pic on link below)
http://forums.overlander.com.au/attachments//river%5F1%2Ejpg

Some people don't live in the big city and actually take there rigs bush, if you did im sure you would know where we are coming from !

Kev.
FollowupID: 12487

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 20:10

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 20:10
LOL!

1) Why, if your not competing, its a waste...
2) if your in Qld, you will have no insurance and will be very much illegal. First cop that sees you will have a field day.
3) how much was the engineers for it? As they wont do them on a lift over 5 inch in Vic anymore.
3) you running 38's now otherwise it will look like its on smarties...
4) you wont run 38's as they require a 10inch rim and they are illegal.
AnswerID: 19691

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 20:50

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 20:50
>

The day a cop pulls me over for that i will eat my shorts !(touch wood) LOL
6 years i drove a High lifted Hilux with 33" muds on 10" alloy rims and not once have i been pulled over for illegal mods, even when pulled over for trafic infringments !
Now a 6" lift and 35" muds on my Cruiser have not attracted any attention.

BTW- there is a lifted 4runner with 35" tyres/10" rims and a Patrol with 38" swampers driven around Cairns as a daily driven rig with no hassels.

Some times you have to do what YOU want and not give a #*!k what others think or just dont bother at all ! (not directing that last sentence to you Truckster )

FollowupID: 12493

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:04

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:04
Truckster,
I don't mean to direct my last post at you, im just a bit bleep about the the earler "absolute stupidity" comment.

Cheers,

Kev.
FollowupID: 12495

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:44

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 21:44
Thats kewl, you didnt see the police bust in Dandenong Vic on tele did you?

They were pulling over EVERYONE, regardless.. they made record busts, and had a serious boner .

From what others are sayin on other lists, its happenin everywhere at the moment, not 4wds, but the Gino;s and everyone else is getting caught up in the busts.

they had 10+ cop cars, + bikes, + buses, and vans!!!!! it looked crazy on the tele.
FollowupID: 12509

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:02

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:02
Whats a Gino ?

When i moved from the N.T. to QLD i had to take my Hilux over the "QLD transport" for the rego inspection and no one even batted an eye lid over my rig, they where only interested in engine/chassis no# ect.

Maybe you get away with a bit more in a small town !

(can imagin them doing a crack down one day)
FollowupID: 12516

Reply By: tristjo - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:38

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:38
For f@?ks sake, just because you think that a particular mod wouldn't suit you and you beleive it is exsesive, you think you have the right to act like a bloody copper, who late at night doubles as a friggin grim reaper!!! Christ, cut us real 4wds some slack!! We are just like anyone else who pursues a hobby, we want the best we can get, and we love to improve and refine the implement we use for our hobby, which happens to be a fourby. I am sick to death of being labled an "idiot" or a "hoon" for wanting to make these kinds of serious mods to my vehicle, when it is nobodys buisness but my own how i choose to spend my money, and wat i chooses to do in my spare time!! And before you give me all that safety, and "your a danger to everyone on the road" bull bleep , when we modify our rigs, safety is one of our highest concerns. If some of you guys got along to watch some serious offroad comps, you would realise who well these mods are conducted, and having only last weekend watched a GQ patrol with 6inch spring lift, 3inch body lift, and 35inch tyres flying around a gymkahna course that would test the handling limits of your average family sedan without any cause for worry, i can truly vouch for the safety and foolproofness of such mods. And wen it comes to the law, i know up here in Queensland, the cops are busy chasing the real idiots!! People with their little street cars, with welded diffs, heaps of horse power, stupidly low suspension, rediculously loud stereos and exhaust systems, but no mods to increase safety, doing 220kph down the local main road, which i have to drive every early mornin on the way home from work, it is truly life threatining!!! The problem is to many "wet blankets", who will never let anyone live the life they choose, because they dont like it, and frankly, these people give me the absoloute bleep S!!!! Feel more than free to reply to this post with your honest oppinion, cause I have had enough!!!
AnswerID: 19706

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 11:50

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 11:50
I totally agree !

My rig is built safe and i don't exceed 100 km/ph so i dont se any problems.

Tristjo, do what pleases you and don't let anyone tell you different !

Kev.
FollowupID: 12541

Follow Up By: tristjo - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 14:02

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 14:02
Thanks for your support, Kev, I am happy to see that there are still people out there who whole heartedly support freedom of choice!!! There is still hope!! lol!! Tristjo.
FollowupID: 12548

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 17:13

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 17:13
Simple rule, will it pass a witches hat slarlem test ? the same basic test to see if it will flip over if you have to swerve to avoid hitting another car or pedestian, if it passes and an engineer gives you a cert for it by all means make it legal to drive it, stupidity is driving something on the road that when something simple happens turns into a nightmare for everyone involved.

In the USA they have been taking the car makers to court over the large number of Roll over deaths as a result of drivers doing something simple like swerving to avoid an accident. Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota have all been makeing there trucks wider & lower as a result of what may happen in the courts.

As for you comment that "cut us real 4wds some slack!! We are just like anyone else who pursues a hobby" you don't have to Have a lift kit & modified truck to be a real 4WDer! this sort of comment gives the sensible people a bad name.

FollowupID: 12559

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 20:19

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 20:19
About your last comment Old Jack:

" This sort of comment gives the sensible people a bad name "

What ! So we who modify our trucks are not sensible ?
Obviously you have put us in the "hoon" catagory that Tristjo was talking about earler !

BTW- No mater what car you drive your not ment to swerve an object, number one rule!

FollowupID: 12582

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 08:58

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 08:58
Kev:-
The sensible people are the varst majority of owners who drive 4WD's and behave in a sensible manner, not moan because you have to work with the same rules as everyone else.
If you want to have really highly modified 4wd for comp's by all means do so but be smart, put it on a trailer & take it to the comps, most people with rally cars do this for the same reason, not wanting to be LAbled as Hoon's for driving Modified cars on the roads even though most of these cars in a crash would be safer then your average road car, most of these people are midle aged family men:-
" I am sick to death of being labled an "idiot" or a "hoon"
Perception is 90% visual 10 % action

I own 2 4wd's & two cars, one car is red & shiny with two door, from the factory it's low to the ground with big shinny wheels, I drive it around town seldom because the police like to pull it over to look at it, until they realise it's an Old bloke driving it. Its not even a modified car But I don't moan about it, it actually very funny, the Kid's think it's a hoot, once again it's about Perception, the police notice all the time the well kept condition of the car, the nice tyres with plenty of tread, the polite & curtiest manner in which it is driven. Then drive off with a wave!

I'd like to see you put your rule into practice when someone's child steps out onto the street or a car moves into the road in front of you!
Have you been to some sort of Defensive driving course?

it's the poeple who tailgate other drivers, push into lanes & intimidate other drivers with there behaivour on the road that give the Sensible people a bad name, when the mud gets thrown around some of it unfortunatly sticks. this affects everyone with A 4WD.

FollowupID: 12609

Follow Up By: tristjo - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 16:04

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 16:04
Well, Old jack, wouldn't it be nice to have enogh money to be able to own and drive TWO four wheel drives and TWO cars!!! Then I caould have the appropriate vehicle for every occasion, much like women and their handbags!! But alas, I am one of the many Aussies who would probably be commonly refered to as a POOR BASTARD!! I don't have so much money that I can have a shiny sports car in which to drive around town, and another to do the shopping, and a 4wd for touring, and one for Hardcore four wheel driving!! What you have to realise is that most people can only afford to buy 1 vehicle, and it needs to cover all aspects of their driving life, including their recreation. Therefore, if some one really loves their offroading, they build a vehicle that can be a very capeable offroader, but can still safely, and easily, be driven around town, which is what I am on about here. Most mods that are made to competition trucks, can be made to all four wheel drives without compromising safety to it's occupants, or other road users. It seems to me that alot of people think that just because a modification makes a vehicle different form the others, that the person that owns it does not care about the rest of society, and they are posing a threat to everyone!! Answer me this: When was the last time you saw a modified four wheel drive involved in an accident, where the fault could be attributed to a particular modification?? Then ask yourself this: When was the last time you saw a high powered sports car involved in a serious accident, where the fault could be attributed to the high power output, therefore high speed, of this particular vehicle?? I beleive I am a responsible road user. I have never had an accident, my fault or otherwise, i have never received a fine for any sort of traffic infrigment, and I don't beleive I have ever acted in an aggresive manor towards another road user. Please, get your facts straight, and don't just assume that because we drive modified vehicles, we are idiots. And can i say a big thank you to all the reasonable people out there, who still support freedom of choice, and self reponsibility. Tristjo.
FollowupID: 12663

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 16:43

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 16:43
yes it is nice to be poor paying 4 lots of insurance, rego & tax each year, never said any of the cars where new or expensive, Im just a poor barstard that works for a living like most others, I don't Drink or smoke to be able to afford to do this, after all these years to own what I have got, you have sort of missed the point. The reason the goverments have been stepping up enforcement of vehcial compliance in recent years is as a result of accidents caused mostly by stupidity(driver error), the fact that the cars stand out from the crowd dosn't help the sensible people as I pointed out.

New legislation is being looked at in most states & teritories that would see any vehcial "lifted" more than 50mm requiring engineering certification, there are a few threads on here with this in it.
no where did i say anything about anyone's fredom of choice as to what they drive. No where in my statement did I say anyone was an idiot for modifying cars, you are unfortunatly the one making assumptions, if you re-read I pointed out as example that the Modified rally cars are in fact safer in a crash then a normal road car (multi point roll cage side bars & multi point Harness might have something to do with that fact)
as I also pointed out the varst majority of people do drive & behave in a responsible manner, pity about the small number that don't.

FollowupID: 12669

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:40

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:40
I do put my "rule" in practice, don't swerve and drive to the road conditions !
As im sure you know this means travel at a speed that will allow you to stop in time if the unexpected happens.

Talking about a child steping out in front of you, now we are going a bit overboard.
I don't remember my braking ability being reduced by a spring lift !!!!

Lets face it, theres nothing wrong with a modifyed 4wd if driven right.
I think your argument should be directed towards unexperianced drivers instead.

Kev.
FollowupID: 12673

Follow Up By: tristjo - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 21:46

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 21:46
My "poor bastard" comment had alot to do with the point. If you can afford to pay 4 lots of rego and insurance, and own an impractical 2 door, shiny red sportscar, with shiny wheels, you are not what most people would call a "poor bastard". The reason this is relevant to my comment is that we cannot afford to own a range of vehicles. You say "If you want to have really highly modified 4wd for comp's by all means do so but be smart, put it on a trailer & take it to the comps". Now what am I supposed to tow my vehicle to the comps with?? And how am I supposed to justify the expense of having a "competition only" fourby?? So, if you are following what I am saying, going by your oppinion, only the people who can afford a comp only truck, the trailer to put it on, and another car capeable of towing it, should be allowed to choose this form of recreation. And anyway, I think that a fourby, towing a very large trailer, with another fourby on top would pose more of a danger than just a modified truck on the way to a comp. Sounds to me that YOU are missing the point. Before to long in this country, we will no longer be able to partake alot of hobbies we do now, because someone out there may think it is "unsafe". Now this is what I mean when I say we are losing our freedom of choice. Tristjo.
FollowupID: 12698

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:41

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:41
thats a nice looking cruiser kev......

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 19707

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 11:59

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 11:59
Thanks Mike,

It is exactly how i want it and has a few mods that i wouldn't change for anything (or anyone).

Kev.
FollowupID: 12542

Reply By: Member - Russell - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:21

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:21
Brett,
Most interesting discussion. Good luck to you - I'd like to get some sort of lift some time, but perhaps not 7 inches! While I support your freedom to modify as you see fit, would it not be wise to check out the insurance company's view of the matter? If they won't cover you, then you're wasting your money paying the premium, and will be in some poo if something untoward happens. If they are happy, great, but if not, might be worth checking out another mob who will insure modified 4WDs. There used to be a company like that down in Victoria, but that was a few years ago and I've lost track. Anyone else know if there's anything available at present?

Russell S.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 19810

Follow Up By: tristjo - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:07

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 23:07
Insurance companies are a pain in the rear, and no two companies have the same policies. When my brother first bought his GQ Patrol, it had a set of heavy duty rear coils on it, which gave it a very small lift, but was designed for safety and stability when carrying a load, rather than to acheive a lift. One of the insurance companies he rang said quote " we will not insure a vehicle if it has any accessories or modifications that could possibly change the specification's the vehicle, unless it was a standard, manufacturer fitted accessory or device". What a load of rubbish!! Can't these companies see that we are, in alot of cases, trying to make the vehicle safer for it's intended use??? Needless to say, he went elswhere, and i beleive he now has NRMA coverage for his vehicle, which has a 4inch lift, and alot off other accessories, and it is a very reasonably priced premium. The covereage is also effective in all offroad situations, including four wheel drive parks. So, when it comes time to renew your insurance, shop around, cause there are still a few mobs left that understand what we are really on about, and are prepared to help. Tristjo.
FollowupID: 12600

Sponsored Links