60 series low range

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 17:42
ThreadID: 4843 Views:2359 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have a 1984, 60 series 'Cruiser with a 5 speed g'box H55F and lever on the floor shift for high-low range.
Recently I have noticed, usually in the middle of a river as I am stuck!, that 4WD does not always engage in low range. With a bit of experimentation we have determined that the free-hubs are OK, that 4WD in High range works just fine and that Low range does engage and work it is just that the front wheels are not always driven.

On a slippery ramp with low range selected, low range driving (via rear wheels till they slip) & hubs in, once the vehicle loses traction I am sitting there with a rear wheel spinning & zip at the front as the front prop shaft is not turning.

However subsequently after shagging about with high range and 2WD sometimes we do get 4WD in low in the same situation!?!?

I am guessing a worn low range selector shaft or fork in the t'case which sounds like $$$$$, can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Thanks
Gerard

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Busta - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 20:44

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 20:44
Gerard

Your problem sounds familiar. Having had mine apart to find the cause of a similar problem, I doubt that this is an internal problem in the transfer case. What makes me say this is that 4WD is selected by moving the transfer lever downwards and moving the lever across to select low range only changes the ratio, the front wheel drive should not be affected.

The source of my problem which I initially thought was no front wheel drive in low (but turned out to be no or intermittent 4WD) was a stiff transfer lever. What happened was I could move the transfer lever low enough to be able to move it across to low but it was not low enough to engage the front wheels. I only figured this out once I had the box off and the transfer case (with no internal damage, doh!) dismantled.

I suspect you are suffering from a similar problem, there may even be an issue with the lever causing the transfer to move out of 4WD as you select low range. Either way the solution to this problem it to remove the lever (not difficult from memory), clean the bushes, grease and replace. Hopefully this will solve your problem, otherwise it may well be the $$$$ you are talking about.

Good Luck
Busta
AnswerID: 19695

Reply By: Redjack - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:19

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 22:19
Gerard,
Check the rubber bushes in the linkage to the transfer case gear lever. A then new work 60 series had a similar problem. Hopefully it's something simple.
AnswerID: 19703

Reply By: Dozer - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 23:55

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 23:55
Gerard
More of the same, i had the exact same problem. You will find that when the lever is in low, you can move it forward and back a bit. When it is forward, it disengages the front shaft, pull it back a feww millimeters, and it engages. The problem i had was with the mechanical linkage/stop ontop of the gearbox. A small adjustment fixed it-no more red faces.
Andrew
AnswerID: 19712

Follow Up By: gerard - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 17:00

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 17:00
Thanks for all your replies,

Andrew you got it spot on except my lever will move about 10-15mm forward. Its like an extra 2WD low ratio option!

I must have been knocking it with my leg when things got a bit bumpy.

Cheers
Gerard
FollowupID: 13204

Follow Up By: Dozer - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:41

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:41
Hope you didnt get it stuck and need a tug from a Patrol.... even worse, if theyve got a video camera... now how does it go..."im stuck in the mud"
Andrew
FollowupID: 13211

Reply By: Tony - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 06:16

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 06:16
Also check that the lever is not hitting against the floor and preventing it engaging.
AnswerID: 19717

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:29

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 00:29
i'm having the same problems with my '85 tray. Yet to investigate, but have had suggested some loose mounting problems or adjustments only needed. Must get around to it.Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 19823

Sponsored Links