Rego In NSW

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 15:39
ThreadID: 4886 Views:1701 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was talking to a mate at the footy the other day standing in front of my landcruiser. Which just so happens to have a bullbar and winch attached. He is a mechanic and asked how I went getting it through rego with the winch attached. When I asked him what the heck he was talking about. He pointed me to the RTA website and said to have a read as he had already recieved info from them about not passing these for rego. Have a read and let me know what you guys think

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/vehiclestandards/index.html

Regards
Rusty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tessa_51 - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:25

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:25
Rusty
Sorry it looks like they have got you. As one who has spent the last 30 years attempting to interpret the legislative diarrhoea coming out of Macquarie Street it appears to me that any winch which protrudes past the front of the bull bar is now out! They will say that it has the p[otential to injure in a collision and that would impossible to argue against. If the winch is an integral part of the bar and does not protrude forward from the front of the bar I think it will be all right. Provided of course that the fitting of the winch does not leave sharp edges on the bar.
AnswerID: 19892

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:25

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:25
Rusty

under point 2 it says

"Minor protrusions forward of the bull bar or bumper bar such as a spotlight, or fairleads required for the operation of a winch, where the mounting brackets do not protrude, are permitted providing the protrusion is the minimum necessary and is blunt or protected to minimise any risk of injury to vulnerable road users"

The way I understand that, is that provided its just the fairlead protruding from the bar, you should not have a problem. And in anycase, why emergency vehicles are allowed to get by without any problems and normal passenger vehicles aren't I have no idea. Emergency vehicles are just as exposed to hitting a pedestrian as any other vehicle is.

I think they are referring to situations where the entire winch is protruding in fornt of the bull bar (something I have seen on a couple of occassions). Where the winch is mounted inside the frame of the bar, and only has the fairleads protruding, I dont think this poses a problem according to what they are saying.
AnswerID: 19893

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:36

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:36
Spot onWish i was still here / Gulf in July
FollowupID: 12672

Follow Up By: Rusty - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:49

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:49
That was my point to. It is only the rolllers on the front of the bullbar. The winch it self is mounted in the bullbar.

If this is the case sounds like ARB & TJM etc will have to re-design all their bull bars and I may have to get a new one

Regards
Rusty
FollowupID: 12707

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:22

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 18:22
gday rusty.you mate is right here in victoria if im doing a roadworthy and the winch protrudes beyond the bull bar(the fair lead) i have to knock it but if you make a box to cover it its legal.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 19900

Sponsored Links