Timing belt replacement - Prado/ Hilux/Surf

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 22:31
ThreadID: 4899 Views:25404 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Is replacing the belt a simple task to do or should I get a qualified mechanic. I have the 3L turbo diesel intercooled motor 1KZTE. It is in my 97 Surf and I was also wondering if anyone has heard of Prados diesels having any motor issues - heard that the - I think the idler gear is an issue with hilux or early Surfs but replacing the 8mm bolts with 10mm fix the problem. My model has the heavier duty 10mm bolts the same as what is in the present Prados so I was wondering if any Prados have any issues that I should fix now before it arises especially seeing I am about to head for the Kimberleys.
PS. The timing belt light - how do you turn it off - no it does not have the pin hole (like other Surfs/ hiluxs) but believe you take the instrument cluster out and swap 2 screws over (the Prado light how do you turn it off in them) ?Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rusty - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 00:03

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 00:03
No offence meant by this. But if you have to ask should you take it to a mechanic to get get the belt changed. The answer is YES.

If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have asked. Better to be safe than sorry. Cause if you get it wrong it won't be cheap to fix.

Regards
Rusty

AnswerID: 19961

Reply By: herkman - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 09:39

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 09:39
I am afraid that Rusty is right, This is not a job for the first timer, not that it is that difficult, but you must get it right.

The real problem is that you will need tools that I doubt if you have, and if you get it wrong

The engine will not start

The engine may not run properly

Serious damage to the engine could occur

HOWEVER IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE TASK BE DONE, WHEN IT IS DUE, A BROKEN TIMING BELT, EVEN IN YOUR DRIVEWAY, IS THE VERY LAST THING YOU NEED.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 19980

Reply By: paul - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:33

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:33
My 1985 gemini last year busted its timing belt going round the corner when my gurlfiend was driving it. She was out of brisbane at the time and i told her to let the RACQ guy take it to his workshop and fix it (my fault for letting that ominous start up rattle go for too long). I feared the worse thinking damage and big bucks. Couldn't believe my eyes when she drove it back the next day with a bill for $67.50.

I think a lot of the older engines had actual cam chains - which of course a broken chain flying round does a lot of damage, though of recent times the trend has been to have timing belts made of synthetic which takes away the issue of massive internal damage. But then again it was a gemini and i have not been inside my toyota's engine yet - comment ?
AnswerID: 20016

Follow Up By: Member - ADRIAN- Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 00:11

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 00:11
YOUR GEM BEING A PETROL HAS RELIEFS IN PISTONS TO PROVIDE SPACE FOR THE VALVES SHOULD THE BELT BREAK. ANY DIESEL
DOSENT HAVE THIS SPACE SO VALVES CLASH WITH PISTONS
I HAVE SEEN ENG.S WRECK CYL HEADS/CAMS/VALVES GUIDES ETC
SO CHANGE BELT WHEN DUE.IF BUYING S/H DIESEL I WOULD CHANGE BELT AND TENSIONERS AS WELL EVEN IF THE LIGHT HASNT COME ON
AS THE LIGHTS DONT HAVE ANY CONECTION TO THE T/BELT /ONLY THE SPEEDO & WHO KNOWS WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED THERE
I KNOW OF PEOPLE THAT DISCONECT SPEEDOS TO INCREASE THERE WARRANTY ETC/CHANGE TENSIONERS EVERY 2ND BELT AT LEAST AS IHAVE SEEN THESE SIEZE UP & BURN THE BELT[IF THIS HAPPENS THE COST OF TENSIONERS IS ZILCH COMPARED TO THE RESULTANT DAMAGE
FollowupID: 12808

Reply By: herkman - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:05

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:05
Your Lady was lucky.

Often a broken cam belt means big bucks, with valves through pistons etc.

I think you should take her out for a special dinner.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 20024

Reply By: Tuco69 - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:00

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:00
I have a 95 Surf and have done the timing belt change in 30 minutes - new genuine Toyota belt cost $43.

With respect, if you need to ask the question here - then maybe you should get a mechanic to do it for you.

If the mechanic says that it will take 3 or 4 hours and lists off a heap of things that need to be removed - he probably hasn't done a 1KZTE belt change before. There is nothing that needs to be removed other than the timing belt cover to access the tensioner and belt on the 1KZTE. Removal of the left (passenger side) battery will make access easier, but not essential. Other early Surfs with 2L-TE engines are a pain by comparison.

Don't expect your mechanic to tackle the job in 30 minutes if the engine is hot though - he will need it to cool down first, before working on it.

Tuco in Cairns
AnswerID: 20060

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 19:49

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 19:49
Thanks for the replies maybe I should have said that I have some experience with motors -use to pull down my 2 stroke motor bike and change rings & pistons and also did a 4stroke also, pulled car motors out and taken off heads on old windsor 302's, done all the brakes etc - but NO I have not tackled a timing chain/belt on anything except for the motor bike - and yes I stuffed it up, did not mark the chain and so was not sure of the correct spot for the chain to sit on the gears - but I worked it out and it started first time. Ok maybe I will just go and get myself a manual, Thanks.
PS. $42 for the belt is the best price I have heard so far.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 20132

Reply By: mrdesmo - Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 05:34

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 05:34
Beddo,
If you've had some experience working on motors etc and you know your way around a spanner, then BUY A MANUAL...the Gregory's are good enough to get you out of trouble and a worthwhile accessory on any trip. The genuine manuals are very expensive when the alternative is good enough. I've owned a Sierra and two Hilux's and have never had to pay a mechanic for anything, and I have done complete rebuilds on engines diffs etc. Common sense and a decent set of tools along with your manual will save you big $$$$$!! Good luck.
AnswerID: 20276

Sponsored Links