hi lift jack

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 08:43
ThreadID: 4903 Views:3566 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
does a hi lift jack just take the weight of the car then u use your normal jack to change a tyre all should the hi lift jack lift the tyer as wall as the body of the car not sure how they work any info would help thanks rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: candef - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:35

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:35
A hi lift jack can be used in a bunch of situations.
1) Tire change - if you have steel/square front/rear bumpers then you can use it to raise a wheel and change tires as you normally would only you mount the jack under the bumber as opposed to the chassis.

2) Recovery
option a) winch substitute - attach strap to vehicle recovery point. attach strap to base of jack. attach chain to other end of jack. attach other end of chain to recovery point (if a tree use a tree protector). Set the jack in reverse with the jacking point at the top of the jack. Be sure to take up as much slack as possible in the setup. Crank jack to bring chain end closer to strap end hence moving 4wd out of bog hole. Remember to release your parking break or you might bring the whole tree down (my girlfriend can tell you a story about this....). This process will result in moving your vehicle about 4 inches to a couple of feet depending on how stuck you are and how much slack you are able to get rid of. It is very tedious but it works. I've used it to move my 4wd up a hill to enable a clutch start with a dead battery. In this situation you would be screwed with an electric winch (although a hand winch is probably better).
option b) create more ground clearance - you can also use the jack to lift your vehicly off stuck rocks etc. after bottoming out to assist a winching or 2nd vehicle snatch strap recovery. The idea here is to get the dead mass of the vehicle off the rock/log/etc to enable it to be pulled out. This can be kind of risky so I won't say any more than that and leave it to the pros to fill in details.

I could possible imagine many other uses for a high lift jack but that should get you started.
AnswerID: 19988

Follow Up By: ROBERT - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:48

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:48
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY I WAS USING ONE THIS MORNING THE CAR SEEMED TO LIFT OK BUT I WAS NEAR THE HIGHEST POINT AND TYRE DID NOT HAVE MUCH GROUND CLEARENCE I MIGHT NEED A LONGER HI LIFT JACK
FollowupID: 12722

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:56

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:56
Hi Robert, get someone to show you how to use a highlift jack properly before you start playing with it because they can bite you big time and damage your vehicle. I carry 4 jacks in my vehicle, 1 the original wind up contraption thtat Toyota in thier wisdom made too tall to fit under the axle housing on a sealed road, 2 A good quality hydraulic bottle jack 3 An exhaust jack that I personally regard as a bit of a gimmick, impossible to use on anything but a flat surface or the vehicle slides off it. 4 My hi lift jack. In 95% of my jacking situations I go staight to my hydraulic bottle jack and jacking plates and if I were not training I would not bother to carry anything else. Chees RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 19990

Follow Up By: ROBERT - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:15

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:15
thanks for your reply will get somebody to show me think i did ok today with it just did not get much tyre clearence might need a longer jack
because if as bogged i wouldnt get much under the tyre thanks rob
FollowupID: 12726

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:56

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:56
Just be wary of the stability of the hi-lift jack (even on concrete). As with my suspension, I have to jack the vehicle fairly high when changing tyres and will always place bricks or a jack stand under before starting any work on it, and prior to that a spare wheel or something (fail safe mechanism) to push under before even considering getting under the vehicle. As to the bottle jack they're useless on mine - not enough height to lift the wheels off the ground which sounds like you may have a similar problem. I carry a barby plate wherever I go, this doubles as a jacking plate in offroad conditions.
Interesting comment about the exhaust jack, definitely made me stop and think if it's worth buying one.
RegardsLove the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 12730

Follow Up By: Member - Topcat - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:10

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:10
Another bit of advice. Never use bricks to support a vehicle. They can crumble without notice and are not designed as weight support platform. Use vehicle stands or a large block of wood that sits firm on a flat surface. Remember to chock your wheels & don't only rely on your handbrake to prevent the vehicle from moving while jacking. Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 12733

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:36

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:36
I was referring to those magic bricks:)
Always had a spare wheel there just in case they gave away.Love the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 12738

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:11

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:11
I always carry 6 pieces of 6x2 timber that I use as jacking plates, wheel chocks and also good for fitting chains. Even with 44" tyres you have only raised your axel 7" higher than stock, easily handled by a few pieces of 6x2 that can be picked up free at any building site. As for Exhaust jacks, some 4x4 accessories are like fishing lures, designed to catch more fishermen than fish :-) Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 12747

Follow Up By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 16:56

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 16:56
I've had a bit of success with the exhaust jack, I must admit when I changed the exhaust from standard to a 2.5 inch system I forgot I had the smaller cone on the exhaust jack and it wouldn't fit over the top so that caught me out once. I helped a guy in a land Rover once driving through a forest, he'd been over a bit of a hump and bent the steering arm, normal for this model, (snigger), it didn't take a moment to whip out the old exhaust jack and elevate his front end to a point where we could straighten things out for him, I borrowed the mats out of his LR to save damage and slippage of the bag. They do have a place, I've used the exhaust jack in a beach environment on a few occasions with great success, my hydraulic jack wasn't worth diddly squat when I used it on the beach after a bit of a soaking with sea water mixed in with a bit of sand, all good lubrication mediums. Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 12764

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 17:11

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 17:11
If you put the high-lift under the body or bumper - the wheel will not start to move until all the suspension travel has been taken up which
can be alot.

Far better to jack the wheel directly (and then fill in the hole with
rocks). For this you need an adaptor that fits around the hub and
then you insert the high-lift into this. This is available for some 4wd's
from 'all good 4x4 stores'.

Some vehicles cannot have this done - depending on your hubs.
I was trying to figure out a way of getting the jack into the cut-outs
of my 80 series steel wheels - maybe an adaptor is available - but
I have not found one yet!

I agree with comments about air bag. I never had much success &
prefer a high-lift/hydraulic & good jacking plate any day!

Rob
AnswerID: 20041

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 23:03

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 23:03
If you where realy keen you could set up a chain that wraps around the diff and hooks onto the chassis, this would remove the need to jack the suspension travel.

I have not done this but sounds like a good idea!
AnswerID: 20085

Reply By: Slammin - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 23:31

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 23:31
Nobody's said it so I will.

The best thing about a hilift is that it's FAST, real FAST. No messing about, no getting underneath not even a knee in the dirt.

When you've got a zillion flies, it's 42 'C, you're late to town and your 1 yr old is screaming to get his flynet off, that hilift is the best thing you'll ever likely see. 5 mins no bulldust!
AnswerID: 20088

Follow Up By: Billf - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 20:55

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 20:55
Slammin,
This sounds like the Hilift is good only for tyre changing on the hard track
What do you use when spinning in the sand or mud

Inexperienced
FollowupID: 12879

Follow Up By: Slammin - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 23:04

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 23:04
g'day Bill
Most of my driving is desert sand so I always carry a good base plate. The key to using a hilift is practice and balance.
I've noticed some of the Govt. 4by's espec. hilux have the groove welded into the bullbar but it is at the side and this is really tricky as the car lifts it also moves away from your jacking base so can be touch and go. I always grab from directly front or behind closer to center, and get the jack base slightly off straight so it is slightly under the car.
The first time I ever used one the car lurched away from me & scared the bejeesus out of me. So far I haven't had to use one on steep hills but I can tell you if I did I would chock like mad and engage low 4.
Just practice and I've found it pretty damn effective.

Remember take it as fast as you want & have fun!
FollowupID: 12899

Reply By: William - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 08:45

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 08:45
good info below
http://www.j8g.co.uk/landy/hilift/index.html
http://www.hi-lift.com/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/
AnswerID: 20100

Follow Up By: ROBERT - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 08:57

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 08:57
thanks for all your replys will take note and use the hi lift jack as suggested thanks again for all your replys
FollowupID: 12826

Sponsored Links