Out Of Balance

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:09
ThreadID: 4907 Views:1801 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just been down to my local tyre centre because of a major vibration while travelling at around 85 km/h. When doing another wheel balance on all four wheels it was found the a steer rim was bent and was that far out of balance I had to replace the whole rim. Any thoughts on how the rim could be bent and I have not been running low pressures.

Thanks, for the help.

2 more sleeps till Cameron's Corner.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David N. - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:15

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:15
Has someone you've loaned the car to hit a kerb?? What about your "other half"???
Cheers
AnswerID: 20001

Reply By: tristjo - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:46

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:46
My father had a similar problem with a TP Magna. The tyre guy said that all four rims were out of round, and would have to be replaced. When he spoke to some other tyre dudes about getting some new rims, they reckoned that there was no way possible that all four could be damaged, unless all four had been clouted against a kerb!! So, he only bought 2 rims, which fixed the problem, BUT, they were fitted at the same time some new tyres, and the wheels were aligned. So, be very wary, the may just be trying to screw you, and it mite not be a problem with the rim at all, could be a tyre problem, or balance and align prob. We had a set of goodyears fitted to that Magna, and we found out that the actual tyre was out of round, after it had worn to about half tread. Just a few ideas, hope they help. Tristjo.
AnswerID: 20007

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:51

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:51
avove post sounds right pretty hard for a rim to just go and bend its self unless someone hit something and didnt own up.did you see the wheel being balanced.go to another tyre shop and watch them balance it.look at the tyre as well as the rim if a tyre is way out of balance can make the rim look bent slightly.try swapping suspect rim to back of car and see what happens.there are shonky people out there.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 20018

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:59

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:59
Diamond are you in the suspension or tyre game ????
(Genuine question) Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 12787

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:26

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:26
gday cocka
im a mechanic in a tyre shop.
my job is roadworthys/wheel alignments/front end/suspensionlooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 12791

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:45

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:45
Now I know why that dingbat got stuck into you the other day on that thread about P crowd who went down the tube.
Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 12795

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:52

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:52
gday cocka.
i wish i new what his problem was maybe you could help me lol
i dont work for pedderslooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 12797

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 22:16

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 22:16
Ahhhhhhhhhhh You mentioned the P word.
Can't help sorry - I think he was just an angry young man.
The thing was, none of us was angry at him nor not sorry for his mate. I just couldn't see how that www thing was going to help him or anyone. It was like pouring petrol on a fire to put it out.
Cheers.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 12800

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 22:20

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 22:20
gday cocka
sorry about that i meant to say padders lololooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 12802

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:25

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:25
Nat
i had a similar problem with my ford courer & had to replace 2 rims which no mater how hard they tried they could not be balnced & was told by ford that the rims could have suffered damage by curbs or speed humps or just been faulty from day one & got worse with constant use.according to ford damaging a rim is not as hard as it sounds, even fitting the rims & nuts in the wrong order can twist a rim beyound the abilty of balancing, also you do not say what type of vehicle they are fitted to nissan patrols have a vibration at between 80 & 90kms which stems from the type of tyre on the vehicle & balnacing will not always remove this vibration
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 20026

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 14:45

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 14:45
Nat,
Something to check, I had a vibration on the rear axle of my trusty Triton a fw years back and went down a similar track to yourself, I found the actual halfshaft flange was running out of true, not by much but when the small runout is moved to a larger diameter the error is greatly exagerated. Something to check, this damage I suspect was done by the previous owner, it wasn't me nahhh. Changing the wheels around as mentioned is also a good idea, you haven't put any puncture repair goo in the tyre have you? I've heard of this slumping inside the tyre when left for long periods. Good luck Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 20115

Reply By: victatwo - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 20:31

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 20:31
Regarding balance of tyres etc,though this applies to my fairmon could be the same with 4wd had some vibration at around the 100 k mark ford balanced and checked all wheels,could not balance them properly,suggested see the tyre people,did so at over 8000 from new and no hassle, changed all five tyres and balanced them for the grand total of $50 that is what I call service and thanks to Goodyear
Regards Tom the Pom [ex]
AnswerID: 20140

Sponsored Links