puntures

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 17:11
ThreadID: 4911 Views:1489 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
any advice on which bead breaker to use on hilux alloy wheels ,and how to avoid damadge to rims when removing tyres etc thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 17:20

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 17:20
I'Ve heard the R & R bead breaker is better for alloy wheels than the Tyreplier model, I have alloys and I have a Tyre plier, I'm just thankful I haven't had to use one in anger yet, I was toying with buying an R & R but I put the extra money into a set of BFG A/T's so I'm treating the cause and not the symptom. Over to othersKeep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 20043

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (WA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:09

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:09
Hi gang!

Whilst I agree it's a good idea to "treat the cause and not the symptom", I personally don't think it's a good idea to venture real far with alloys at all. A good set of steel (Sunraysia type for instance) would be my best bet for peace of mind - or even a set of splits!

I have just got a Hilux with alloys myself, and they are going as soon as I can decide on a tyre / rim combo to replace them with.

Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 20051

Reply By: Goodsy - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:28

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:28
Have seen a blunt brick chisel and a 4 pound hammer used on alloys very effectivly. Just work the chisel around the bead with a few hits from the hammer and of it pops.
AnswerID: 20053

Reply By: leighh - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:32

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 19:32
Hi Bluehealer,

After much deliberation on new SR5 with alloys I elected the R&R Beadbreaker. Very happy with its ease of use and little to no impact on rim. Particularly good at getting the last of the bead back over the rim without the need for all the gung ho macho stuff. At the end of the day its really the user who creates the problem through uninformed technique. Good instructions issued with product which also forms a handy reminder to the casual user when under pressure!! Easily used on tail gate which saves the wrestle on dirt. Very happy with my purchase.

Leigh H
AnswerID: 20054

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 23:15

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 23:15
I have seen that R&R have edge protectors (moulded out of teflon type plastic) for use with fancy rims to prevent damage. looks like a good idea. as for alloy wheels off road, well it's 4 time the tensile strenght of steel by weight, meaning much stronger if sufficient is used, pittty that when you do actuall exceed the strenght you cant bash it back into shape like a steel rimthat said for normal on road, beach's etc and general off roading. they are more than strong enough and make any vehcial ride & handle better due to less unsprung weight.

FollowupID: 12804

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 04:38

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 04:38
I have seen on the web that some people advertise using HiLift jacks as bead breakers. Put the tyre under the rear bumper and jack the car up using the side wall of the tyre as your base for the jack. Work your way around and it should break the bead.

As you are jacking from the back, leave the car in gear (and 4 wheel drive)and don't rely on the handbrake when you have part of the back end of the car off the ground. Watch the car doesn't slip off the jack as well if you get both rear wheels almost off the ground. If you don't want to damage your car, maybe use something else instead, like your mate's car.

Anyway, just don't blame me if you damage your car or fingers or other bones or anyone else if it all goes pear shaped using this idea !! Maybe best used only in emergencies and not to be relied apon.Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 20097

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 17:16

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 17:16
I have used my tyre pliers extremely successfully on my alloys a few times with no dramas. They seem to work well for me.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 20122

Sponsored Links