Camper Trailers

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 28, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 492 Views:2405 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
How robust REALLY is a Jayco Swan Outback? Would it last 2-3 years of a five person family (3 kids under 7) touring on and off road OZ? We are torn between the comfort and conveinience of a Jayco, and the reliability and toughness of a trailer such as a Trak Shak. Could a family live in a tent for that long? Pleeaassee! Anyone who can help us through genuine experience will be forever LOVED!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim fitzgerald - Saturday, Nov 03, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 03, 2001 at 01:00
alison my camper is over 20 years old has been every where you can imagime from frazer island to deserts to vic high country no breakdowns no problems that the ocaisonal use of a winch cant fix but i would suggest with three kids the jaco will be much too small for practical comfort for a family
AnswerID: 1324

Follow Up By: Alison - Saturday, Nov 03, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 03, 2001 at 01:00
Thanks so much for your input Tim, we really are terrified at the thought of spending our life savings on the wrong thing. I think the Jayco will do the job OK, but I just wanted some reassurance from some one who knows! Thanks again.
FollowupID: 407

Reply By: Tim Fitzgerald - Monday, Nov 05, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 05, 2001 at 01:00
just one more thing you should fit a treg or similar coupling as the standard unit is definately not up to the job and will break at the first sharp creek crossing leaving you stranded.
AnswerID: 1330

Follow Up By: Alison - Monday, Nov 05, 2001 at 01:00

Thanks Tim, we will do that. You mentioned the Vic high country. We will be travelling that area extensively if possible, how does the camper go on tracks with deep pot holes and ruts etc. We are a bit worried about not being able to match the the tyre track to the Troopy. Does this bother you much?
FollowupID: 410

Reply By: tim fitzgerald - Monday, Nov 05, 2001 at 01:00

1 if possible van should have same track as your truck/if not possible i would prefer van to be narrower than truck much easier through trees etc.
2 van should have same wheels / stud pattern as truck\
3independant suspension will travel better than leaf springs but leaf springs are low maintainance both will travel through deep holes and ruts you will be amazed where a well set up van will go
4 packing pack light and tight then no breakeages when you do your first pack at home pack van then empty it out get rid of half of contents and repack NOTE TAKE TWICE AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU THINK YOU WILL NEED NOW GET GOING AND ENJOY OZ
AnswerID: 1336

Reply By: Simon Nickson - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2001 at 01:00
Its a a complicated choice, but depending on exactly what you want to do, the choice becomes a bit easier. I have travelled a little with the trouble and strife and tin-lids. We tow a Camp/O/Matic trailer behind 98 TDi disco. Could never be happier. The wife likes comfortable campsites, but we have been over some rough tracks no problem at all. The Camp/O/Matic is one well built trailer. We generally tour for about 3 weeks. early next year we are going for 6 to 7 weeks. I have run into a few Jayco owners who have travelled off the bitumen, but not necessarily the black stuff and most were very unhappy. A few come over and check out our set up and then explain because when they get back home they are selling the Jayco for a Camper tariler. If you were sticking to the smooth stuff, a Jayco may be fine. You could take it through to Birdsville no problems, would it shake at apart, I don't know.

My own dilemma is that we are planning to travel for about 12 months in a few years. I could very comfortable live out of our trailer for that period. The wife is insisiting on a caravan, She wants the ducks guts off road. I don't want the expense and the size and bulk and I don't want to sell the traile. Some tuff decisions ahead. Good luck with the trip, I would certainly even comtemplate hiring a couple of options out as a test run. You don't want to regret a decision after a big $ outlay.

Cheers
AnswerID: 1343

Reply By: keith Walshe - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2001 at 01:00
I run a Td5 Disco with a camping trailer. I looked long and hard at the dsign of all trailers and "off road vans" (same domestic problems as others). Look underneath the thing and check the size and finish of the steel members, ask yourself if the structure looks like it can take twisting forces, look at the suspension, get a long tow bar (makes reversing a whole heap easier).
I finished up with a long travel independant suspension galvanised steel (large box section) frame, aluminium plate body trailer. The track was set identical to the Td5 and the hubs have the same bolt pattern. As a result I have 2 spare rims normally and 4 in a dire emergency.
Only problem was the trailer used chains to limit wheel travel and to pull spare wheel up under trailer - these ratter like fury. I am about to repalce the chain with a steel strap.
The other ting I would do differntly is to have springs set for an empty trailer (no camper top) and then use Polyairs to adjust as required.
AnswerID: 1345

Sponsored Links