PLENTY HWY

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 23:39
ThreadID: 4921 Views:2550 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
WE PLAN TO TRAVEL THE PLENTY HWY ABOUT AUG. THRU TO QLD UP TO CAIRNS . ON THE MAP IT LOOKS A BIT DIFICULT AT THE QLD END.COULD ANY ONE ADVISE ME OF WHAT TO EXPECT,IS TOWING A TRAILER CAMPER OK?WHAT CREEKS/RIVERS ETC.
AVERAGE SPEEDS . WHAT TO SEE ALONG WAY ETC.
WOULD APPRECIATE FEED BACK
DMECH WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 00:10

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 00:10
I Traveled the plenty Hwy 5 years ago and it was a good dirt road nothing that would tax a 4wd, saw a falcon on the track, this was a week before it was graded.
Brian
AnswerID: 20089

Reply By: lj - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 08:02

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 08:02
did the plenty from Boula to Gem Tree a short time ago... found to be almost all corrigated... managed to do aprox 80km/hr quite easily...found dropping tyre pressures to around 25psi made for much smoother ride. can do the whole lot in one day but it is a big day of driving... best to do it in to... get to see more sights
AnswerID: 20098

Follow Up By: Patsy - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:26

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:26
We did the Plenty Highway from Boulia to Gem Tree 2 years ago. At the time, it appeared that a new road was being constructed from the Boulia end so I am guessing that this will now be the better end of the road. I agree with lj's response and found that as well as being corrugated in a lot of areas, there were also a lot of soft patches of bulldust. Fuel can be obtained from Tobermorey but beware, it is quite expensive.
FollowupID: 12828

Follow Up By: Patsy - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:31

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:31
Forgot to tell you, we camped on the Georgina River for a night and found this to be a pleasant spot except for the roadtrains early in the evening and the giant wild boar that trotted around our camp all night. We travelled with a heavy slide on camper and our friends travelled with a small camp trailer behind a Suzuki Vitara and there were no problems with either apart from the bulldust invading each setup.
FollowupID: 12829

Reply By: Pat - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 12:33

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 12:33
Travelled the Plenty last July travelling west. At that time it was open to 4WD only until the graders where finished. We did it over two days and camped at Jervois in the camp ground. Our friends got their fuel there as well but we did on one tank. It was $1.36/lt for diesel and $1.50 for diesel at Tobermorey. We averaged around 80kph except in the bulldust patches where the graders where working. It's a formed up wide gravel road. A lot of the crossings have bitumen or concrete causeways. I would quite happily tow a camper through there behind my land cruiser. Road conditions change over time and it may be corrigated or bulldusty again but we found it very easy at 80k with no flat tyres or any damage. Definetly a highlight of our trip to the Territory. Also can across a guy doing it on a pushbike...
AnswerID: 20108

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 12:54

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 12:54
We travelled from Boulia to the Bundy Hwy turnoff over the Easter weekend. The road was pretty rough, but 80 was reasonable with trailer. I mentioned previously that oncoming vehicles doing about 120kph who didn't slow down caused us to have to replace two windscreens (thanks a... holes). The major river is the Georgina, but won't be an issue in August. There are several attractions off the main drag and good descriptions are available on the web. We went up the Bundy Hwy to go to Ampiliwatja. The Box Hole meteorite crater is a short distance off the Plenty at Dneiper and might be worth a look - we were pressed for time and couldn't stop. The country around this area is beautiful, with white trunked gums and rocky outcrops.
AnswerID: 20110

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 17:07

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 17:07
We did the trip last Augest as well, towing a Kimberly Kamper behind a petrol Jackaroo. Great trip but the corrugations were pretty bad especially on the Qld side. Also had some "fun" in a couple of the bulldust holes, they were awsome. We averaged about 80 km/hour. Overnite stop was at a huge dry river bed, plenty of room well off the road and good firewood. Also stopped by the river just outside Boulia and at Gem tree when we arrived there. All excellent camp spots.

Happy trails, Mike.

BTW, the road from Boulia north to the Isa is also full of wonderful scenery.
AnswerID: 20120

Reply By: Slammin - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 00:28

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 00:28
All above is correct I travel it regularly twice in last 6 mths. It is usally being graded somewher or other on NT side at most times.

Best off taking Tobermorey north to Urandangie (Urine Dangley) then to Isa, probly best not to take the station short cut as one grid is pretty........sharp. (check at Tober.- nice people and the prices are fair, at least buy a cuppa tea and a pack o' chips).

Also take Kennedy Developement Rd from Hughenden to Mt Garnet and come thru the back of the tablelands. its giving me goosebumps just thinking of going again. @2100ks best time 2 days. touring time $ is the limit! Potentially heaps to see. Isa, Richmond, Tablelands etc etc check out www.travelmate.com.au/mapmaker

Nice scenary on the dirt roads but don't fall asleep between Cloncurry and Hughenden! Definately check out Porcupine gorge.

Enjoy you lucky bugger.
AnswerID: 20170

Reply By: Kevin - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 14:03

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 14:03
We travelled the Plenty in September last year and found it to corrigated but in excellent condition. I would not hesitate to tow a Camper, just tae your time and "LET YOUR TYRES DOWN" and you should mimimise punctures.
AnswerID: 20208

Sponsored Links