Chambers Pillar

Submitted: Friday, May 16, 2003 at 17:39
ThreadID: 4950 Views:1775 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

I have read on this site that no camper trailers can camp at Chambers Pillars, so I would like to know if Chambers Pillars is considered to be a "day trek" from Alice Springs, or if there are other places nearer to Chambers Pillars that are worth camping in.

Thanks heaps
Tania

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 17:53

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 17:53
Please tell me where on this site it say's this?

It hopefully indicates that to erect a camper trailer is difficult due to the location of bollards and fencing around the designated camping areas. You basically need to setup on the road and this can be a pain as it is away from the fire places etc. Also the loop road is very narrow so it is difficult - this is what the site should say.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 20234

Follow Up By: Tang - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 18:47

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 18:47
Oops - Sorry David - I meant because of the bollards, then camper trailers would have problems - sorry about the wording I originally used.........
FollowupID: 12956

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 18:58

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 18:58
Thanks I was just making sure you had not found soething somewhere else on the site with the number of pages we have to update you can never be to carefull. All the best.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 12957

Reply By: Billy - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 17:55

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 17:55
When we were there this time last year there was a guy in a pop to in there towed by a Pajero. He had to be dug out a couple of times on the dunes getting out. If you had something with a bit more clearance and IFS on the trailer you would probably be OK. The road in there from Maryvale is rough as guts (never graded), corrogated sand mostly, a few dunes towards the end and one way for some of it. The camping area has bollards which makes it difficult for trailers. Personally I would not tow anything in there, not because you can't but because you would probably break something.

We did it as a day trip from Rainbow Valley, but it was a BIG day. Another option is to stay at Jim's Place at Stuart's Well great meals, hot showers and cold beer. We stopped there for a shower and a feed on the way back, Jim even had the Dingo playing the piano!. The road accross from the Highway via the Hugh river was in pretty good nick except through the reservation. There is also camping at Oak Valley on that road but we never went in.

Regds Bill
AnswerID: 20235

Follow Up By: Tang - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 19:14

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 19:14
Thanks for that Bill.

Could I just ask how BIG a day it was - in hours to and from Rainbow Valley???? And, what is the camping like at Rainbow Valley???

Thanks heaps
Tania
FollowupID: 12958

Follow Up By: GOB vic - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 19:45

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 19:45
take a tent and camp in ther the bone rattling in and out is worth the trip but i felt it was worth the trouble (we shook our gas tank free )camp over night it gives your bones time to settle honesty box for fees clean toilets no showers and good barbies we went august 2002

steve89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
FollowupID: 12964

Follow Up By: Billy - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 17:44

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 17:44
Tania,

ALl I can remember is we left Rainbow after B'fast and stopped at Start's well on the way back about 5:00PM. Back to camp that evening.

Rainbow Valley camping us much the same as Chambers, bollards all round. Good basic facilities (no showers), including gas bbq's and burners if I remember correctly. There are free ranger tours at both Rainbow and Chambers a day after reach other (same ranger goes between), I think it's Sat and Sun once a month but check. If you can time it it's worth it. There is a "back way" from Rainbow to Chambers which pased through native land that the rangers use, we never had time to look into it but others may know.

Regds

Billy
FollowupID: 13048

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 19:50

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 19:50
Wife did day trip from Alice 14 hours i thinkRegards Bob
Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 20246

Reply By: Steve - Friday, May 16, 2003 at 21:37

Friday, May 16, 2003 at 21:37
Tang: for my money i wouldn't want to bring a trailer to Chambers Pillar ... (got and 80 series cruiser) .. the road is tricky in parts and some sand heaps that may prove troublesome for a trailer unit .. suggest u overnight at Rainbow Gorge as its an easy spot to set up etc.. Chambers Pillar areas are small, tight , and unless u are very friendly with your neighbours u may prefer to be elsewhere ..!! but either way both are only a day trip each from Alice.. Maryvale is nearby and is an Aboriginal community.. u may even overnight there or at the station ... its a lovely part of the world , whatever u do don't rush !! have a look at the river- usually dry ..
AnswerID: 20252

Reply By: Member - Paul- Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 10:17

Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 10:17
I think that some of the reply's you have here are overstating how difficult it actually is to get into Chambers Pillar.
Having done this trip several times with & most recently without a camper trailer in various weather conditions I would say that the track in
is pretty good. A little rough in places with some minimal sand dunes once you enter the park, but this is what makes the trip worthwile. I do however agree with the comments about the bollards marking out the camping areas. You will find this a problem for fitting in a camper trailer. All this aside I would recommend an overnite stay at Chambers Pillar as I usually find it a magnificent place to vist.Where to next time??????????????
AnswerID: 20287

Reply By: Mike - Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 17:02

Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 17:02
Hi Tang,we towed a Kimberly kamper in to Chambers, last August. Yes the road is as rough as guts, but with a decent off road trailer, quite drivable and worth it to get a comfortable o/night stay. I found the bollards made it a bit tight, but no more than lots of other NP sites. I would recommend an o/night to give you plenty of time to enjoy what the area has to offer. I was a wonderful part of our trip.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 20365

Reply By: Tang - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 13:53

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 13:53
Thanks everyone for the great information - will take it all onboard to work out the best and easiest way to see Chambers Pillar................
AnswerID: 20420

Sponsored Links