Dubbo 4x4 Trips

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:08
ThreadID: 5037 Views:8616 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all

Does anybody know of any trips that may be wortwhile around the Dubbo (NSW) area? Weekend or long weekend. If so are there any Map references.

Thanks in advance.
PT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:18

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:18
Paul

how close to Dubbo are you talking? There is the Warrumbungles just out of Coonabarabran (couple of hours drive north of Dubbo). Siding Springs Observatory is up there. Beautiful scenery, great bush walking. Check out the Bread Knife.

This what you are after?

Sam.
AnswerID: 20595

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:33

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:33
Sam

Actually sounds great. My wife and I want to visit the Western Plains Zoo at Dubbo and thought we might do a little bit of sight seeing on the way.

I hadn't given the Warrumbungles any thought until you mentioned it.

Are there any 4x4 tracks, camp areas etc or is it 2wd tracks.

Cheers

PT
FollowupID: 13215

Reply By: Jack - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:43

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:43
Hi Paul:
I am off to the Warrumbungles this weekend .. there are no 4WD tracks there .. but the Pilliga State Forest is close by and I intend to take a spin through there.
Dubbo??? I find it hard to get past the wineries .... hic .....
Safe travels ...
Jack
AnswerID: 20598

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:52

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 19:52
Paul

last time I was there, it was about 1990 I think (other than a quick fuel stop in Coonabarabran easter last year). When we went, it was in a falcon sedan. I am unsure of 4wd tracks in this area, but as Jack said, Piliga Nature Reservet is just nearby (on the way to Narrabri). Its certainly worth a look and there is plenty of camping in there from memory aswell.

Also depending on your time frame and route (and this may be getting a bit out of your way, but Mount Kaputa National Park about 45 mins north of Narrabri is also worth a look (from memory, Narrabri is roughly 1 hr north of Coonabarabran). The views are amazing and you can camp there too.

How long have you got and what route were you thinking of taking?

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 20600

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:17

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:17
Sam

Route not finalised but will probably travel from Swansea (Lake Macquarie) to Muswellbrook, Scone etc.

Time we will have will be 4 days max for round trip.

Cheers

PaulPT
FollowupID: 13219

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:29

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:29
Given you are heading up that way, Kaputa might not be too far out of your way then. As I said, the views are amazing. And the Warrumbungles are a must do.

On the southern side of Dubbo you have Wellington Caves and Lake Burrendong. Never been to the caves, but have heard good things about them.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 20610

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:32

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:32
Sam

Thanks heaps, yours and Jacks info helps heaps.

Hope to see you both on the track..

Many thanksPT
FollowupID: 13224

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 21:25

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 21:25
Paul,
Wellington caves are excellent, on the site is also the phosphate mine which is even Wheel chair accessible! the caravan park next to the caves is very popular with vaner's & there are a number of areas in the Burrendong rec. area for camping. there are two or three caves to do tours through plus the mine. if going to the warrumbungles remember it get Bloody cold at night time through winter there are signs warning people camping over night to make sure you have anti freeze in radiator or drain it! that said the place has very good camping facilities, powered sites, showers etc.. camping areas to suit most people.

I Had a fun morning in july several years ago in the camping ground at the NP a guy in a tojo went to start up and only got "clunk", motor was frozen. yes his motor had green stuff in it, pitty it didn't have enough glycol in it though. for some reason he didn't like the Idea of building a fire under it to warn the block up so he would have had to wait for it to thaw out.(I hope the poor guy's motor wasn't damaged by the freeze up) It was a very real reminder to make sure you have your coolant mixed properly.
FollowupID: 13236

Reply By: Bruce - cycadcenter - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:13

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:13
If you are coming in from Scone why not come through Coolah Tops National Park along the top of the Liverpool Range, There is a 4WD track in from the Merriwa side and come out the Coolah side. Great scenery, good camp sites, great hiking, incredible views over the liverpool plains. it might get a chilly up there at night now. NPWS has a pamphlet available.

I was up there looking for plants a couple of months ago, it was bone dry around Coolah but 10kms away in the park beautiful lush green with ferns etc.

The Pilliga is also interesting with hundreds of kms of tracks, the Forestry Service has a great map just of the pilliga available at the office in Baradine. . I spent a few days in there plotting plant populations after the fire and there is lots of wildlife including a couple of colonies of kolas and lots of pigs. Be careful on some of the roads on the west side of the highway around "top crossing" as they turn to quicksand after rain.

Happy treks

Bruce

AnswerID: 20629

Reply By: Dozer - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:55

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 23:55
Hi
Other points of interest is the Parks dish, aswell as Trundle (is it) with the widest main street in oz/the southern helisphere?. Lovely country to be travelling thru!
Andrew
AnswerID: 20636

Sponsored Links